Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as woman poses with giraffe she shot

Eldorado

Its hard not to be cynical when confronted by something that seems offensive at first glance, but may hold a kernel of truth.    Don'r get too self-righteous there conservatives, that goes for you too.  One reason deer  become overpopulated is because we have killed out most of the large predators too.  We have to try to  "fix" a problem we caused as often as not.

Many of the large African parks are private game reserves.  Whether public or private, they are underfunded, do care about the animals in their care, and are not in it strictly for the dollars.  The preserves do sell hunts.  They target those beyond breeding age large animals of several species.  It doesn't make the news when two business-like wardens drive up in a rover and  take down a targeted animal.  Somewhere along the line, preserves discovered they could make a substantial amount of money by taking a trophy hunter out with the rangers to take the shot.  People do get the meat and the money doesn't all wind up in the pocket of somebody sitting on a veranda 1000 miles away.

Decrease in populations are caused by human and domestic livestock pressure, transmitted diseases, and climate pressure.  You can say that humans are the cause, but in this case it is not all fat cat western greed so much as the pressure to survive and grow in a difficult environment.  Education is changing that reality somewhat, people around preserves are slowly coming to view wildlife as an asset.  It seems that some animal culling will continue to occur.

As for the trophy hunter in the picture, many would judge her poorly.  It is not a big game hunt from the old days.  She is taken to the proper sight, the game is targeted, and a ranger stands by out of camera to take the kill shot if she misses. Not so heroic really, but it provides money to fund the preserve and pay for the rangers.  I am of that school of not killing unless you are attacked or hungry, and  honestly I don't have $300,000 dollars to pay for killing an animal.

If we care about preserves and animals we can send some lesser contributions  their way.    It may challenge your  paradigms, but many hunters do care about game and put money into support of wildlife.

Now, if you want to see in reality what  an Akashinga,  a brave woman living a meaningful life looks like, you can check out the BBC video above.    "If you do something wrong to my animals, I will catch you."

• Like 3

On 7/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, DarkHunter said:

18 is rather old for a wild giraffe.  In captivity giraffes can live up to their mid thirties to early forties while in the wild they generally only live to 20 to 25 at most. 

Because 'wild' giraffes get shot for trophies or bush meat and/or get killed in conflict zones.

13 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Because 'wild' giraffes get shot for trophies or bush meat and/or get killed in conflict zones.

Most animals in the wild only have half the life span of animals in captivity, the only animals that really live longer in the wild then in captivity are whales.   

It's less getting shot and more of getting immediate vet care, fed high quality food, and essentially facing no competition or environmental stress factors for its entire life.

Ultimately it was an old giraffe that was being problematic for its herd.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

There is more to it then that. Such as killed by predatory animals, falls with broken bones, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Most animals in the wild only have half the life span of animals in captivity, the only animals that really live longer in the wild then in captivity are whales.   

It's less getting shot and more of getting immediate vet care, fed high quality food, and essentially facing no competition or environmental stress factors for its entire life.

Ultimately it was an old giraffe that was being problematic for its herd.

Sure, put it that way, whatever you want.

An 18 year old giraffe is just past middle aged

Was the story ever confirmed?   Was this giraffe selected by the park rangers because it was hurting other breeding age animals?  

• Like 1

The death of this particular giraffe might have been beneficial to the herd....but posing with the kill and the rifle that made it possible is just an ego trip....  Nothing to be proud of really.  It just encourages more ego trippers.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lightly said:

The death of this particular giraffe might have been beneficial to the herd....but posing with the kill and the rifle that made it possible is just an ego trip....  Nothing to be proud of really.  It just encourages more ego trippers.

It's called a grip and grin and is fairly common among hunters around the world.

Ya, I know, I grew up in the boonies and lots of people hunted, for food...  I just don't like the idea of  "sport"  hunting.

if there is no real need to kill something...how about don't?

6 hours ago, lightly said:

Ya, I know, I grew up in the boonies and lots of people hunted, for food...  I just don't like the idea of  "sport"  hunting.

if there is no real need to kill something...how about don't?

Locals eat the meat.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, Hammerclaw said:

The beast had been selected for culling and they let the pretty lady do it and she nailed the sucker. Culling is normal for managed game reserves. I rather doubt we'd have even heard about it if she'd been an indigenous woman of color.

Native Alaskans are allowed to hunt whales. I never hear much controversy over it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Myles said:

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2018/07/16/texas-fisherman-reels-in-hammerhead-shark-catch-multiple-lifetimes.html

Texas fisherman reels in 14-foot hammerhead shark, calls it 'catch of multiple lifetimes'

Let's see if this gets the same reaction. Betting it doesn't.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bama13 said:

Let's see if this gets the same reaction. Betting it doesn't.

