Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as woman poses with giraffe she shot

Eldorado

Photos of a female hunter from Kentucky proudly showing off the results of her “dream hunt” – a dead black giraffe in South Africa – have ignited a firestorm across social media after being picked up by a local African media outlet.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/01/american-hunters-images-her-black-giraffe-trophy-kill-spark-outrage.html

The outrage is quite something to behold. Not as loud as when US Law Enforcement kill a black teenager for being a smartass but much louder than the outrage at how many hospital patients are dying in the US from preventable causes.

Edited by Eldorado
Link removed due to graphic content - can be found on Google for those who wish to see it.
  • Sad 5

maybe before talking sht about her and hunters all together you should read the article, it is perfectly explained there why it was actually beneficial to the herd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I read that this giraffe was too old to mate but was driving off two young males that weren't too old and was, thereby, hurting the giraffe population in the park

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

It was a needed kill.   Win/win/win.  

Money is procured for the cause.

The hunter gets to do what they want.

The giraffes get what they need.

I wish someone would pay me to kill raccoons or coyotes when I need to do that. 

I don't get the "thrill" of the hunt.   Never did.   I have no issue with folks who go deer hunting.   I like venison myself.   I just never felt compelled to hunt.  I don't get joy from it.   If I had to for sustenance, I would and wouldn't have a problem doing it, but it would be like work for me, not recreation.  

Edited by Myles
  • Like 4

In Africa, it’s part of the hunting laws that you have to give a LARGE portion of the meat to the local communities and villages. Trophy hunting is all about eating the meat.

It costs A LOT of money to go on a trophy hunt in Africa. It’s common for these hunts to cost from $15,000 to $100,000+, depending on where and what you’re hunting.

A large portion of this money goes directly into conservation efforts and to the local African communities, to help improve their economy. It also makes it possible for them to hire people that will help in the prevention of poaching.

https://medium.com/@collincottrell/3-common-misconceptions-of-trophy-hunting-b63f64ec763a

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aztek said:

maybe before talking sht about her and hunters all together you should read the article, it is perfectly explained there why it was actually beneficial to the herd.

I did and I still don't care. This human being spent tens of thousands of dollars and boarded  a plane to kill an easy target of an animal which can't fight back. There is something deeply wrong with an individual who wants to do that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I did and I still don't care. This human being spent tens of thousands of dollars and boarded  a plane to kill an easy target of an animal which can't fight back. There is something deeply wrong with an individual who wants to do that. 

well.,there is something very deeply wrong with a person who thinks you have no right to protect yourself with guns at your home,.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

well.,there is something very deeply wrong with a person who thinks you have no right to protect yourself with guns at your home,.

LOL I would agree.  

• Haha 1

"Conservation through wildlife management" as she states, is a bull**** excuse for pieces of **** like her to go an kill animals that have a hard enough time surviving already due to our habits so that she has a picture she can pass around for her hunting friends to jerk off to.

**** her.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 6

so what do you all hunter haters do for wildlife conservation? i have no doubt hunters that you hate do way more than you ever could, or would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

"Conservation through wildlife management" as she states, is a bull**** excuse for pieces of **** like her to go an kill animals that have a hard enough time surviving already due to our habits so that she has a picture she can pass around for her hunting friends to jerk off to.

**** her.

What happened after Cecil the Lion? Trophy hunting was almost stopped completely which led to the culling of hundreds of lions. Does anyone really expect the Governments of Africa to set aside a healthy chunk of change for wildlife conservation? The reservations depend on trophy hunting to pay for anti-poaching teams, infrastructure...pretty much everything. The internet came to the rescue of one lion and ended up killing many more - funny how "feelings first" doesn't translate well to the real world.

In a bitterly ironic move, the country that banned lion hunting after “Cecil” the lion’s death may have to cull 200 surplus lions. Officials with Zimbabwe’s Bubye Valley Conservancy are trying to move the extra animals to other wildlife areas, but if that fails the lions will be put down—a disservice to the country’s economy, hunters, and the animals themselves.

According to the New Zealand Herald, Bubye is Zimbabwe’s largest wildlife area and home to its highest number of lions—an estimated 500. At one time Bubye welcomed hunters and was able to maintain a healthy lion population. After American dentist Walter Palmer shot a lion outside Hwange National Park in 2015, the area has suffered from what has become known as the “Cecil effect.”

I wonder what it cost that Kentucky lass to kill that Giraffe? The flight, the money she spent in the country for accommodations, food, travel, etc...I bet that one trophy saved the lives of several others. Historically, Liberals haven't been good at wildlife management *cough*California*cough* as they view the natural world through the lens of a Disney/Pixar movie instead of the cold mistress it really is.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

so what do you all hunter haters do for wildlife conservation? i have no doubt hunters that you hate do way more than you ever could, or would.

Not enough for sure. I was a member and frequent contributor to TU for decades but the majority of my environmental actions these days consist of regular lake/river side clean up in my local wildlife refuge. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aztek said:

It's not even a contest. PETA, Green Peace and the others don't even scratch the surface of hunter contributions to wildlife management.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

**** her.

A sufficiently obstinate conviction is immune to all demonstrations of its falsity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aztek said:

You have no idea what ive done, where ive been and what ive seen. 

Of course the usual suspects support this. I should expect no less.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I believe in the conservation of a healthy herd of animals. But if the population explodes, nature will thin out the herd by inflicting a disease on them.

I live in a area where there are a lot of deer and there were times over the years herds were inflicted with a disease called Blue Tongue due to overpopulation.

Hunting responsible helps keep that balance. I'd rather see an animal get shot and die a quicker death then a long painful one by some disease.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 2

This is unacceptable and a disgrace!

Murdering an animal such as a giraffe serves no purpose, I don't want to hear about defending this. 

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was always told, "Unless it's trying to kill you, don't shoot anything you're not going to eat."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

I believe in the conservation of a healthy herd of animals. But if the population explodes, nature will thin out the herd by inflicting a disease on them.

I live in a area where there are a lot of deer and there were times over the years herds were inflicted with a disease called Blue Tongue due to overpopulation.

Hunting responsible helps keep that balance. I'd rather see an animal get shot and die a quicker death then a long painful one by some disease.

I doubt that the giraffe population has been "exploding".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

I remember in my home state when they jut about closed down deer hunting because of the outrage like the above and the animals starved to death by the tens of thousands in the harsh winter,.It was quite horrible and a lesson learned to a young Merc

2 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

This is unacceptable and a disgrace!

Murdering an animal such as a giraffe serves no purpose, I don't want to hear about defending this.

.ZZ. God I hope your a vegetarian. If you are good for you and hey it's your life. But if you eat meat what they do to the stuff we eat is quite disgusting compared to going out and getting your own meat. "Murdering an animal such as a giraffe." Are not all animals the same or is it just the ones with cute faces that count. I do believe that there are a lot of grateful people in South Africa that well be enjoying a good meal tonight.