Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A space war could make space inaccessible

UM-Bot

Well, maybe we deserve to be grounded. Work out our **** down here first.

@ Seti42
(sarcasm on) Yeah, making it impossible for satellites to orbit earth will definitely help work out things "down here". (sarcasm off)

Edited by Menhir
  • Like 1

And 95% of this junk is made by America. A cruel reality

15 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

well not really 95% of it is made by America

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/space-debris-garbage-statistics-country-list-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

they have the largest amount of debris in orbit

but if japan succeeds in their idea, they will clean up a lot 

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/13/tech/space-sweepers-astroscale-japan/index.html

would be funny if they charged each country what has put junk in orbit clean up fees :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

And you can back that "fact" up? Of course you can't because it's not true.

Consider this a friendly warning qxcontinuum, you are making a lot of false posts in the space sections. I suggest you stop inventing your own facts.

A reminder that the rules of this site contains the following:

2d. Accuracy: Do not post material that is knowingly or intentionally false, inaccurate or misleading.

• Like 4

Numbers and statistics aside, it would seem common sense would tell you that the nation going into the space the most would naturally cause the majority of space junk.

That was just an opportunity for you to hate on good 'ol America lol...

Edited by TomasaurusREKT

15 minutes ago, TomasaurusREKT said:

Numbers and statistics aside, it would seem common sense would tell you that the nation going into the space the most would naturally cause the majority of space junk.

That was just an opportunity for you to hate on good 'ol America lol...

Except that the USA has not produced the most space junk, Russia/Soviet Union has.

Also, until the end of the cold war the Soviet Union launched more satellites annually than the USA did.

Indeed 2017 was the first time that the USA headed the list of nations launching sa tellies on its own since 2003 (it was joint top with China in 2016).

• Like 3

All this sounds like the premise for the old Andy Griffith show, "Salvage".  only lasted 20 episodes, but I liked it.  Just quirky enough to be fun.

More than likely it will accelerate a moon base or bases because the advantage is to have a moon base to transcend the competition. In fact I would say that the first nation to build a viable moon base can essentially declare the moon their property regardless of current treaties. So let the race begin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nzo said:

More than likely it will accelerate a moon base or bases because the advantage is to have a moon base to transcend the competition.

How so?

How can the threat of not being able to reach space be motivation for reaching the moon. This argument makes no sense at all. If low Earth orbit is no longer reachable then higher orbits... and the moon will no longer  be reachable. If no spacecraft can travel between the Earth and the Moon then a Moon base will have no use at all.

2 hours ago, Nzo said:

In fact I would say that the first nation to build a viable moon base can essentially declare the moon their property regardless of current treaties.

You do know that sentence is an oxymoron don't you?

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

How so?

How can the threat of not being able to reach space be motivation for reaching the moon. This argument makes no sense at all. If low Earth orbit is no longer reachable then higher orbits... and the moon will no longer  be reachable. If no spacecraft can travel between the Earth and the Moon then a Moon base will have no use at all.

You do know that sentence is an oxymoron don't you?

It must be really scary being in your mind lol. In your imaginary world killer satellites and space stations are surrounding the world. This whole article is just someones paranoia getting away with them. Its just false conjecture. A space race is what is needed to focus peoples energies toward space exploration. Don't worry, I promise there wont be anything to worry about, except maybe Made in China space junk falling on your house. That unfortunately I cannot control.

• Like 1

Right, he is going to build another branch of military, we don't need (Air Force has done fine with space.) and congress isn't going to pay for. Space is not something one nation can really afford to pay for and a war in space is a fool's folly.    The only way to develop space is international cooperation. 

