Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obese woman on cover of health magazine

Holliday identifies as a fat woman; we chose to give her a platform because she has insightful things to say about thriving in a world that devalues bodies of size,” the letter said. “We also chose to feature her because size representation is necessary, especially for a national health media brand that can help guide the conversation about what it means to be healthy and how to make health accessible.

Source: Foxnews.com

It went on to add that a person’s level of health can’t be determined "just by looking at them."

Really?   They want us to buy that crap.   This lady is over 300 lbs.   She is obviously not living a healthy lifestyle.   That's like showing a pic of a guy smoking.  

Edited by Saru
Link removed due to adult images - story can be found on Google for those who wish to see it.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I saw this earlier. Felt kinda sick. I mean there's curvy, then there's land whale. And she ain't healthy at all. 

• Like 5

It's quite likely that a fat work-out fanatic is a lot more fit than a skinny couch potato.

Being overweight, doesn't necessarily mean you're not healthy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It's quite likely that a fat work-out fanatic is a lot more fit than a skinny couch potato.

This lady is obviously not a fat work-out fanatic.

Being 200lbs overweight nearly guarantees that you are unhealthy.    

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Being overweight, by definition, means that you are not healthy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

This lady is obviously not a fat work-out fanatic.

Being 200lbs overweight nearly guarantees that you are unhealthy.    

There are a number of overweight (and obese) people at my gym who've probably got better muscle tone and cardiovascular health than most.

Looks can be deceiving. Sure being overweight might place you in a high risk category for certain health issues, but so can a lot of other factors. A slimmer model might be perceived to be in better health, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is. For all you know she could be a smoker, drinker, and chocoholic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Only two things can agree with the fat work-out fanatic. You're either a power lifter/strongman or you're sumo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

There are a number of overweight (and obese) people at my gym who've probably got better muscle tone and cardiovascular health than most.

That's because they are trying to lose weight. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Being overweight, by definition, means that you are not healthy.

Unless you are a Sumo wrestler...amazingly those dudes are generally EXTREMELY healthy across the board!

I'm not even going to try and act as though this woman eats or most fat western peoples diets and exercise routines come anywhere close to a Sumo's though lol

eta

xeno beat me to it...

Edited by CrimsonKing
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Looks can be deceiving. Sure being overweight might place you in a high risk category for certain health issues, but so can a lot of other factors. A slimmer model might be perceived to be in better health, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is. For all you know she could be a smoker, drinker, and chocoholic.

There are smokers more healthy than many non smokers too.   That doesn't mean they are living a healthy lifestyle.  

Those with a body mass index, or BMI, above 40 are robbed of at least 6 1/2 years, on average, of expected life span, a study has found. And the toll in years lost rises with the degree of obesity, reaching nearly 14 years for the most obese -- those with a BMI above 55, researchers said.

The study found that the reduction in life expectancy associated with being extremely obese was similar to that seen in adults who smoke. And as a person's obesity rises to higher levels, his or her expected life span falls below that of smokers.

The findings come from a project that aggregated the results of about 20 long-term studies on obesity conducted in the United States, Australia and Sweden. They were published Tuesday in the journal PLoS Medicine, in what is believed to be the largest study to date of the health consequences of severe obesity.

Compared with their normal-weight peers, the extremely obese are more likely to succumb early to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. For men with "class III obesity," the rate of death attributable to heart disease and diabetes is especially elevated compared with normal-weight males. For women in the same obesity category, cancer deaths dramatically outstripped those among normal-weight women.

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-extreme-obesity-cuts-lifespan-20140708-story.html

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

Unless you are a Sumo wrestler...amazingly those dudes are generally EXTREMELY healthy across the board!

I'm not even going to try and act as though this woman eats or most fat western peoples diets and exercise routines come anywhere close to a Sumo's though lol

Of course there are exceptions. This woman is clearly NOT a powerlifter or a Sumo wrestler.

She is morbidly obese. She is not healthy and will no doubt die early from issue directly related to her size. They can sugar coat it all they want, which i'm sure this woman would love, but she is the very definition of unhealthy. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with body positivity or feeling good in your body the way it is, but lying to yourself another others is just stupid.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

https://www.usasumo.com/learn/sumo-diet/

Some people think sumo wrestlers are out of shape and unhealthy, but in fact, most elite sumo wrestlers have immense power, speed, balance, and flexibility, from hours of daily training. They also support their athletic workouts with the traditional Japanese sumo staple of “chanko-nabe” (pronounced “chon-ko-nah-bay”). In fact, muscle-man Byamba (4-time World Champion) keeps healthy. At 350 pounds, his body fat was only 11%!

This sumo stew is teeming with nutrient-dense proteins and vegetables. After intense workouts, pro sumo wrestlers down bowls of chanko, to replenish energy lost from hours of training. The warm broth and fresh vegetables aid in assimilation and absorption of nutrients, and the high protein content is for rebuilding muscles worn down during training. It’s the ultimate centuries-old Japanese workout food — that also tastes great and is healthy for humans of all sizes!

