Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as woman poses with giraffe she shot

Eldorado

10 minutes ago, Wickian said:

I already wrote my views on sport hunting over some sense of accomplishment, if you're wanting a more logical(monetary) reason why I don't support this you're not going to get one.  I simply don't approve of auctioning off killing rights to animals that "aren't useful anymore" when they're so close to being endangered anyway.  Send him to a zoo that donates to wildlife reserves if they want him separated from younger males.

I didn't ask about your morals, I honestly don't care about your feelings, I asked how you address an old, infertile male that has now killed three, young, fertile males without killing t as would happen in a completely natural world.   Please answer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

So in your mind, save the exotic majestic looking animals, but it's ok to consume livestock such as cows and hogs,

even though they are living breathing creatures also.:hmm:

1. Livestock aren't endangered.
  2. Livestock have had several thousand years of humans breeding them down for the purpose of eating to the point that it's nearly impossible for them to survive out in the wild without human assistance.
  3. Livestock serves a distinct purpose, namely: keeping humans fed. Killing for sport is pointless.

Again, I don't know how in the world this is even a debatable issue.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:
  1. Livestock aren't endangered.
  2. Livestock have had several thousand years of humans breeding them down for the purpose of eating to the point that it's nearly impossible for them to survive out in the wild without human assistance.
  3. Livestock serves a distinct purpose, namely: keeping humans fed. Killing for sport is pointless.

Again, I don't know how in the world this is even a debatable issue.

If you've read the article, this bull killed 3 younger bulls and was incapable of breeding. If it was allowed to live,

chances are it would have killed more younger bulls. Seems like it was an endangerment to it's own species.

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is...some people just like to kill stuff regardless of whether or not they need to eat. 

That sucks, so they make up reasons to make themselves feel like heroes. 

There's a "population explosion," I was "thinning the herd." 

There's no population explosion of rare black giraffes. 

How about the human population explosion? 

Maybe if we weren't crowding animals out of their habitat on the regular, they wouldn't need "thinning."

• Like 3

From the image I saw where this woman is standing over this beautiful creature looking extremely pleased with herself. She is no more than a self-promoting git.

In cases such as this, nature has it's own way of balancing things out. I hope dearly that she cops every bit of flack that she so rightly deserves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I didn't ask about your morals, I honestly don't care about your feelings, I asked how you address an old, infertile male that has now killed three, young, fertile males without killing t as would happen in a completely natural world.   Please answer.

Sorry, I was going to address this earlier but someone showed up at my door.

From the articles it's all "she says" with no corroboration.  The herd was not in decline, they are increasing in South Africa like I said earlier so there's no proof this bull (at just past middle age) couldn't reproduce and was a detriment to the herd. It was a money thing.

He got too big = $$$$$$

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

If you've read the article, this bull killed 3 younger bulls and was incapable of breeding. If it was allowed to live,

chances are it would have killed more younger bulls. Seems like it was an endangerment to it's own species.

Besides the fact that those are all baseless postulations, all you're really doing is making excuses for someone hunting and killing an endangered species for sport. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

Besides the fact that those are all baseless postulations, all you're really doing is making excuses for someone hunting and killing an endangered species for sport. 

Now that it's dead, those younger bulls can mate with the females and bring the population up.

spock.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

There's no population explosion of rare black giraffes. 

Hmm.. did I misunderstand the article ? I thought that the "Black Giraffe" was not a species, but merely a "normal" giraffe that was older. (they turn dark as they age ?)

• Like 1

Hmmm..... soooo... this woman was operating under the guidance of the South African Park Ranger service. If we are to criticise her choice of target, then we have to criticise the Park Rangers. If we are to criticise her hunting AT ALL, then we have to criticise the game policies of the South African government,  as well as the Park Rangers in particular, and the Park Service in general. 

And if we do THAT, then we have predominantly White "Western" people trying to tell a predominantly "Black" African government how to manage its internal affairs. 

This has always worked out SO well in the past, hasn't it ? 

....Prominent activist and Hollywood actor Ricky Gervais, on the same day Talley’s images went viral, tweeted that “Giraffes are now on the 'red list' of endangerment due to a 40% decline over the last 25 years. They could become extinct. Gone forever. And still, we allow spoilt c--ts to pay money to shoot them with a bow and arrow for fun.”..

Well... yes... I can certainly see a "spoilt c--t" in that statement. And whilst we're on the topic of Cultural Colonialism, could somebody PLEASE tell me exactly when the English comedian, musician, and TV actor Ricky Gervais suddenly became a "Hollywood" actor ? 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. did I misunderstand the article ? I thought that the "Black Giraffe" was not a species, but merely a "normal" giraffe that was older. (they turn dark as they age ?)

Yep, I read that too. I think some just looked at the image and made assumptions.

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm..... soooo... this woman was operating under the guidance of the South African Park Ranger service. If we are to criticise her choice of target, then we have to criticise the Park Rangers. If we are to criticise her hunting AT ALL, then we have to criticise the game policies of the South African government,  as well as the Park Rangers in particular, and the Park Service in general. 

And if we do THAT, then we have predominantly White "Western" people trying to tell a predominantly "Black" African government how to manage its internal affairs. 

This has always worked out SO well in the past, hasn't it ? 

