Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who lifts?

Imaginarynumber1

Anyone else here like to lift?

I've been lifting seriously for about a year and a half now, I recently switched to a new program that is kicking my ass, but already showing great results.

Figured if anyone else lifts we could share tips, tricks, brag about pr's, etc.

• Like 5

Ok imaginarysixpack, you taking weights or going up and down in a lift as opposed to using the stairs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Regularly for about 17 years, 4 to 5 days a week at the moment

I did powerlifting at one time but now do a more generic routine

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ok imaginarysixpack, you taking weights or going up and down in a lift as opposed to using the stairs? 

Both and all of the above

How am I supposed to take a gorilla one on one if i don't get my gains?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Regularly for about 17 years, 4 to 5 days a week at the moment

I did powerlifting at one time but now do a more generic routine

I just came off a 6 day PPL split ive been doing for the past 6 months or so. Stopped seeing any progress so ive transitioned to a pretty high intensity 6 day split. Lower volume, higher reps kind of program.

I'm quite happy with the numbers I can put up, just looking for more aesthetics now, i suppose.

• Like 1

This thread is pointless if we don't have before and after pics of all the lifters :mellow: ..................... then we know if their bragging is justified or not.

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

This thread is pointless if we don't have before and after pics of all the lifters :mellow: ..................... then we know if their bragging is justified or not.

When i'm done with this program in 5 more weeks I will post before and after. 

Dont have any others 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've lifted on and off, mostly on, since I was 12; I'm 33 now. Began bodybuilding, then went into powerlifting, now I'm what they would call a "powerbuilder." Or... something.

Tips and tricks? Nutrition, there's your tip and trick. You get out of your program what you put into it. Consistency. Progressive overload. Intensity. Rest. It doesn't matter what training program you're using, if those other things aren't in place, you're wasting your time. 

For as long as I can remember, I've been an advocate of lower volume training. That recommendation is highly dependant on people's genetics, but lower volume, high intensity training along with proper nutrition (also highly individual) and ample rest is going to make even the hardest gainer see results. I'm also a huge proponent of cardio exercise, even on off days. 

I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread.

• Like 3

Logs, big boards, big chainsaws and my competition axes. People ask me my workout secret. I tell them "work".  :lol:

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I never had a "before" pic. Unless you want to see a grade school pic of a skinny sickly 10 year old.  :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Logs, big boards, big chainsaws and my competition axes. People ask me my workout secret. I tell them "work".  :lol:

Certain kinds of regular manual labor is a pretty good "workout" the technical term for it is "non-exercise physical activity" NEPA, most people don't have physical jobs any more and struggle to be active so they have to go to the gym to compensate, I'd say the average person out there just needs to be more active period, pick something you like and stick with it

• Thanks 1

Been lifting since around 12 and doing combat sports since i was 9 or 10...

Now i'm a trainer of both...

Broke my foot in 3 places 5 weeks back and havn't been able to train much at all recently... <_<

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I've lifted on and off, mostly on, since I was 12; I'm 33 now. Began bodybuilding, then went into powerlifting, now I'm what they would call a "powerbuilder." Or... something.

Tips and tricks? Nutrition, there's your tip and trick. You get out of your program what you put into it. Consistency. Progressive overload. Intensity. Rest. It doesn't matter what training program you're using, if those other things aren't in place, you're wasting your time. 

For as long as I can remember, I've been an advocate of lower volume training. That recommendation is highly dependant on people's genetics, but lower volume, high intensity training along with proper nutrition (also highly individual) and ample rest is going to make even the hardest gainer see results. I'm also a huge proponent of cardio exercise, even on off days. 

I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread.

Diet is 100% the most important aspect.

I have a love/hate relationship with cardio. I love how i feel after and the result, but god do hate doing it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I have a love/hate relationship with cardio. I love how i feel after and the result, but god do hate doing it.

No doubt :tu:

Get a heavy bag...cardio is much more enjoyable when you get to punch something :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Anyone else here like to lift?

I've been lifting seriously for about a year and a half now, I recently switched to a new program that is kicking my ass, but already showing great results.

Figured if anyone else lifts we could share tips, tricks, brag about pr's, etc.

What kind of program are you doing? 

Ive recently kinda given up on lifting due to health issues but it was a HUGE part of my life for a very long time. 

7 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I was the same way but after about 5 years of focusing on powerlifting I found myself around 300# and decided I wanted to lean up so I used the Navy learn to run program and ill be damned if I wasn't addicted to the runners high within about 6 weeks. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

No doubt :tu:

Get a heavy bag...cardio is much more enjoyable when you get to punch something :lol:

I have a heavy bag and a free standing one. Boxing is fun but as much as i hate running, though, i love running. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

What kind of program are you doing? 

Ive recently kinda given up on lifting due to health issues but it was a HUGE part of my life for a very long time. 

I'm doing a 6 day split. High volume, lower weight that what i'm used to, but it's more more high intensity. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

I found myself around 300#

Speaking of which...….when you read the # as pound and not hashtag it puts the #metoo movement into a wholly different light :lol:

….sorry

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Certain kinds of regular manual labor is a pretty good "workout" the technical term for it is "non-exercise physical activity" NEPA, most people don't have physical jobs any more and struggle to be active so they have to go to the gym to compensate, I'd say the average person out there just needs to be more active period, pick something you like and stick with it

I'm happier and healthy than my brother who is director of a hospital. :tu:

I add a little extra moves to increase the effect. I walk to spots on the farm instead of driving. I swim in the river all the time. 

I also think working outdoors keeps you healthier too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

I'm on call 12 hours a night 6 days a week to do removals of the deceased for the county and for various funeral homes. It's not easy to carry a 300+ pound body from the second floor with family watching the entire time, or having to pull a body out of what was once a car.

Not only do i find lifting enjoyable, but it for sure helps with work, too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

I've lifted a lot of heavy things over the years, many which I regret.

• Like 1

I have never done barbell front squats until today.

I am convinced that they were invented in the dark ages as some horrible form of torture

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I LOVE front squats. One of the most painful (and effective) exercises you can do for quads. Love me some hack squats, too. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I LOVE front squats. One of the most painful (and effective) exercises you can do for quads. Love me some hack squats, too. 

They're in my routine now so I better start loving them.

I can put up around 300 or so for reps on a back squat. Could barely do 135 on fronts. Had to drop to 95 just to get through all my sets.

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I have never done barbell front squats until today.

I am convinced that they were invented in the dark ages as some horrible form of torture

It requires less heel flexibility to go low so it is easier to go low than a normal squat.

If wrist/finger flexibility is a problem you can use two straps around the bar and hold those instead of putting your fingers under the bar.

I have seen people whose front & regular squat numbers were the same but they are the exception, most people do about 60% of their regular squat when trying the front squat

• Like 1