Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Frequency of "A"

12 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Do not even think that! Danger!

But he knows all.

Image result for camel animated humor gif

19 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Do not even think that! Danger!

• Haha 1

In all honesty these ancient technology dweebs are going to damage the monuments. In fact they have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It isn't dead.  But like most on the fringe, when confronted with a steady barrage of archaeological facts and sound logic he took off.  He will be back after a refreshing dip in the crankish waters of Hancock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so at least this probing attack by one of the minions of Crankistan has been repulsed.

• Like 2

Definitely dead.

2 hours ago, John Bastien said:

so at least this probing attack by one of the minions of Crankistan has been repulsed.

Not quite yet.  We have very unusual acoustics reported. Assuming the report is accurate the first question is was it intentional.

If not intentional, was it noticed and used in some way.  For example might Khufu have used the effects in some way to convince his subjects that he was touched by the divine?  

No, WVK. Just no. You're avoiding proper historical studies and trying to make sense of some New Age wackado's fantasy.

It was a sarcophagus inside the burial chamber of a king;s tomb. Even if Khufu or one of his men whacked the side of the granite box, the only people who could've heard it  were those gathered inside the chamber. The other 99.99% of the population would never have heard it, not would they have been allowed entry into the pyramid.

12 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Jmccr8 is correct. The sound "value" that the stone masons would have heard was incidental and likely would have been no more significant than any other sound heard in their daily lives.

Or would you have us to believe that the ancient Egyptians would have assigned musical significance every time someone passed gas?

Well, it IS the musical fruit...

Or magical.

Depending on where you grew up.

Harte

10 hours ago, WVK said:

Once again! I would suggest reading the quote before commenting. F,F

Yeah, Lord Harry. He's not talking about striking it.

He's talking about people actually climbing in and laying down in it, and commencing to hum.

Surely the royalty wouldn't have had a problem with that.

Sheesh man! Get it straight for God's sake.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Yeah, Lord Harry. He's not talking about striking it.

He's talking about people actually climbing in and laying down in it, and commencing to hum.

Surely the royalty wouldn't have had a problem with that.

Sheesh man! Get it straight for God's sake.

Harte

I'm not sure it works. I tried humming inside the sarcophagus many, many years ago. All that happened is that a piece of the corner cracked and fell off. Ever since, I've been using it as a doorstop. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

No, WVK. Just no. You're avoiding proper historical studies and trying to make sense of some New Age wackado's fantasy.

It was a sarcophagus inside the burial chamber of a king;s tomb. Even if Khufu or one of his men whacked the side of the granite box, the only people who could've heard it  were those gathered inside the chamber. The other 99.99% of the population would never have heard it, not would they have been allowed entry into the pyramid.

Fine, I accept that. However considering that this forum is for "Discussing the mysteries of the ancient world"  what was it about the following that deserved the pile on ridicule? 

"We have very unusual acoustics reported. Assuming the report is accurate the first question is was it intentional. If not intentional, was it noticed and used in some way.  For example might Khufu have used the effects in some way to convince his subjects that he was touched by the divine? ' 

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

Why?

I think the lecture room in the Fogg Museum is the best example of acoustic architecture. 

As is The Āli Qapu Palace, St Paul's Cathedral and Epidaurus Theatre.

The Frogg Museum initally had poor acoustics;

"At the end of the 19th century, an assistant professor of physics at Harvard University named Wallace. Clement Sabine undertook the task of correcting the acoustics of the Fogg Art Museum Lecture Hall. Rather than merely correcting the acoustics, Sabine’s work on this acoustically difficult space (semicircular,domed, with arched perimeter) formed the basis for his monumental research on reverberation
time and absorption. This work and its subsequent publication established Room Acoustics as a real
science, rather than guesswork and luck"

Were the acoustics of Āli Qapu Palace intentional (ditto St Pauls whispering gallery)?

The room on the sixth floor is also decorated with plaster-work, representing pots and vessels and one is famous as the music and sound room. It is certainly well worth visiting for the cut out decorations round the room, which represent a considerable artistic feat. These cut out shapes were not placed there to act as cupboards; the stucco-work is most delicate and falls to pieces at the highest touch. So we conclude that it was placed in position in these rooms for ornament and decoration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ālī_Qāpū

Epidaurus Theatre: Myth

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/16/whisper-it-greek-amphitheatre-legendary-acoustics-myth-epidaurus

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Fine, I accept that. However considering that this forum is for "Discussing the mysteries of the ancient world"  what was it about the following that deserved the pile on ridicule? 

"We have very unusual acoustics reported. Assuming the report is accurate the first question is was it intentional. If not intentional, was it noticed and used in some way.  For example might Khufu have used the effects in some way to convince his subjects that he was touched by the divine? ' 

Well I have to hand it to you, as you are the first fringe theorist in all my years on these forums to admit his hypothesis is wrong.

Hats off to you sir!

