Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Builds Laser Rifle Like in Star Wars

OverSword

The Chinese military has built a Star Wars-like laser AK-47 capable of causing 'pain beyond endurance', according to researchers.

The handheld weapon can hit targets half a mile away using an energy beam that cannot be seen but causes 'instant carbonisation' of human skin.

The source is the daily mail so it must be true.  Certain people will be thrilled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The physics of the weapon described seems very implausible. It's claimed to be powered by lithium batteries similar to those used in a mobile phone. As the article linked below explains, the energy requirements of such a weapon would be much, much higher. Far too high for a rifle type of weapon.

https://www.sciencealert.com/china-has-apparently-produced-a-laser-ak-47-here-s-the-actual-science-zkzm-500-laser-assault-rifle

Edited by bison
corrected link address
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

There is a direct link in my OP.

The first time I clicked on it there wasn't. 

Sounds implausible, but it would be scary if they have this technology. If they do, they may choose not to demonstrate it publicly.

Maybe it’s another front to help with the apparent mechanical failure of their aircraft carrier? Whether it is true or not.

39 minutes ago, seanjo said:

being burned to death is pretty barbaric by any standards.

Being 'anythinged' to death is pretty barbaric to be fair. Especially if you're not agreeing to it. But yeah, burning is right up there on the list of 'ways I'd rather not go out with'.

• Like 3

I'm willing to bet this is BS. If a handheld laser weapon powerful enough to do damage was possible with current technology, the US would already have them. Or at least be prototyping them. We really do have laser cannons in the works, but they are huge. Like, ship-mounted huge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Holy crap!  Go to his youtube page and there is a short clip on the first video of a home made robot using a smaller laser to burst balloons.  This kid is nuts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Holy crap!  Go to his youtube page and there is a short clip on the first video of a home made robot using a smaller laser to burst balloons.  This kid is nuts.

The things is, it's 'easy' stuff. So building a high powered laser weapon would take a trip to the hardware store and ebay. Now if someone develops either a fully functional BFG-9000 or a handheld railgun that can reach hypervelocity speed, then I'll worry.

• Like 1

What a BRILLIANT military concept. 

A weapon that tells EVERYONE whereabouts the shooter is. I'm sure the average infantry soldier will be DELIGHTED to be the one to actually USE this weapon. 

Oh... wait... < listens to earpiece> .. um.. the producer is telling me that the average infantry soldier would probably NOT be too happy about this ? :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

A weapon that tells EVERYONE whereabouts the shooter is.

I think this is the same reason that they quit using flamethrowers. 

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think this is the same reason that they quit using flamethrowers. 

Yeah.. they really got their fingers burnt with that one ! :P 

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

What a BRILLIANT military concept. 

A weapon that tells EVERYONE whereabouts the shooter is.

Not when the light isn't in the visible spectrum. 

The researchers said its invisible frequency and the fact it produces no sound gives the advantage of stealthy attacks.

• Like 1

Well ths sure makes me feel safe. Just what the world needs another weapon to use on people.