Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How well do we know the skies

stereologist

A basic issue that has come up in UFO discussions is the ability of people to recognize what they see in the sky. Do they recognize clouds as clouds and not UFOs? Do they recognize satellites? Do they recognize and know where planets are?

How often do people see sub dogs? They are visible about twice a week. How many people have seen solar halos. I've seen 4 this year. How many people see circumzenith arcs? How many people see meteors on a regular basis? How many people have seen them break apart or leave a glowing trail in the sky?

I believe that many UFO reports are from people seeing the mundane and due to lack of experience believe they are seeing something special.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Last night I went looking for Vesta. It's the second largest object in the asteroid belt. It's visible to the unaided eye right now. I was not able to see it without the use of binoculars. I'm going to try again tonight because I want to see if it moved during a 24 hour period.

• Like 5

It's not that simple...

25564838_363671424097317_1610740966_n.jpg

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

I believe that many UFO reports are from people seeing the mundane and due to lack of experience believe they are seeing something special.

yep i agree... & many will exaggerate what they see in an attempt to make others feel the way they did because they genuinely believe they've seen something special

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have to try tomorrow night to see if Vesta has moved. That is the way I will know that I correctly observed Vesta last night.

Tonight I went back out and looked up. Pretty hazy. Not as clear as two nights ago. Finally found Vesta and it has moved telling me that I did not pick out a star.

I have to admit I expected it to have moved farther than it did.

Checked out Jupiter and the moons of Jupiter are in a completely different configuration. The moons of Jupiter showed that not everything orbited the Earth.

• Like 3