Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as woman poses with giraffe she shot

Eldorado

I think the whole thing is money orientated,i doubt conservation would see much of it.Like sending money to save starving children,got to go through a lot of greedy hands.The pics of shot wildlife are probably put up to pull on nice peoples heart strings and open their wallets more,so the bad people are preying on them as well.

• Like 2

I don't get the glee in taking lives. That rare giraffe did absolutely nothing, to her or her loved ones, to warrant being murdered in cold blood like it was some kind of accomplishment to be celebrated. I don't think that the killer should be harassed, especially by people who are as unhinged as her in their own ways, but this death should be condemned for a variety of reasons. Let's hope that this woman never finds Bigfoot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The gremlins got me. There should be a way to delete our posts.

Edited by Paranormal Panther
double post

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

There should be a way to delete our posts.

I second this ^

• Like 1

The "black" giraffe is black, and only rare, because it is so old.  I mean, sport hunting sucks, but, from what I have read, the giraffe is too old to breed and has killed breeding aged male giraffes.  Killing this giraffe only helps the population.  

• Like 2

Crikey moses. 

We have no idea what the real situation is. The woman called the girrafe rare, and them back pedalled. 

She paid thousands to kill it. People received thousands to take her to kill it. Does anyone really think that this would not he covered over even if it was the last giraffe on earth? Like they are really going to admit to any real wildlife concerns with all that money changing hands. Personally  I think that sort of hunting is twisted and indicates a brain abnormality. 

It this woman was off her rocker if she didn't learn from the dentist who killed Cecil the Lion. As soon as she posted these photos and posted how her prayers were answered, she was always going to become a global target. I guess this offers something of a correlation between slow thinkers and big game hunters if nothing else. Regardless of of her story about it being an aged male causing breeding problems is true or not, this was never going to go well. The majority of people don't condone big game hunting and that's no secret. She should have just kept her mouth shut and took home some photos for slide night with some other sickos that get off on killing big game. She is a target now. Its so obvious one wonders if she wasn't actually seeking the attention. 

:no:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Agent0range said:

The "black" giraffe is black, and only rare, because it is so old.  I mean, sport hunting sucks, but, from what I have read, the giraffe is too old to breed and has killed breeding aged male giraffes.  Killing this giraffe only helps the population.  

She said it was too old to breed, it was 18, just past middle age. The 'park' made thousands of $ for a large bull.

This, if it was a mercy kill, I could see it. It was not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

She said it was too old to breed, it was 18, just past middle age. The 'park' made thousands of $ for a large bull.

I would say let nature takes it's course.

As someone mentioned, why not just relocate the animal?

• Like 3

Imagine if Donald Trump tweeted criticism of the practice of hunting game in South Africa. How many milliseconds would pass before people where screaming " Racist ? " at him ? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Imagine if Donald Trump tweeted criticism of the practice of hunting game in South Africa. How many milliseconds would pass before people where screaming " Racist ? " at him ? 

I'd say the same number of milliseconds as it would for his supporters to suddenly start condemning it rather than justify it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I'd say the same number of milliseconds as it would for his supporters to suddenly start condemning it rather than justify it.

Nah.. they'd just say it was a False Giraffe. :P 

Jesting apart..... isn't it racist for a bunch of (predominantly) white "Westerners" to implicitly criticise the policies of a (predominantly) black African nation ? And aren't the call for a ban on hunting an neo-colonialist infringement of their culture and traditions ? 

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Nah.. they'd just say it was a False Giraffe. :P  

We have alternative giraffes. 

• Haha 3

In other news,

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/05/gang-rhino-poachers-mauled-to-death-by-pride-lions-after-breaking-into-game-reserve.html

At least three suspected rhino poachers have been killed by a pride of lions after they broke into a game reserve in South Africa.

Rangers discovered human remains around 4:30 p.m. local time on July 3 in the immediate vicinity of the lions’ territory at the Sibuya Game Reserve in Kenton-on-Sea in the Eastern Cape, more than 24 hours after an anti-poaching dog alerted her handler that something was amiss.