And

Before they start eating lunch (their first meal of the day), though, Pro Sumo wrestlers train intensely all morning.  This includes plenty of stretching and calisthenics, as well as hundreds of “shiko” (leg lifts), warm-ups, as well as dozens of matches.  After several hours of non-stop movement, a sumo wrestler may lose 10 or 15 pounds of sweat!

Reminds me of how the wrestler of india used to train. Such as gama. Doing thousands of deep knee bends, divebomber pushups, using his sash to wrestle a tree (isometrics) and a lot of matches in the dirt pit. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

The negative health effects of the sumo lifestyle can become apparent later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male, as the diet and sport take a toll on the wrestler's body.

• Like 3

Just now, Myles said:

The negative health effects of the sumo lifestyle can become apparent later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy between 60 and 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male, as the diet and sport take a toll on the wrestler's body.

I think the point was that the sumo is training for a specific lifestyle, wrestling. This lady is on a twinkie and pizza diet. I can't see her being someone who downs 3000 calories in salad everyday.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

She has quite a lovely face, if she dropped 2/3 of her body mass she would be a beautiful woman.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The front four on almost all football teams can be considered obese.  They are big guys who eat a tremendous amount and tend to have more belly fat than they need.  They're also some of the healthiest, fit guys on the planet.  just sayin'... 

• Like 3

I am a bit of a prude.. the first pics she's a bit too nakie for my taste. Not due to her shape- due to how much clothing she isn't wearing. I regularly look over the magazine covers while waiting in line at stores and think the same thing about a variety of cover models. The last photo was just a regular swimsuit photo, whatever.

Other than that, I think she's a delightful model. She owns it, poses it, nails the wardrobe right. I can understand why she's a model, she got the great clothes wearing quality that photographs well.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Of course there are exceptions. This woman is clearly NOT a powerlifter or a Sumo wrestler.

She is morbidly obese. She is not healthy and will no doubt die early from issue directly related to her size. They can sugar coat it all they want, which i'm sure this woman would love, but she is the very definition of unhealthy. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with body positivity or feeling good in your body the way it is, but lying to yourself another others is just stupid.

No doubt dude!...

I remember about 10-12 years back when i trained 4-6 hours a day when i was an active fighter...it just always amazed me how tough it must be not only training to be a Sumo,but god damn eating to do so :w00t:

I ate 4-41/2 thousand calories a day and yet fought at welterweight 170 lbs!

• Like 5

Just now, CrimsonKing said:

No doubt dude!...

I remember about 10-12 years back when i trained 4-6 hours a day when i was an active fighter...it just always amazed me how tough it must be not only training to be a Sumo,but god damn eating to do so :w00t:

Dude go tell Brooklyn you're in for the fantasy season!!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Honestly i believe that happens with ANY sport though...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CrimsonKing said:

Honestly i believe that happens with ANY sport though...

I think most of it comes from the wear and tear on the body. 

3 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

No doubt dude!...

Sounds similar to back when I wanted to be a bodybuilder. I guess due to my once high metabolism I didn't gain much muscle only thick tendons. Serious, what the hell?:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think most of it comes from the wear and tear on the body. 

Sounds similar to back when I wanted to be a bodybuilder. I guess due to my once high metabolism I didn't gain much muscle only thick tendons. Serious, what the hell?:lol:

Very true,hell look what GOLF has done to tiger woods body...GOLF!!! :lol:

I hear ya man,but eating for fuel is also entirely different than just eating for the want to eat.

My early 20's i ate 4k + calories and fought at welter while training 4-6 hours a day,6 days a week.

My later 20's due to injuries i cut my training down to 2-4 hours a day and cut my calories down to 2500-3000 a day...i started fighting at middleweight and light heavy lol

Now days as a trainer i usually train 2-3 hours 3-4 days a week and am at 235-245 lbs depending on the day...

Though at 8/9% bodyfat i'd be hard to call obese...though The Rock was declared obese last year,so i guess anythings possible :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rashore said:

I am a bit of a prude.. the first pics she's a bit too nakie for my taste. Not due to her shape- due to how much clothing she isn't wearing. I regularly look over the magazine covers while waiting in line at stores and think the same thing about a variety of cover models. The last photo was just a regular swimsuit photo, whatever.

Other than that, I think she's a delightful model. She owns it, poses it, nails the wardrobe right. I can understand why she's a model, she got the great clothes wearing quality that photographs well.

She is a model a plus size model which is a nice way of saying fat*ss :ph34r:

Image result for tess holliday

Edited by BrooklynGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm still stuck at the line where "Holliday identifies as a fat woman".  It's like she thinks that if she chose to believe otherwise, it would be wrong to call her a fat woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1