Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Psychic' World Cup octopus gets eaten

Still Waters

An octopus who had predicted all three of Japan’s group stage results at the World Cup has been turned into seafood. 

Rabiot, a giant Pacific octopus, correctly tipped the result of Japan’s games against Colombia, Poland and Senegal, but will not have the chance to predict the team’s results in the knockout stages. 

Despite his 100 per cent record so far Rabiot, who was caught in Obira, Hokkaido, was gutted and sent to the market to be sold for food, Sora News 24 reported.  

Rabiot followed the lead of his psychic predecessor Paul the Octopus, who became an unexpected star of the 2010 World Cup with a series of correct calls.

Rabiot made his predictions by swimming in a paddling pool and shuffling towards one of three baskets labelled with Japan, their opponent and a draw.

https://en.brinkwire.com/news/psychic-world-cup-octopus-is-chopped-up-and-eaten-in-japan/

Rabiot in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mL3VYM9JfQ

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

What a disappointing thread!

I expected a video of him being eaten. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Because of the viral nature of this, and the similar animal ‘predictions’ in earlier years, and the sheer number of sport fans internationally; there are probably many thousands of people who do this with different species and different sports each year now.

So it’s inevitable that a seemingly psychic creature will come out of the woodwork from time to time. 

In this case, I just hope that he was prepared well and was tasty. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I understand this story, and thread, perfectly. It's about ingratitude, and callousness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How was he to know that Germany, Brazil, Argentina and Spain were going to be out of the tournament already!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Nzo said:

I find this very distressing.

It's ok as long as they used olive oil and garlic. :tu:

• Like 4

This is good news for Vlad, he was hoping to replace him, well

@Vlad the Mighty

the jobs yours. :tu:

• Haha 1

Reminds me of the 'woodsy' story, sometimes you kill the bear and other times the bear kills you.

Edited by UFOwatcher
Lost the end of my comment in quotes
  • Like 1

I used to love octopus, but ever since videos have surfaced of them demonstrating high intelligence, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat them anymore. 

On 7/7/2018 at 11:06 AM, Piney said:

I would expect nothing better from ignorance.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, Piney said:

And it's better like that, Octopus lifespan is quite short, it's better to not waste the food. He would have die soon enough.

On 08/07/2018 at 7:27 PM, Calibeliever said:

I used to love octopus, but ever since videos have surfaced of them demonstrating high intelligence, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat them anymore. 

Thankfully, I don't grade my food's desirability on how intelligent it was. Far more important to me is to grade it on how it tastes and how healthy it is. And that's something I share with most of the rest of the animal kingdom.

Edited by Black Monk

On 7/6/2018 at 3:20 PM, Timothy said:

Because of the viral nature of this, and the similar animal ‘predictions’ in earlier years, and the sheer number of sport fans internationally; there are probably many thousands of people who do this with different species and different sports each year now.

So it’s inevitable that a seemingly psychic creature will come out of the woodwork from time to time. 

In this case, I just hope that he was prepared well and was tasty. 

Well, they don't eat Punxsatawny Phil. 

That seems just wrong.

If you're gonna have a "psychic" octopus, then it should be treated special because it was subjected to like...being your psychic octopus and all.

It's like eating something after you name it. That's just no good. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

It's like eating something after you name it. That's just no good. 

RIP, Otto. (Rest In Pieces)

:whistle: