Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs lose ability to make up after fights

Still Waters

A team of researchers with the University of Vienna's Messerli Research Institute has found that wolves tend to reconcile shortly after conflicts but dogs do not. In their paper published in the journal Royal Society Open Science, the group describes their study of captive wolf packs and dogs from a rescue shelter and what they learned.

Wolves, as most are aware, live in packs. Such packs, prior research has shown, tend to have rules of behavior to ensure survival of the pack. There are rules regarding dominance, eating, mating and apparently, as the researchers in Austria found, rules regarding how to behave after a conflict. Dogs are also still considered a pack animal, but as the researchers also found, have lost an important pack trait—the ability to make up after fighting.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-dogs-lost-ability-violent-conflicts.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how humans would rate on that study. 

• Like 1

The domestication of dogs from wolves caused juvenile characteristics to be retained throughout life. Among these is sustained barking. It comes as no surprise, then, that dogs are also given to immature and unrestrained animosity, while grown wolves know better. Some humans could learn a thing or two from wolves.

• Like 2

It may also depend upon what the dogs were fighting about.  Dogs can get protective of there food, "area" and owners.  My Brittany fought with my son-in-law's Husky because he tried to show her who was boss by biting her on the ear.  She retaliated and won.  They got along after that as long as he didn't try to share her food, water or my wife.  My daughter had a black lab then who has since died.  My dog got along great with him.  No fights and shared. There's a new Husky at their house now.  As long as he doesn't try to sniff her but our makes any quick moves and scares her.  The black lab hasn't been replaced yet, so we'll have to see. 

• Like 1

Makes sense. Wolves depend on each other to hunt but domesticated dogs know their owners provide the food

Fascinating study.

It never occurred to me that certain animals would reconcile after a fight.

But now that I think about it,also see it in sibling rivalry in many species. One minute they're fighting, then frolicking together the next.

• Like 1