I can't see why it would especially considering it was an attempted catch and release. 

From the link:

Cedillo said that it took more than an hour to reel in the shark, which was "that big." He then noticed the massive shark was "very tired" and quickly got a length measurement before trying to set it free back into the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

Edited by psyche101

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

I can't see why it would especially considering it was a catch and release. 

No sharks died in the making of that article. 

From the link:

Cedillo said that it took more than an hour to reel in the shark, which was "that big." He then noticed the massive shark was "very tired" and quickly got a length measurement before trying to set it free back into the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

The article said the shark did die. Was this a 'no take' specimen?

On 7/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, Myles said:

It was a needed kill.   Win/win/win.  

Money is procured for the cause.

The hunter gets to do what they want.

The giraffes get what they need.

I wish someone would pay me to kill raccoons or coyotes when I need to do that. 

I don't get the "thrill" of the hunt.   Never did.   I have no issue with folks who go deer hunting.   I like venison myself.   I just never felt compelled to hunt.  I don't get joy from it.   If I had to for sustenance, I would and wouldn't have a problem doing it, but it would be like work for me, not recreation.  

People who think of hunting as brutal just don't get nor ever will get the management aspect of killing animals.  I love to hunt deer and squirrel.  I just couldn't shoot a lion or giraffe.  Just a personal thing with me.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

The article said the shark did die. Was this a 'no take' specimen?

Yes I was mistaken and corrected the post before I saw yours. I did it straight away, but your post came in an hour later, how on earth did you manage that? I thought it had survived, apparently not. It was an attempted catch and release. The shark apparently didn't make it when they tried to see it free. He always sets his catches free and was upset he failed on his occasion. The intentions are completely different. 

People that know me know that I release every single shark I catch so this hurts," Cedillo said. "Catching this fish of a lifetime and it not making it totally sucks for me but it happens especially since we tried hard."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Yes I was mistaken and corrected the post before I saw yours. I did it straight away, but your post came in an hour later, how on earth did you manage that?

Dunno what happened there - time difference between Brissie and Goldie perhaps. ;)

50 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I thought it had survived, apparently not. It was an attempted catch and release. The shark apparently didn't make it when they tried to see it free. He always sets his catches free and was upset he failed on his occasion. The intentions are completely different. 

People that know me know that I release every single shark I catch so this hurts," Cedillo said. "Catching this fish of a lifetime and it not making it totally sucks for me but it happens especially since we tried hard."

I can't really find what is meant to happen when the release of a "no take" specimen fails.  Here in Queensland I suppose you're meant to leave them in the water.

Here's Snope's take on female giraffe hunters [link].  I  know Snope's reputation has somewhat diminished; but, hey the article in the OP was from Fox News.

I see the International Fund for Animal Welfare criticise the African trophy hunting and the revenue it raises.  But, looking at their annual report - their worldwide expenses are a fraction of African trophy hunting revenue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Dunno what happened there - time difference between Brissie and Goldie perhaps. ;)

:lol: :rofl:

And I'm only in slacks creek today lol. 

I can't really find what is meant to happen when the release of a "no take" specimen fails.  Here in Queensland I suppose you're meant to leave them in the water.

When it died, they took the meat in this case. 

Here's Snope's take on female giraffe hunters [link].  I  know Snope's reputation has somewhat diminished; but, hey the article in the OP was from Fox News.

LOL fair enough, but I don't agree with Snopes that females cop worse. The dentist who killed Cecil had to shut down his practise I believe. 

I see the International Fund for Animal Welfare criticise the African trophy hunting and the revenue it raises.  But, looking at their annual report - their worldwide expenses are a fraction of African trophy hunting revenue.

One species of antelope was at the brink of extinction, which made it more sought after. Again, I don't get that mindset, but it exists. Because of that, breeders gave it siecial attention, and now its no longer endangered. I understand that managed properly, big game hunting can have positive aspects. It's just distasteful as far as the general public are concerned and if this woman was surprised at the backlash, sorry, but she is an idiot. If she was of the mindset that her brutal way of having fun would be accepted and rejoiced, she either has been under a rock for the last decade or she is completely stupid. Cecil created a great deal of controversy I can't begin to think why she didn't think the same sort of reaction  would be following her actions. If she really had to do this, she should have taken some happy snaps to share in private. The second she decided to tell the world about her kill, she was always going to be a target, right or wrong.

• Like 1