Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who lifts?

Imaginarynumber1

On 19/7/2018 at 10:32 PM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Broke my fast at just short of six days. A buddy of mine was a former restaurateur in Atlanta before he moved here, a professional chef, and wanted to treat me to some of his cooking as a friendly gesture. I wasn't about to turn it down, not social engagements like that. ****ing live a little, yea? I still kept it clean and keto with black sesame seed crusted tuna steak, some center cut pork chops, a few bites of lamb, huge salad and about a tablespoon of his raspberry chocolate cheesecake that I doubt exceeded ten grams of carbs. Didn't crave sugar at all even with plenty there, which was the primary purpose of this fast - sugar cravings and food discipline. 

All in all, I still overate a little but after that meal, it's straight back into fasting. Another friend of mine wants to take me out Sunday (I may just not eat) and I'll be visiting my aunt next week, which will DEFINITELY be a fast break. That's what it's all about, though, giving yourself leeway in your social life while still being as disciplined as possible otherwise. 

Still felt just fine on this sixth day, so may go longer next depending on when I visit family. Wish me luck, I'm quite enjoying this.      

As someone who has had half his stomach removed, I can tell you they fasting for any length of time is bad for you.

Can you clarify that? What does fasting have to do with part of your stomach being removed? 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry

18 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Can you clarify that? What does fasting have to do with part of your stomach being removed? 

Your stomach is designed to be used continually. IE it's always in a constant state on spasm, or moving. It's not meant to be empty. Fasting causes digestive system issues, it causes constipation and it can cause the bacteria in your small intestines to grow out of control causng infection.

Basically as a result of the Cancer I had, part of my stomach and part of my esophagus removed. The complications from this are the same as people experience when they do extreme fasting. Your stomach becomes smaller, some people's can't function they get dumping syndrome (which is the emptying of food to the intestines too soon, this causes perforations and blockage which may result in needing an operation), as result of stomach shrinking you might experience vomiting, constipation and the intestine issues.

Anyways, I was informed that we are supposed to eat little and often. My doctor compared my possible complications as fasting for a two weeks, then eating a big meal. That meal stays in your system longer because you r body is trying to extract as much nutrition as possible from that meal. Which can lead to the above-mentioned problems.

But hay what do I know right? Go consult your GP or a dietitian about it.

Edited by danydandan

People have been using intermediate fasting to change physique composition for a few years now (first I heard of it was 2011 I think.) But that is for people willing to take risks for aesthetic reasons. Plain old good diet should be fine for your average person IMO

• 1 month later...

Did my first full upper body workout for 2 months tonight and I'm well chuffed. Been nursing a couple of injuries, mainly rotator cuff, and I finally cured it by basically becoming a pillow cocoon when I sleep. Feel like a new man.

• Like 2

As a teen in the 1990's, the most I could lift back then was 170 lbs.  But I was very skinny back then.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Just pulled a 465 lbs deadlift. Pretty happy with myself right now

Oh go on and do one more in Kilograms ...

~

14 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Oh go on and do one more in Kilograms ...

~

one day, when i have my cyborg gorilla body

• Like 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

one day, when i have my cyborg gorilla body

You gotta find your spark again Optimus  ...

~

[00.01:04]

~

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Making progress on my quest to fight a gorilla

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Snowflake.

39 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Snowflake.

Thought I was a *******. Can never keep it straight these days.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Just pulled a 465 lbs deadlift. Pretty happy with myself right now

Nice one. I've only started to deadlift recently and looking forward to seeing how far I can go. I'm not even close to that yet though.

For me I first got a set of 2.5kg dumbbells when I was about 11yrs old. So I grew up with doing weights. So I've done them on and off my whole life for fun but nothing too serious. I never really understood the diet part when I was younger but now days I'm pretty much a clean eater. I don't drink or do any drugs etc. My only vice is a packet of chips over the weekend as a treat but even then I feel guilty lol. So my diet is pretty much chicken, salmon(when it's cheap), brown rice and veggies. And I only drink water with bcaas(even just a little to flavour the water).

Recently though I've gone a bit more serious in the last 4 or so years. I pretty much go to the gym about 5 days a week and my main problem is overworking(and trying to sleep). I'm not really a powerlifter though but I do somewhat powerlift with bench and now starting deadlift and maybe squats(still warming them up too). I've always hated leg day but I've getting my head around it more and just doing it.

So I'm pretty lean I guess for my age(43). I've never been overweight but right now I weigh almost the exact same as I did in high school. So I get decent muscle definition I guess. I'm trying to get heavier but while keeping the definition. I'm not naturally a big eater and if I take a breather from weights I tend to naturally fast(which is somewhat good but I lose mass quick). But I don't mind, I just enjoy the feeling of doing the exercises and building back up again.

I just wish I had a spotter sometimes. I don't like working out with others but a spotter would be helpful.

1 minute ago, Kazahel said:

I just wish I had a spotter sometimes. I don't like working out with others but a spotter would be helpful.

I don't use collars on my bars since all my equipment is in my basement and sometimes i lift really heavy.

If I were at a gym i'd just do the roll of shame if i failed on a bench

16 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I don't use collars on my bars since all my equipment is in my basement and sometimes i lift really heavy.

If I were at a gym i'd just do the roll of shame if i failed on a bench

Yeah I don't use them either at home so I'm ready for that. Right now I can't/don't bench more than 100kg. Though I'm hoping to change that.

Anyway this is my ego pic from feb this year.

Febl2019.jpg

Edited by Kazahel
pic
  • Like 1