He added: “They came heavily armed with hunting rifles and axes which we have recovered and enough food to last them for several days so we suspect they were after all of our rhinos here. But the lions are our watchers and guardians and they picked the wrong pride and became a meal.”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Hawkin said:

I have no idea what the giraffe population is. But when watching those wildlife documentaries, there seems to be a lot of Wildebeest.

I think the herds are estimated in the millions. But I've never seen any pics of hunters shooting them for sport.

Actually my brother has two gnu heads mounted in his house. My father killed both of them with one shot (through the neck of one into the back of the other). Don't know if we have any pics to post (happened in 1971).

When you go hunting, legally, in any African country I have been to, or know others who have been to, they point out which animals you may shoot. One must figure that they people that work on the game reserves just might know a little bit more then you or I about the herds and how to benefit them.

• Like 2

The Bison population was once estimated at 20-30 million in N. America and was reduced to about 1100 by 1889.

Now they are estimated at 500,000 thanks to conservation efforts and lands set aside for habitat.

Just now, Hawkin said:

The Bison population was once estimated at 20-30 million in N. America and was reduced to about 1100 by 1889.

Now they are estimated at 500,000 thanks to conservation efforts and lands set aside for habitat.

yea, once they were hunted commercially they almost got extinct

767px-Bison_skull_pile_edit.jpg

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

The gremlins got me. There should be a way to               our posts.

I admit I have not read all the posts in this thread so if I am repeating a sentiment, apologies, but it is the gloating and obvious boasting about this that annoys me most.  If animals have to be culled, and we know that sometimes they do, for various reasons, just get on with it and do it as humanely as possible.  The 'triumph' she is displaying shows just what a small person she really is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Hawkin said:

Bison were hunted for the market, meat, fur, etc. 

There is also a theory that Native Hunting Practice after thier introduction to the horse lead to a massive decrease of the population and would of lead the species into extinction. however European Illnesses wiped out the majority of the natives who hunted the buffalo. This caused thier population to explode until the onset of market hunting.

Trophy hunting is beneficial as it provides an economic be ifit to keep animals alive and. Post thier numbers. If someone is willing to pay upwards of $15,000-over $300,00/0 to kill a single animal they would want to keep them alive and safe from poachers. In Many cases poachers stop poaching and join anti poaching patrols as the money is much better and it is legal work.

Locals get the meat from the animal which they consume, and money do not have access to high quality protein often.

Money goes back into habitat protection.

• Like 3

On 05/07/2018 at 12:37 AM, .ZZ. said:

I would say let nature takes it's course.

As someone mentioned, why not just relocate the animal?

I stead of putting money into the local economy, providing food for locals, money for conservation, etc. You would spend tens of thousands to relocate an older animal who would then die shortly after or cause the death of other animals shortly after.

• Like 2

On 03/07/2018 at 10:24 PM, Aquila King said:
  1. Livestock aren't endangered.
  2. Livestock have had several thousand years of humans breeding them down for the purpose of eating to the point that it's nearly impossible for them to survive out in the wild without human assistance.
  3. Livestock serves a distinct purpose, namely: keeping humans fed. Killing for sport is pointless.

Again, I don't know how in the world this is even a debatable issue.

Domestic pig seem to thrive outside of the pen. All wild pigs were once demestic, as they are the same species.

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

but it is the gloating and obvious boasting about this that annoys me most.  If animals have to be culled, and we know that sometimes they do, for various reasons, just get on with it and do it as humanely as possible.  The 'triumph' she is displaying shows just what a small person she really is.

I agree. 

The beast had been selected for culling and they let the pretty lady do it and she nailed the sucker. Culling is normal for managed game reserves. I rather doubt we'd have even heard about it if she'd been an indigenous woman of color.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:22 AM, Likely Guy said:

18 is rather old for a wild giraffe.  In captivity giraffes can live up to their mid thirties to early forties while in the wild they generally only live to 20 to 25 at most.