Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Playgrounds offer kids space to build

Michelle

I love this concept! A lot of us take for granted the opportunities living in a more rural environment allows us. People living in urban areas/apartments expect their landlords to fix everything. Having access to tools gives kids confidence that they can build or fix anything.

We have witnessed a seismic shift over the past few generations — a gradual but dramatic decline in children’s free-play opportunities and an increase in childhood mental and emotional disorders. Play is the crucial childhood goal — it’s how kids develop a sense of self, learn how to make their own decisions, solve problems, regulate emotions, exert control, follow rules, make friends and experience joy (Gray, 2011). Parents who create supportive environments for open-ended, self-directed, creative play also provide opportunities for their kids to gain a sense of mastery and competence in their experiences. That self-efficacy sets the stage for a lifetime of higher self-esteem (Harter, 1988, Coopersmith, 1967) and other health benefits. No pressure.

https://tocaboca.com/magazine/adventure-playgrounds/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Maker Spaces, nice.

some of my schools have them, the teachers only role there is “shop superviser” to ensure safety, everything else is up to the kids. 

• Like 3

I've been a tinkerer from the moment I was born. :P Being the youngest of four, I would often make things out of my siblings leftovers including repurposing furniture. There is nothing to lose when it was going to be thrown away.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm grateful and thankful that my childhood was before the era of helicopter parents and the Nanny State. We played outside until the street lights turned on, and we explored our environment at a young age with no adults to accompany us. We rode bikes without helmets, and we rode in cars without booster seats. What is called free-range now, was called normal then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I'm grateful and thankful that my childhood was before the era of helicopter parents and the Nanny State. We played outside until the street lights turned on, and we explored our environment at a young age with no adults to accompany us. We rode bikes without helmets, and we rode in cars without booster seats. What is called free-range now, was called normal then.

My mother would have had a heart attack at some of the things we did. I used to spend the weekends at my cousin's house when I was about eight. Some of the teenagers in the neighborhood built a zip line across a huge ravine. It had a T bar you clung to for dear life. They thought I was chicken cuz I was a girl, but not after I went down it the third time. :P

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I let Jesse run rampant at the sawmill and farm but I also taught him the big things aren't toys. He luckily had common sense and didn't do anything dangerous like climb log piles or anything. He'd rather explore. The grandgoobers have been running amok with the Legos and I've been staying out of their mix. 

Right now I think the Guardians of the Galaxy are battling the First Order.........

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Piney said:

I let Jesse run rampant at the sawmill and farm but I also taught him the big things aren't toys. He luckily had common sense and didn't do anything dangerous like climb log piles or anything. He'd rather explore. The grandgoobers have been running amok with the Legos and I've been staying out of their mix. 

Right now I think the Guardians of the Galaxy are battling the First Order.........

That's a good idea. Don't be too lenient or too strict. Moderation is the key, and that's sorely lacking. We need more stabilized pendulums.

• Thanks 1

I love this. People often so not realize how much play has to do with a child's development. We learn alot through play. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That's a good idea. Don't be too lenient or too strict. Moderation is the key, and that's sorely lacking. We need more stabilized pendulums.

Right now I have Lego Mosul.......meh, sore feet tonight......:lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Piney said:

Right now I have Lego Mosul.......meh, sore feet tonight......:lol:

Watch where you step. Those things are like landmines.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Watch where you step. Those things are like landmines.

There are pieces of the Galactic Empire and the First Order EVERYWHERE! :lol: 

......I think I'm sitting on headless stormtroopers........

• Like 1

We have a Lego Space in our library at work, it actually has a step to step over to get into it so the Lego doesn’t escape. 

I still managed to get a piece into my shoe. 

Too many parents don't take their responsibilities seriously.   We are supposed to get them ready for life and what comes with it. 

Just with vehicles, we should all:

Teach them how to drive a stick.   How to change a tire.   How to change the oil.   How to change an air filter.  How to register a car.