Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained scratches on my body

Kjp7839

So not sure if anyone else has experienced this and can help me figure out what’s going on. So I have random scratches appear on my body. Now a lot of people just say “oh you probably do it yourself in your sleep” but this happens when I am awake and aren’t moving anywhere or doing anything. I will feel a strange burning sensation then all of a sudden the scratches will appear. At first they started being 3 scratches but now it’s sometimes more or less. I started getting them in about 2014/2015 without explanation then they stopped for about a year.  They recently started again from December until March when I had 3 close family members pass away. Now I haven’t had them for a few months then tonight I have been to my grandmas grave and all of a sudden tonight I have had about 5 scratches appear on my neck which just seems like a massive coincidence. I have tried scratching myself just to prove the point I’m not doing it myself and I cannot make them look like the ones I get. Sometimes they are pretty bad scratches yet 95% of the time they disappear within a few hours - which scratches don’t usually do. Does this happen to anybody else and is there anyone I can see about this ? Any comments appreciated. I Have attached a picture of what has appeared tonight. BCCE4FEF-EEAE-4387-A024-489EBA8ED1C8.thumb.jpeg.2554323c9e9b7af69b9987113306cc48.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kjp7839 said:

Does this happen to anybody else

Yes.  Commonly reported, and usually either self-inflicted, or to do with an allergy of some kind, perhaps related to slightly scratchy clothing, or your fingers may simply be spreading an irritant of some kind..

and is there anyone I can see about this ?

A doctor.  Let us know what they say.  Maybe dermatographia or one of many other possibilities - but internet diagnosis is worth less than what you just paid for it, so see a doctor..

Any comments appreciated.

I hope you can appreciate a more sympathetic comment.  I believe scratches are a commonly reported aspect of the real paranormal activity. Wow, it is hard to think visiting the grave of a loved one could cause this as it seems malevolent. Do you have any personal theories of what might be happening to help us out here?

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Yes.  Commonly reported, and usually either self-inflicted, or to do with an allergy of some kind, perhaps related to slightly scratchy clothing, or your fingers may simply be spreading an irritant of some kind..

A doctor.  Let us know what they say.  Maybe dermatographia or one of many other possibilities - but internet diagnosis is worth less than what you just paid for it, so see a doctor..

Thanks for the reply. It just doesn’t seem as if it could be anything like that as why would I not have it all the time? And not sure it would be clothing as it happens when I aren’t wearing anything. But yea probably best to see a doctor just to check it out. 

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I hope you can appreciate a more sympathetic comment.  I believe scratches are a commonly reported aspect of the real paranormal activity. Wow, it is hard to think visiting the grave of a loved one could cause this as it seems malevolent. Do you have any personal theories of what might be happening to help us out here?

Yea I’ve now read that a few people have had similar experiences. I’m honestly not sure of an explanation. I’m swayed more towards it being paranormal as no other theories seem possible as they do literally appear out of nowhere. But it’s just wether you believe in that kind of stuff you know. Also visiting the grave it may not be my grandma but of course it was a graveyard so there are others there as well, just seems kind of a coincidence.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kjp7839 said:

Thanks for the reply. It just doesn’t seem as if it could be anything like that as why would I not have it all the time? And not sure it would be clothing as it happens when I aren’t wearing anything. But yea probably best to see a doctor just to check it out. 

Welcome to UM,

If you’re concerned that it’s something unnatural, you must simply film yourself, for reassurance, if that’s what’s needed. 

A dermatologist would be the best option, and filming the condition as it appears will also definitely help. 

Please do let us know if you find the cause! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, seanjo said:

They look more like rash lines than scratches, you may have an allergy, get a Doctor to take a look.

Where is that?

33 minutes ago, seanjo said:

They look more like rash lines than scratches, you may have an allergy, get a Doctor to take a look.

Where is that?

No they are definitely scratches I have lots of other pictures you can see more clearly  but won’t let me post them.  They are on my neck on the picture.

1 minute ago, Timothy said:

Welcome to UM,

If you’re concerned that it’s something unnatural, you must simply film yourself, for reassurance, if that’s what’s needed. 

A dermatologist would be the best option, and filming the condition as it appears will also definitely help. 

Please do let us know if you find the cause! 

Thanks for the reply! I will write if I find out the cause. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kjp7839 said:

Yea I’ve now read that a few people have had similar experiences. I’m honestly not sure of an explanation. I’m swayed more towards it being paranormal as no other theories seem possible as they do literally appear out of nowhere. But it’s just wether you believe in that kind of stuff you know. Also visiting the grave it may not be my grandma but of course it was a graveyard so there are others there as well, just seems kind of a coincidence.

Just please be aware that there has never been a proven paranormal explanation for anything like this, so don’t get sucked in by other people’s experiences.

Emotional things can happen in our lives, and we may look for other explanations, but your doctor/dermatologist should without question be your best and first port of call in a case like this. :tu:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

This person may have a real medical/psychological problem and you're blathering on about paranormal bull****?

He's doing that again? <_<

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

’m swayed more towards it being paranormal as no other theories seem possible

The explanations have been given and are absolutely posible.

Being swayed towards paranormal is an indication you have no idea about the medical posiblities so go to the ridiculous woo woo ideas.

Take care of yourself physically and get this checked out with a doctor and please read links below...

