Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Scales Statue of Liberty

susieice

6 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Lady Liberty looks almost impossible to climb on the outside. Her dress looks too smooth to cling to but it may be different up close? Either way, this protester should have just rented a plane to write messages in the sky - it gets the point across without risking life and limb...

I think that once you get past the plinth, Lady Liberty's toes are eight feet tall.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I think that once you get past the plinth, Lady Liberty's toes are eight feet tall.

Yeah, they might be. It's hard to get a sense of scale...I've driven by the island but never set foot on it myself (no pun intended)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Image result for picture of the statue of liberty

This should give you an idea. She was under the foot of the statue itself. Police were on the small balcony at the top of the pedestal. It isn't very wide. It would have been a bad fall. I think the pedestal from the bottom door to the balcony is 100' but I'm not sure.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

I still think that it looks much more like a man than a woman (talking specifically about the face, and traditional male/female gender physiology) IMHO.

In reply to this thread: Yes, people can be stupid. And yes, it’s unfortunate when the general public sometimes has to pay for that said stupidity. But stupid people do exist, and things must be done when stupid people do do stupid things. Performing this stunt on this date is IMHO; stupid.

This is the first lesson in Stupidity 101. You can send the cheque (Australian spelling) to timothy@australia.com

The initial lesson in stupidity is $13.00 AUD, subsequent lessons will be $01.00 AUD as required. There may be a transaction fee if using Amex (AMEX?), although I won’t tell you what it is until after the transaction has been processed.

Kindest of regards,

Timothy

Head of stupidity Australia PTY LTD

Edited by Timothy
Regretful typo.
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I hope she is punished to the full extent that is available for this act.   It was a stupid move that had consequences for many.    She is lucky that she didn't get injured.

I'm sure the 3000 people who were evacuated or turned away are thrilled that this lady ruined their 4th of July plans. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I hope she is punished to the full extent that is available for this act.   It was a stupid move that had consequences for many.    She is lucky that she didn't get injured.

I'm sure the 3000 people who were evacuated or turned away are thrilled that this lady ruined their 4th of July plans. 

Me too. Do people realize that statue represents the millions of people who came here LEGALLY and didn't use children for battering rams to breach the border? And they came from everywhere to escape famine and oppression. It was good enough for my immigrant ancestors and it's good enough for them.

I also found a few interesting facts. The statue can be seen from 60 miles at sea on a clear day and since the renovation of the statue ending in 1986, the flames of the torch are gold plated.

• Like 3

Nevermind

Edited by OverSword

11 hours ago, Timothy said:

I still think that it looks much more like .

This is the first lesson in Stupidity 101. You can send the cheque (Australian spelling) to timothy@australia.com

The initial lesson in stupidity is $13.00 AUD, subsequent lessons will be $01.00 AUD as required. There may be a transaction fee if using Amex (AMEX?), although I won’t tell you what it is until after the transaction has been processed.

Kindest of regards,

Timothy

Head of stupidity Australia PTY LTD

What  a good idea...would seem stupid not to.

Do we get to scale buildings as part of the lessons?....i am sure there are some who would pay extra for that.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, aztek said:

so she committed a crime to protest lawful actions of the president, wow,  liberalism at it finest.

U.S. Park Police identified the woman as Therese Okoumou, and said she faces multiple charges including trespassing, interference with National park regulations, and disorderly conduct.

Those charges are about normal for every protest, aren't they?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gromdor said:

Those charges are about normal for every protest, aren't they?

i have no clue, never followed on what charges protesting liberal criminals get, do you?

1 minute ago, aztek said:

i have no clue, never followed on what charges protesting liberal criminals get, do you?

Seems to be the charges all protesting criminals get. 

Just now, Gromdor said:

Seems to be the charges all protesting criminals get. 

as they should

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

She is pleading Not Guilty..   Hmmm, I don't think you can deny that you did this.   I hope they throw the book at her.  I really hate it when people mess with national monuments.   I also hate when people ruin the plans of over 4000 people who plan to visit said monument.  

The woman who scaled the Statue of Liberty on Independence Day in protest of the Trump administration's immigration policies pleaded not guilty Thursday.

Therese Patricia Okoumou, 44, appeared in Manhattan federal court and pleaded not guilty to charges of trespassing, interfering with agency functions and disorderly conduct.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 3

Amazing isn't it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aztek said:

so she committed a crime to protest lawful actions of the president, wow,  liberalism at it finest.

Both sides do stupid things.  Remember when the Bundys took over a Federal Building and looted and trashed it?  The difference?  There isn't one person on the left in this thread defending the actions of an idiot woman with a stupid idea.  

1 minute ago, aztek said:

lol, good luck to her, and her lawyer.

Well, if you read her bio, she's an immigrant from the Congo who came here and has been complaining and causing trouble ever since.  'Cause like, things are so much better in the Congo.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, aztek said:

Well, she SAID she was going to stay up there until "all the children were freed" or some such.  I say they should have left her to see if she really meant it.

If she did and starved to death, then they could have just bronzed over her body and sort of included it as part of the statue.  That way, her protest would have been "...enshrined for perpetuity blah blah blah leaving a lasting legacy blah blah future generations would marvel blah blah blah..."

Edited by Menhir
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Menhir said:

I say they should have left her up there to see if she really meant it.

They had a prior chance to shut her up....and did not take it when they allowed the tape to be removed:

She had allegedly covered her mouth with tape and refused to respond to police demands.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/07/04/statue-of-liberty-climber-identified-as-immigrant-activist/amp/

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Both sides do stupid things.  Remember when the Bundys took over a Federal Building and looted and trashed it?  The difference?  There isn't one person on the left in this thread defending the actions of an idiot woman with a stupid idea.  

So...you think people who loot are bad-? 

ButI defended her actions.  I mean, I said they should have left her up there and so forth.

Of course, I'm not on the left.  Or am I? Hmmmm....come to think of it, I think "liberals" should be allowed to abort all the babies they want. I really truly mean it when I say I hope no "liberal" ever has another baby in this country again.

Maybe I'm a leftist after all-?

Do you think people who loot are bad?

That seems like an easy to answer kind of question.  

I didn't qualify it by adding anything like "If you don't think people who loot are bad then you're this or that, etc."

I don't know how you expect someone to have a conversation when they ask a simple, neutrally-worded question...and you start name-calling "troll" and so forth.

Maybe you never actually wanted to have a conversation.