Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frequency of "A"

even at 5’9 the different wrappings plus a coffin would have put it in the vacinity of at least 6 inches. That would be pushing it at 6’5.

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Whatever sound whacking the sarcophagus might produce, how on earth is this at all relevant to the king's tomb?

Well, the subject comes up often among the more serious players of whack-a-mummy.

Harte

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

even at 5’9 the different wrappings plus a coffin would have put it in the vacinity of at least 6 inches. That would be pushing it at 6’5.

What are you trying to say? The dude had a really tall coffin? That's quite possible but unknown with certainty because the coffin in which he was found was not his own. His was one of the mummies swapped around in ancient times and stuck in TT320 (a'k'a' DB320). But New Kingdom outer coffins were often huge. We have one on display in our exhibit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harte said:

Well, the subject comes up often among the more serious players of whack-a-mummy.

Harte

That's where whack-a-mole came from. :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

What are you trying to say? The dude had a really tall coffin? That's quite possible but unknown with certainty because the coffin in which he was found was not his own. His was one of the mummies swapped around in ancient times and stuck in TT320 (a'k'a' DB320). But New Kingdom outer coffins were often huge. We have one on display in our exhibit.

I’d love to know what you’re trying to say? A long coffin like that of Tut’s would not have fit in the great pyramid sarcophagus. Interesting to note that the average coffin size in modern times is about 7foot. 

So if the outta coffins were like you said huge in ancient Egypt then even a small king would not have fit into the GP 6’5 foot granite sarcophagus. Of course the only question mark is without anything to compare with it’s hard to say that. 

13 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

And was the tuning fork tested all over the sarcophagus, or did the guy whack it once and decide that's good enough?

The King’s Chamber is the main chamber in the Great pyramid. Within this chamber is a hollow, lidless coffer made of solid granite. Pietsch said that if I struck this coffer, it would give off a tone. I should tune up to this tone in order to be at one with it, thereby attuned with the chamber. “And by the way,” he said, “you’ll find that note to be A-438.” In the West, our established A-note vibrates at 440 vibrations per second. He was saying that the A-note of the coffer was two vibrations lower than ours, which would make their A-note slightly flat, only a shade lower in pitch, but different nevertheless. Although he had not personally visited the Great Pyramid, he seemed to know this quite definitely.
In the weeks to follow, I located a battery-operated device called a Korg Tuning Trainer, which registers on a meter the exact pitch of any tone. “What the heck,” I thought. “Just in case.I picked up the electronic tuning device I’d brought and struck the coffer again. There it was, A-438, just as Ben had predicted

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-TM50TRBK-Trainer-Metronome-Black/dp/B01J9BH4K4

Given the surviving evidence of Old Kingdom royal burials, I am of the persuasion that the sarcophagus of Khufu's burial chamber could have easily contained an adult male of up to 6ft in height. He was likely considerably shorter than six feet. Perhaps between 5'5 and 5'9. Though this is speculation in lieu of a body.

• Like 1

The royal death mask during the Old Kingdom was made of plaster and molded over the head. It would not have significantly increased the body's stature.

And considering a Pharaonic crown has never been found, it is likely that this piece of equipment belonged to the office of kingship rather than the individual kings. Khufu would likely have not been buried wearing a crown.

The royal coffin would have been made of imported cedar wood and inlaid with gold or possibly silver. It likely would not have been significantly smaller than the inner sarcophagus. Perhaps around 6'2 or so.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 2

Khufu wasn't the only Dead person in the sarcophagus:

"The first night we went in there, we spent the whole evening singing in the room. We made up little choral groups and divided up into different vocal parts and just sang. The sound was incredibly rich And full. Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears". 

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/egyptbam3.htm

Could this acoustical phenomena have been put used for a ritual purpose?

42 minutes ago, WVK said:

"The first night we went in there, we spent the whole evening singing in the room. We made up little choral groups and divided up into different vocal parts and just sang. The sound was incredibly rich And full. Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears". 

Impossible. The sarcophagus could only fit one adult male. 

And how exactly does a new age ritual "prove" your above assertion?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

And how exactly does a new age ritual "prove" your above assertion?

Stoned "Dead Heads" acting like stoners is a ritual? I thought it was American tourists being their normal selves.

Idiots. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The acoustical "phenomena" I would assume is a coincidence. The sarcophagus was made of granite which during the Old Kingdom was a very costly material. Its purpose was to display the king's status.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WVK said:

Why didn't they record this on film or video? 

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WVK said:

These are the kind of wishy-washy, New Age, woo folks I'd just as soon keep out of Egyptian monuments. They might be adept at churning out all sorts of fantasies but don't know the first thing or care about the history and society of ancient Egypt/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

The acoustical "phenomena" I would assume is a coincidence. The sarcophagus was made of granite which during the Old Kingdom was a very costly material. Its purpose was to display the king's status.

Every chunk of mass has its own resonant frequency.

You could hang my house by a cable and hit it with a sledge and it would vibrate at its own frequency.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Harte said:

Every chunk of mass has its own resonant frequency.

And the sarcophagus in question is broken.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

These are the kind of wishy-washy, New Age, woo folks I'd just as soon keep out of Egyptian monuments. They might be adept at churning out all sorts of fantasies but don't know the first thing or care about the history and society of ancient Egypt/

Lets not shoot the message on account of the messenger.  Question is what would a (pre-scientific) AE initiate have

made of this? 

Because it would obviously have been a new phenomenon.

I mean, it's not like the AEs went around banging on rocks with metal bars.

Oh. Wait.

Harte

• Haha 1

"-and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a  reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears".

Question is what would a (pre-scientific) AE initiate have made of this? 

3 minutes ago, WVK said:

"-and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a  reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears".

Gee, if you put a string into two cans and talk they vibrate I wonder what the ancient  Campbell soup culture made of that.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Gee, if you put a string into two cans and talk they vibrate I wonder what the ancient  Campbell soup culture made of that.

jmccr8

Is that the best you can do?  F

Just now, WVK said:

Is that the best you can do?  F

Everything is subject to vibration and resonance but to try to assign an intended value is foolish. They needed a box of some dimension to fit a body into, the acoustical effect is incidental as it wasn't designed as the boom box of eternity. People want to make all kinds of grand meaning for things that are just not all that significant.

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, WVK said:

Chances are they would have made nothing of it, for the simple reason being that if someone struck the sarcophagus during the royal funeral it would have been considered sacrilege. That individual would likely have been taken out of the sacred preceint (I doubt blood would have been shed within the premise, as the entire pyramid complex was considered holy ground) and executed immediately on the crown prince's orders.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

Chances are they would have made nothing from it, for the simple reason being that if someone struck the sarcophagus during the royal funeral it would have been considered sacrilege. That individual would likely have been taken out of the sacred preceint(doubt blood would have been shed within the premise) and executed immediately on the crown prince's orders.

I would suggest reading the quote before commenting. F

Just now, WVK said:

I would suggest reading the quote before commenting. F

An F? Well...I guess there's always a first time for everything. LOL!

• Haha 1