Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New flying drone slips through tight spaces

Still Waters

A team of researchers at JSK Lab at the University of Tokyo has created a new type of drone called DRAGON, which is shaped like a snake. The team has written a paper describing their robot and recently presented it at the International Conference on Robotics and Automation—they have also posted it on their website.

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-06-dragon-robot-tight-spaces.html

DRAGON, short for 'Dual-rotor embedded multilink Robot with the Ability of multi-deGree-of-freedom aerial transformatiON,' can transform into multiple shapes including a square and a snake.

There are not many indoor aerial robots due to constraints coming from door frames, as well as various hazards including windows and furniture.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5902555/The-flying-dragon-robot-shapeshift-mid-air-squeeze-tight-spaces.html

• Like 3

Secret facility commander:

"Purge the air in those locations, NOW"

Drone drops to the ground.

Edited by pallidin

Aside from looking cool, what's the point? Why not just make it small? Why bother making it more complex than it needs to be?

The Japanese sure make some seriously good tech. A little refinement and robots like these can be used in search and rescue and other applications.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nzo said:

The Japanese sure make some seriously good tech. A little refinement and robots like these can be used in search and rescue and other applications.

I thought the same. When I watched the video I thought they could have used something like this to search for the soccer team lost in the cave in Thailand 

I see little advantage over a smaller drone with LIDAR