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WVK said:

The Frogg Museum initally had poor acoustics;

"At the end of the 19th century, an assistant professor of physics at Harvard University named Wallace. Clement Sabine undertook the task of correcting the acoustics of the Fogg Art Museum Lecture Hall. Rather than merely correcting the acoustics, Sabine’s work on this acoustically difficult space (semicircular,domed, with arched perimeter) formed the basis for his monumental research on reverberation
time and absorption. This work and its subsequent publication established Room Acoustics as a real
science, rather than guesswork and luck"

Were the acoustics of Āli Qapu Palace intentional (ditto St Pauls whispering gallery)?

The room on the sixth floor is also decorated with plaster-work, representing pots and vessels and one is famous as the music and sound room. It is certainly well worth visiting for the cut out decorations round the room, which represent a considerable artistic feat. These cut out shapes were not placed there to act as cupboards; the stucco-work is most delicate and falls to pieces at the highest touch. So we conclude that it was placed in position in these rooms for ornament and decoration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ālī_Qāpū

Epidaurus Theatre: Myth

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/16/whisper-it-greek-amphitheatre-legendary-acoustics-myth-epidaurus

Gonna answer my question?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

Well I have to hand it to you, as you are the first fringe theorist in all my years in these forums to admit his hypothesis is wrong.

Hats off to you sir!

fringe theorist? How so?

Just now, WVK said:

fringe theorist? How so?

Claiming the royal sarcophagus in the Great Pyramid was a music box for the dead king for starters...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Claiming the royal sarcophagus in the Great Pyramid was a music box for the dead king for starters...

Show me where I made that claim.

16 hours ago, danydandan said:

Why?

"In addition, all reflections from the parallel walls of the ball court are first reflections, that is, they have a difference in arrival of less than 35 milliseconds with respect to the direct signal and therefore help the sound reinforcement of the message. The fact that the walls surrounding the north and south temple are less than the parallel walls of the court, prevent the rays that fall in this area from the north temple or the south temple are returned or reflected to the court, thus avoiding unwanted reflections and therefore interference."

https://www.acusticaweb.com/acustica-arquitectonica/blog/acca-arquitecta/artlo-especial-sobre-la-acca-de-chichen-itz.html

https://www.acusticaweb.com/acustica-arquitectonica/blog/acca-arquitecta/artlo-especial-sobre-la-acca-de-chichen-itz.html#comment-899

On 7/5/2018 at 12:33 PM, WVK said:

Khufu wasn't the only Dead person in the sarcophagus:

"The first night we went in there, we spent the whole evening singing in the room. We made up little choral groups and divided up into different vocal parts and just sang. The sound was incredibly rich And full. Also, the King's Chamber has a giant sarcophagus in it -a rectangular coffin about 7 X 4 X 4 feet -and it, too, had a particular resonance, so each of us took turns lying down inside of it and humming notes. When you found the resonant note, the softest you could hum would reverberate so much in that frequency that it would massage your whole body. And if you hummed at the level of a reasonable talking voice or louder, it actually hurt your ears". 

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/egyptbam3.htm

Could this acoustical phenomena have been put used for a ritual purpose?

You implied it above.

And if you didn't...than you implied the equally impossible scenario of the royal mortuary cult allowing random individuals to lay on top of the deceased king inside his sarcophagus for the purpose of humming. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

You implied it above.

And if you didn't...than you implied the equally impossible scenario of the royal mortuary cult allowing random individuals to lay on top of the deceased king inside his sarcophagus for the purpose of humming. 

You surmised it above.  Humming on top of the dead king is not "impossible"  but rather unlikely.

12 minutes ago, WVK said:

You surmised it above.  Humming on top of the dead king is not "impossible"  but rather unlikely.

In plain English then, what exactly is the ancient context you are suggesting?

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, WVK said:

From the closed  "The Great Pyramid (G1)" thread

"The frequency for A ranges from 432 to 446. The average of this is 439 which still isn't 440.

The coffer in the Kings chamber: 

I picked up the electronic tuning device I’d brought and struck the coffer again. There it was, A-438, just as Ben had predicted.

You surely "didn't forgot" to explain your revelation in detail. The sound engineers would surely differ with your claim. Note that there is no mentioning of any  average frequency in this following statement taken from Wikipedia.

A440 or A4 (also known as the Stuttgart pitch), which has a frequency of 440 Hz, is the musical note of A above middle C and serves as a general tuning standard for musical pitch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)

Do you realize that there is a thing called "sound oscillator," which produces sound with any precisely set frequency? There are no tone averages, only ever-deepening human ignorance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teb64y-D2sA

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

In plain English then, what exactly is the ancient context you are suggesting?

Not suggesting, asking. . I believe that the AEs would find the described  acoustics magical, supernatural.  Possibly used for psychological manipulation by the Chief.  Y'all have made it clear that that was not possible.  I'm good with that