Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monkeys in Panama have entered the Stone Age

UM-Bot

That's pretty astounding,  but imagine if it was fashioning a knife or similar tool from flint.

• Like 2

Then that would be Einstein.  The others would be amazed, now how did he do that!?!?!?!? einstein10.jpg So will he be teaching the others? 

Yeah kiddo its so simple isn't it, play it off as no big thing.   After -- someone shows you how. nernst-einstein-planck-millikan-laue-193

Edited by MWoo7

Interesting behaviour. I'm more surprised by the plastic waste strewn around in the background. This is supposed to be a pristine environment - a National Park and a World Heritage Site. Can't help but feel sorry for the little monkeys scavenging on a rubbish tip.

• Like 3

Umm... lots of animals use "tools"... twigs and stones... to access food. 

But.. does that necessarily qualify them as "tool users" ? 

3 hours ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

That's pretty astounding,  but imagine if it was fashioning a knife or similar tool from flint.

I think DirtyDocMartens has expressed it eloquently ? 

Bashing something with a stone doesn't qualify a species as a tool-user.. and hence the term "Stone Age" is misleading ? 

Stone-Age humans modified the stones they where using. Let me know when a white-faced capuchin creates a StoneHenge.. or a Pyramid.. and I'll sit up and take notice :D 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

Quite a few bird species use tools to obtain a meal,surprising what a motivator hunger is.The best one I saw was birds using bread fed to them to lure fish close enough to catch.I don't think animals are stupid enough to evolve into anything as destructive as us.

• Like 2

So, the Planet of the Apes has started.  I do hope the next generation of humanoids improves on the current ones.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, openozy said:

Quite a few bird species use tools to obtain a meal,surprising what a motivator hunger is.The best one I saw was birds using bread fed to them to lure fish close enough to catch.I don't think animals are stupid enough to evolve into anything as destructive as us.

I have a catbird that rides on the loader and sits next to me when I am moving the cut offs from the logs up to the house for firewood he jumps down to the empty spot and looks for bugs. Then when I'm splitting wood he just sits on the pile waiting to spot a spider. Birds are far from stupid. 

• Like 2

The crows here in Oz have learnt how to deal with the introduced poisonous cane toad by flipping it on its back and eating its guts out.The cane toads are decimating large numbers of predators here.I love crows.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, RoofGardener said:

Umm... lots of animals use "tools"... twigs and stones... to access food. 

But.. does that necessarily qualify them as "tool users" ? 

I think DirtyDocMartens has expressed it eloquently ? 

Bashing something with a stone doesn't qualify a species as a tool-user.. and hence the term "Stone Age" is misleading ? 

Stone-Age humans modified the stones they where using. Let me know when a white-faced capuchin creates a StoneHenge.. or a Pyramid.. and I'll sit up and take notice :D 

Several animals  are known to modify found objects to use as tools. Chimpanzees make wooden spears from sticks, for hunting prey, shred and wad up leaves to make ersatz sponges for gathering drinking water, and modify twigs for 'fishing' for termites in narrow holes. Elephants carefully modify leafy branches for fans, when they're too hot. Crows modify twigs, leaves and even their own feathers for tools.

• Like 1

And newts use Dremels. It's rare, but it happens. 

To me this does qualify as tool use, but the headline is a bit OTT, when it doesn't have to be because this is an interesting enough. 

Tool use is known in many species, and ones you just wouldn't expect such as crocodiles. I'd argue that selecting an object and using to carry out or aid an activity qualifies. 

On 04/07/2018 at 9:22 PM, RoofGardener said:

Actually, the pyramids and stonehenge are from the bronze age so you're expecting a bit much :P

Aaand nerdiness done for the day. 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, openozy said:

The crows here in Oz have learnt how to deal with the introduced poisonous cane toad by flipping it on its back and eating its guts out.The cane toads are decimating large numbers of predators here.I love crows.

I love them too.  They are wicked smart.  There is a young girl in Seattle, 10-12 years old  that feeds crows in her neighborhood.  They started bringing her trinkets and shiny bits.    They do recognize individuals and can react differently to different people.  Better be on your best behavior around them or they will remember and tell their friends. 

Some species of crows have been observed looking for a proper stick then  modifying it with their beaks to fashion a grub hook.  Chimps do modify sticks sometimes too in order to fish termites, it is a learned behavior and takes practice.  No napped flints yet.

• Like 1

Yeah, a bit sensational. Orangutans and chimps can build a fire by gathering kindling and use matches or a lighter to start it then cook a hot dog.  Some of them can use a computer to communicate about as well as us old folks.  It is a learned behavior.  They can see results and imitate them to get success.  Maybe the Aha moment of inventiveness will come some day.

At this point, if something fashions a stick to break into your flat and steal any grubs or small shiny bits in your kitchen, my money is on New Caledonian crows.

• 2 weeks later...

A large rectangle monolith was also found nearby... I'm not saying there related...

Edited by TripGun