3 hours ago, Nzo said:

It must be really scary being in your mind lol. In your imaginary world killer satellites and space stations are surrounding the world. This whole article is just someones paranoia getting away with them. Its just false conjecture. A space race is what is needed to focus peoples energies toward space exploration. Don't worry, I promise there wont be anything to worry about, except maybe Made in China space junk falling on your house. That unfortunately I cannot control.

mate what are you smoking? I seriously want some.. 

the article is basically saying that if a war in space happened.. it would be effective in stopping us getting into space.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chinese_anti-satellite_missile_test#Space_debris_tracking

Space debris tracking[edit]

Anti-satellite missile tests, especially ones involving kinetic kill vehicles as in this case, contribute to the formation of orbital space debris which can remain in orbit for many years and could interfere with future space activity (Kessler Syndrome).[6] This event was the largest recorded creation of space debris in history with more than 2,000 pieces of trackable size (golf ball size and larger) officially cataloged in the immediate aftermath, and an estimated 150,000 debris particles.[24][25] As of October 2016, a total of 3,438 pieces of debris had been detected, with 571 decayed and 2,867 still in orbit nine years after the incident.[26]

More than half of the tracked debris orbits the Earth with a mean altitude above 850 kilometres (530 mi), so they would likely remain in orbit for decades or centuries.[27] Based on 2009 and 2013 calculations of solar flux, the NASA Orbital Debris Program Officeestimated that around 30% of the larger-than-10 centimetres (3.9 in) debris would still be in orbit in 2035.[28]

In April 2011, debris from the Chinese test passed 6 km away from the International Space Station.[29]

and that was just one sat being taken out like that.. now imagine that 10 fold.. you would not launch anything into space.. so forget a moon base and stuff like that.. hell forget even having your cell phones.. GPS.. etc.. because that kind of thing will end up taking out the satellites that your cell phone and your GPS uses.. 

6 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

mate what are you smoking? I seriously want some.. 

the article is basically saying that if a war in space happened.. it would be effective in stopping us getting into space.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chinese_anti-satellite_missile_test#Space_debris_tracking

Space debris tracking[edit]

Anti-satellite missile tests, especially ones involving kinetic kill vehicles as in this case, contribute to the formation of orbital space debris which can remain in orbit for many years and could interfere with future space activity (Kessler Syndrome).[6] This event was the largest recorded creation of space debris in history with more than 2,000 pieces of trackable size (golf ball size and larger) officially cataloged in the immediate aftermath, and an estimated 150,000 debris particles.[24][25] As of October 2016, a total of 3,438 pieces of debris had been detected, with 571 decayed and 2,867 still in orbit nine years after the incident.[26]

More than half of the tracked debris orbits the Earth with a mean altitude above 850 kilometres (530 mi), so they would likely remain in orbit for decades or centuries.[27] Based on 2009 and 2013 calculations of solar flux, the NASA Orbital Debris Program Officeestimated that around 30% of the larger-than-10 centimetres (3.9 in) debris would still be in orbit in 2035.[28]

In April 2011, debris from the Chinese test passed 6 km away from the International Space Station.[29]

and that was just one sat being taken out like that.. now imagine that 10 fold.. you would not launch anything into space.. so forget a moon base and stuff like that.. hell forget even having your cell phones.. GPS.. etc.. because that kind of thing will end up taking out the satellites that your cell phone and your GPS uses.. 

I don't smoke but you must be smoking some seriously potent stuff because this article is all conjecture.... 'IF' this happens then this "MAY" happen. You are taking it as gospel.

Here let me express it to you in another fashion. 'IF' killer satellites were to make a trip to the moon troublesome, then our scientists would 'probably' create countermeasures to make it happen relatively safely.

Very very dangerous to take opinion, even educated opinions over reality and concrete research(which there is very little of these days). Especially opinions about the future. Especially these days where every news report, every critique is laced with a political spin.

No one knows how it will unfold except that person lucky enough to be standing on that one rock that is in the asteroid belt that allows him to see and do all... This is fiction as well... don't believe this last sentence that I just wrote.

ok I still think your missing the whole point of the OP and what even I said.. 

a space war would fill the LEO with a lot of debris .. try to launch something into that and you can kiss what ever you are launching goodbye.. hell.. when they are planning a launch.. they actually track what debris there is so they know it will be safe to launch without something smacking into the rocket or the pay load.. 

that was the point is about in the OP.. some of the junk floating up there will be around for decades.. I remember seeing a photo of one of the space shuttle windows that was hit by a fleck of paint.. it looked like a small bullet hole.. 

• Like 1