Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

US Army makes large armored vehicle purchase

19 posts in this topic

The Caspian Hare

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/06/27/army-makes-massive-bradley-buy-up-to-473-vehicles-to-prep-for-major-power-war.html

The Army is massively revving up its fleet of Bradley Fighting Vehicles through a recent deal to add up to 473 of the new infantry carriers, service officials said.

The move represents a key portion of a broader Army push to prepare its arsenal of armored combat vehicles for major power land war - and further pave the way toward a new generation of combat platforms for the 2030s and beyond.

While the Army of course has thousands of Bradleys in its inventory, the size of this buy is extremely significant because, among other things, it acquires the newest generation of Bradley vehicles - something designed to lay key groundwork for longer-term high-priority ground vehicle modernization plans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gromdor

It's a good way for the government to generate jobs.  Not seeing us in a major power ground war.  The proxy fights we do now seem to be the status quo.

• Like 1

The Caspian Hare
39 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It's a good way for the government to generate jobs.  Not seeing us in a major power ground war.  The proxy fights we do now seem to be the status quo.

I dunno seems different from your typical pork purchase,

Only enemy for last 8 years has been scruffy guys in sandals or black pumas but the next war who knows shrug.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gromdor
9 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Only enemy for last 8 years has been scruffy guys in sandals or black pumas but the next war who knows shrug.gif

8 years?  We've been doing this since the end of WWII.  Pretty sure any major war with a nuclear power would have those Bradleys vaporized before it reached inside their borders.  I think it's pork.  They make for pretty good parade vehicles though.

• Like 1

The Caspian Hare
2 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

8 years?  We've been doing this since the end of WWII.  Pretty sure any major war with a nuclear power would have those Bradleys vaporized before it reached inside their borders.  I think it's pork.  They make for pretty good parade vehicles though.

well Korea, Vietnam & GW1 were all major conventional wars, and even war with nuclear power doesn't mean nuclear weapons get used at the outset otherwise there wouldn't have been a need for US to maintain 200K in West Germany for 40 years

And they're terrible for parades their tracks tear the hell out of roads, but a Stryker is good for parade, not so good if you're fighting people tho, JMHO :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Piney
40 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Internal? or near a border where I use to chase cows around. :whistle:

• Haha 1

Gromdor

I can see them maybe driving around Syria or for an invasion of Iran I suppose.  I would hardly call those major powers.

• Like 1

and then
1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

They make for pretty good parade vehicles though.

I just hope they don't replace a few hundred that wind up on our city streets :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Risky
2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I can see them maybe driving around Syria or for an invasion of Iran I suppose.  I would hardly call those major powers.

its a big buy and the important thing is the introduction of new tech and survivability on an old platform. so the army must be privy to what the next war/wars will need. my bet is the Middle East. 

AnchorSteam

I know the Bradley, I helped 3 different units transition to it.  If I was headed into a totally unknown situation with unlimited variables, that's the one I would want. It can even swim.... badly, with a flotation screen up.

The one thing I don't like it for is recon, its just too big and too noisy. 

So, if flexibility is the goal, its a good choice.

• Thanks 1

Piney

5 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

too noisy. 

This I don't get. John Deere can make a quiet loader that will break anything but itself and go through anything but the military uses crappy diesels ( Detroits?)  which do nothing but make a lot of noise.

Thanato

Odds are it's to replace old warn out vehicles. Happens all the time.

• Like 1

The Caspian Hare
29 minutes ago, Thanato said:

Odds are it's to replace old warn out vehicles. Happens all the time.

It's 8 battalions worth, an order that big definitely does not happen all the time down here

Now how much is new manufacture and how much is just upgraded hulls I don't know.

Thanato
2 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

It's 8 battalions worth, an order that big definitely does not happen all the time down here

Now how much is new manufacture and how much is just upgraded hulls I don't know.

8 battalions is a drop in the business jet for the US Army. Canada replaced hundreds of LAV 3s with LAV 6s. Most likely an upgrade as I don't believe they are on the product tion line anymore.

The Caspian Hare
1 minute ago, Thanato said:

8 battalions is a drop in the business jet for the US Army. Canada replaced hundreds of LAV 3s with LAV 6s. Most likely an upgrade as I don't believe they are on the product tion line anymore.

Down here they don't tend place such a large order at once that I can remember, this is significant & not the typical replacement order, probably not just replacing stuff from OIF anymore at this point either, so it might be some modernization initiative they're following

Here our MArines use the LAV, but army got its derivative the Stryker which is full of problems IMO, when they need a proper ground war fought they're still going to the Bradleys after all these years

Thanato
2 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

Down here they don't tend place such a large order at once that I can remember, this is significant & not the typical replacement order, probably not just replacing stuff from OIF anymore at this point either, so it might be some modernization initiative they're following

Here our MArines use the LAV, but army got its derivative the Stryker which is full of problems IMO, when they need a proper ground war fought they're still going to the Bradleys after all these years

Stryker is based on the LAV 3, they took the 25mm off and replaced it with a .50 cal. The LAV 3 is a great battle tested IFV.

If they want to upgrade old equipment they would place the order. Makes sense to place an order to upgrade large amounts of equipment to cut the cost.

The Caspian Hare
1 minute ago, Thanato said:

Stryker is based on the LAV 3, they took the 25mm off and replaced it with a .50 cal. The LAV 3 is a great battle tested IFV.

If they want to upgrade old equipment they would place the order. Makes sense to place an order to upgrade large amounts of equipment to cut the cost.

An we will need more than a .50 cal. Down here acquisition of the Stryker for us came from a late 90's mentality (General Shinseki et al) when they thought peacekeeping missions were the future; turns out there are still a few actual wars around and we won't be fighting anything in them with a Stryker that we wouldn't be fighting better with a tank &/or bradley. Which is why we keep buying them. This seems about 110-120 mech infantry platoons worth here, not insignificant even given the thousands already in the inventory.

Thanato
17 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

An we will need more than a .50 cal. Down here acquisition of the Stryker for us came from a late 90's mentality (General Shinseki et al) when they thought peacekeeping missions were the future; turns out there are still a few actual wars around and we won't be fighting anything in them with a Stryker that we wouldn't be fighting better with a tank &/or bradley. Which is why we keep buying them. This seems about 110-120 mech infantry platoons worth here, not insignificant even given the thousands already in the inventory.

The Stryker is based on a good vehicle and at least the initial few hi Fred were built in the same factory in London, Ontario. But they need to have the firepower to deal with threats. They seem to have rectified that issue some what by putting the new 30mm turret on some.

It should of rolled out as a LAV 3 copy. Though now the LAV 6 is built on the lessons learnt of the hard fighting the LAV 3 saw in Kandahar for 6 years.

aztek

part of Mexican wall? lol