You have certainly made some very valid points there. Why indeed, does the South African government allow hunters (in particular American hunters) go there to shoot down and sometimes mutilate these beautiful animals ???.....

Something obviously needs to be done by their government and other bodies to stop this needless slaughter by these gun wielding spineless cowboys /girls who will of course take advantage of their weak laws. 

8 hours ago, NorthenerON said:

.ZZ. God I hope your a vegetarian. If you are good for you and hey it's your life. But if you eat meat what they do to the stuff we eat is quite disgusting compared to going out and getting your own meat. "Murdering an animal such as a giraffe." Are not all animals the same or is it just the ones with cute faces that count. I do believe that there are a lot of grateful people in South Africa that well be enjoying a good meal tonight.

thumb_gymmemesofficial-bout-right-there-all-animals-want-to-live-food-16711128.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkin said:

I think some just looked at the image and made assumptions.

Of course you are entitled to your own views Hawkin. But I'm just a little surprised in how you can be so flippant and condone the pointless killing of African wild life...let alone one of the many beautiful species that are already endangered. 

9ef0fa7db66ff7d8ae7a46d1e3310bbd_vegan_life_mother_earth.jpg

346c6b6c81adf2e3f413d9b7655f076d_stop_animal_cruelty_take_action.jpg

Hmm!..such brave men...look at them all smiling for the picture. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawkin said:

Now that it's dead, those younger bulls can mate with the females and bring the population up.

spock.png

They could have removed him instead, and let him live the rest of his life out in greener pastures (so to speak)

• Like 2

I'm big on conservation and I'm a hunter of feral animals.I only hunt animals that are causing damage to crops,livestock and native wildlife.These big game hunters in my opinion have something lacking in their brain/character to enjoy their activity and paint a really bad picture to the general public of other hunters,outdoorsmen who care for and respect all animals, even the ones that need their population kept in check.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

They could have removed him instead, and let him live the rest of his life out in greener pastures (so to speak)

I suppose they could have put it in a zoo or something. But I find it ironic where certain animals that are killed

the public gets outraged while other animals people don't bat an eye even though all are living creatures.

It's like a litter of pups. People will take the most beautiful puppies first but leave the runt for last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawkin said:

I suppose they could have put it in a zoo or something.

I'm glad that you agree.

But I find it ironic where certain animals that are killed

the public gets outraged while other animals people don't bat an eye even though all are living creatures.

Well, I'm not going to venture down that particular rabbit hole where I think you are just trying to use emotional appeal as to justify big-game-trophy-hunting of these beautiful and majestic animals. As far as I'm concerned, these rich @holes who pay loads of money to hunt and shoot these creatures are simply on an enormous ego trip...(no doubt to fill some type of void in their weak and pathetic lives).

Also, and if by chance they happen to get eaten by lions or trampled by an elephant, well... that would be a REAL win for conservation :tu:..

It's like a litter of pups. People will take the most beautiful puppies first but leave the runt for last.

Aww, but I was one of the suckers that always went for the runt first :P..

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

The thing is Girrafes are close to extinction than some people think 

• Like 1

All those advocating a stop to the trophy hunts, what is the alternative? We know people will poach these animals. We know these animals will die horribly in nature when they get too old. We know that if we want these animals around for our kids to see that there needs to be park rangers protecting these animals.

The obvious solution to this is trophy hunting to pay to keep these herds healthy and safe from poaching. Not to mention how much more humanly these old animals are killed compared to what they face in the wild. If trophy hunts are banned I don't think some of these species will survive another generation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

All those advocating a stop to the trophy hunts, what is the alternative? We know people will poach these animals. We know these animals will die horribly in nature when they get too old. We know that if we want these animals around for our kids to see that there needs to be park rangers protecting these animals.

The obvious solution to this is trophy hunting to pay to keep these herds healthy and safe from poaching. Not to mention how much more humanly these old animals are killed compared to what they face in the wild. If trophy hunts are banned I don't think some of these species will survive another generation.

I'm sure that poachers are the bigger problem to their decline and not trophy hunters. But when word gets out that a trophy hunter kills a wild animal,

there is outrage by the public, Where's the outrage on poachers who kill illegally?

22 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I doubt that the giraffe population has been "exploding".

Actually this giraffe has been slowing the population boom.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2018 at 9:42 AM, Myles said:

It was a needed kill.   Win/win/win.  

Money is procured for the cause.

The hunter gets to do what they want.

The giraffes get what they need.

I wish someone would pay me to kill raccoons or coyotes when I need to do that. 

I don't get the "thrill" of the hunt.   Never did.   I have no issue with folks who go deer hunting.   I like venison myself.   I just never felt compelled to hunt.  I don't get joy from it.   If I had to for sustenance, I would and wouldn't have a problem doing it, but it would be like work for me, not recreation.  

I’ve hunted lots of deer. Last one I got was two years ago. For the first time there was no rush. I felt nothing. I haven’t been back since. 

• Like 1

I think these big game hunters are flawed characters.   I don't understand the thrill.  

There seems to be too much we don't know on this case.   If this giraffe was really killing younger males, then something needed to be done.  

Was the money available to get it to a zoo who wanted it?   How much would a zoo pay?  

Did the money for this "hunt" really go to the fund to help endangered animals thrive?   Are there organizations willing to pay that amount to move the animal to a zoo? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1