Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Scales Statue of Liberty

susieice

A woman attempted to scale the Statue of Liberty as an ICE protest went on below. Police don't think she was part of the protest. They were in contact with her.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/statue-of-liberty-arrests-abolish-ice-july-4-park-police-487338651.html

http://abc7ny.com/live-woman-climbs-statue-of-liberty;-liberty-island-evacuated/3705327/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If she is a part of the ICE protest, then she needs to step back down. I support the ICE protests, but they should be protesting it legally. Climbing a public statue is dangerous for her, and the authorities trying to get her down. Make your presence known in the protest, yes, but don't go overboard like this.

• Like 4

Lady Liberty looks almost impossible to climb on the outside. Her dress looks too smooth to cling to but it may be different up close? Either way, this protester should have just rented a plane to write messages in the sky - it gets the point across without risking life and limb...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

If she is a part of the ICE protest, then she needs to step back down. I support the ICE protests, but they should be protesting it legally. Climbing a public statue is dangerous for her, and the authorities trying to get her down. Make your presence known in the protest, yes, but don't go overboard like this.

There were seven protesters who were arrested and they said she was not associated with them. Police don't think she was part of the protest either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Lady Liberty looks almost impossible to climb on the outside. Her dress looks too smooth to cling to but it may be different up close? Either way, this protester should have just rented a plane to write messages in the sky - it gets the point across without risking life and limb...

You can see her in the pictures from the first link between the statue's feet, but I don't think she made it onto the statue itself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

There were seven protesters who were arrested and they said she was not associated with them. Police don't think she was part of the protest either.

Well then I have no idea why she'd be doing that then. Just another loony perhaps. Like that guy who climbed Trump tower.

Update to first link now shows the woman was part of the protest but no one knew she would do this. It doesn't seem police have her down yet but you can see them in the video at the beginning of the link.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Well then I have no idea why she'd be doing that then. Just another loony perhaps. Like that guy who climbed Trump tower.

Just posted again AK. The first link was updated a minute ago. They didn't know she was going to do this.

• Thanks 1

The video is live. Police haven't gone up onto the statue yet.

Seems she has just lost Liberty for a while.

• Like 1

I just hope no one falls.

There supposed to be a massive fireworks display with celebrities tonight by the statue. It will be televised here at 10 PM. Macys puts it on every 4th from Battery Park.

Police have just gone on the statue. They are trying to get her down.

It seems the news stopped the live broadcast. Officers are on the statue trying to get her down. Hope everyone stays safe.

I'm watching the live feed from Fox 10 Phoenix.

They have her in a harness now.

• Like 1

Double post

Edited by .ZZ.

It's back on. Police have her and are tying ropes around her to help get her down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I'm watching the live feed from Fox 10 Phoenix.

They have her in a harness now.

Just saw your post ZZ. They got her.

• Like 1

Watching this live on CNN. Hope everybody gets down safe including these police/rescue workers. They are risking their lives and they are the real hero's in my book ! 

• Like 2

She's down. Now for the two officers.

Everyone is down.

• Like 1

So one person decides to say "LOOK AT ME!"  and they evacuate the island on the Fourth and ruin the day for thousands?  Giving loud-mouthed nut cases a veto over public expressions of patriotism is a bad idea.  Let her climb.  Don't ruin it for the people who just want to enjoy the festivities.

• Like 1

I think there was a real fear she'd fall or jump. It's a shame this had to happen on a day when the statue is a prime attraction for so many that are in the area. The 4th of July show is in Battery Park tonight. I'm watching it now. Keith Urban, Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson and Ricky Martin are performing. A huge crowd! A huge fireworks display will go off with the statue in the background. Thousands of those people went to the statue today. It's probably better that they didn't hamper the rescue effort or witness what could have turned out to be a bad experience.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1