Although skin writing may sound exotic, dermatographia is a common condition, affecting 2 to 5 percent of the population. It is considered one of the more prevalent forms of hives and accounts for 7 to 10 percent of all cases of skin rashes and swelling.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319258.php

What are you looking to achieve here btw...are you looking for help to explain what this is and are willing to read them or are you looking for confirmation that you are special ( those who are not concerned about anything factual can help you here - i see paraG is already there. ) 

Unfortunately you are not special and have not been chosen as a writing board by dead people. You are normal...but with a medical condition which could escalate if you do not get it checked out. Please get it checked out by a doctor and not a priest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

it was a graveyard so there are others there as well,

Good point.

9 hours ago, seanjo said:

This person may have a real medical/psychological problem and you're blathering on about paranormal bull****?

I am sure the person has considered those things also.

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

The explanations have been given and are absolutely posible.

Being swayed towards paranormal is an indication you have no idea about the medical posiblities so go to the ridiculous woo woo ideas.

Take care of yourself physically and get this checked out with a doctor and please read links below...

What are you looking to achieve here btw...are you looking for help to explain what this is and are willing to read them or are you looking for confirmation that you are special ( those who are not concerned about anything factual can help you here - i see paraG is already there. ) 

Unfortunately you are not special and have not been chosen as a writing board by dead people. You are normal...but with a medical condition which could escalate if you do not get it checked out. Please get it checked out by a doctor and not a priest.

I’m not completely stupid I obviously considered a skin condition first. However nothing that I have found explains my situation. As you are not here seeing what happens when the scratches appear then it’s hard for you to understand. It is definitely not dermatographia or hives it’s nothing like those. I am not looking for confirmation that I am ‘special’ I’m looking to see if it is a possibility that it could be paranormal and if anybody has had experiences of that or if anyone has had the same experience and has in fact found a medical condition for it. 

Edited by Kjp7839

22 minutes ago, Kjp7839 said:

I’m not completely stupid I obviously considered a skin condition first. However nothing that I have found explains my situation. As you are not here seeing what happens when the scratches appear then it’s hard for you to understand. It is definitely not dermatographia or hives it’s nothing like those. I am not looking for confirmation that I am ‘special’ I’m looking to see if it is a possibility that it could be paranormal and if anybody has had experiences of that or if anyone has had the same experience and has in fact found a medical condition for it. 

It does look like a dermatology issue. 

You have been given what it posibly is, so unless you have been to a dermatologist i do not get why you would think it is paranormal.......i am not calling you stupid, but that kind of thinking is a bit ridiculous.

Please do not come back and tell us you have been to a dermatologist..  as you have stated you have not been to your doctors yet.

I have seen similar and worse and am not a doctor, but worked in a pharmacy years ago....your scratches are not new to man. 

Do not rely on the internet to give you an exact picture of your scratches, they come in all shape, sizes and degree of redness. 

Please come back to us when you have got a medical opinion from your doctor......

i doubt he will tell you it is paranornal, is this why you have not been to see your doctor? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I am sure the person has considered those things also.

That is not what they want to hear, hence why they have not been to the doctors yet.

11 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

But yea probably best to see a doctor just to check it out. 

14 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

I have been to my grandmas grave and all of a sudden tonight I have had about 5 scratches appear on my neck which just seems like a massive coincidence. 

Doea not seem like a massive coincidence at all......can you list the plants in the cemetary or near the grave. You have been advised about allergies....this could very well be one.

So once you supply us with the plants you may have come in contact with or have been to the. doctor, we are at a standstill. 

Paranormal is not even on the list when you have not done the obvious research first. Plants then doctors.

So the other 15 times this has happened to me whilst I’ve been sat in the house is because of a plant ? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It does look like a dermatology issue. 

You have been given what it posibly is, so unless you have been to a dermatologist i do not get why you would think it is paranormal.......i am not calling you stupid, but that kind of thinking is a bit ridiculous.

Please do not come back and tell us you have been to a dermatologist..  as you have stated you have not been to your doctors yet.

I have seen similar and worse and am not a doctor, but worked in a pharmacy years ago....your scratches are not new to man. 

Do not rely on the internet to give you an exact picture of your scratches, they come in all shape, sizes and degree of redness. 

Please come back to us when you have got a medical opinion from your doctor......

i doubt he will tell you it is paranornal, is this why you have not been to see your doctor? :rolleyes:

As I have said I have firstly had a look into different medical conditions and skin disorders and none of them relate to the scratches that I get therefore i was considering Other explanations. I’ve already said I haven’t been to anybody, because it has never been a major issue it isn’t something I deal with daily I just came here to share my experience and see if anybody had gone through similar. I have had scratches much worse that have drew blood but it doesn’t let you insert more than one photo, on other photos you can clearly see they are long scratch marks. 

I shall let you know when I have been to the doctor :) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kjp7839 said:

No pets 

I was curious. When my dogs were pups, they like to climb all over me. Leaving similar marks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

As I have said I have firstly had a look into different medical conditions and skin disorders and none of them relate to the scratches

Did you do this on the internet?

The internet can be very good when looking for support or to share your experience with others = after you have been to the doctor and know what you have:

Often, online support groups are the only ones available in remote and rural areas. People often have a lot of questions following a diagnosis, and internet forums and websites allow people to ask them in a safe way. They can access information that would have otherwise been unavailable to them.

http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/articles/2011/december/dr-or-dr-google-pros-and-cons-online-health-advice

NOTE: if you have been looking through the internet and think nothing on the medical sites relate to your symptoms, the obvious place to go to next is your doctor, it certainly is not to turn to the paranormal.

2 hours ago, Kjp7839 said:

it has never been a major issue it isn’t something I deal with daily

All the more reason why it could be an allergic reaction, only a visit to the doctor or dermatologist can diagnose this, the internet can not. 

Some people look their symptoms up on the internet and by the time they have finished, they conclude they are :

A:  The only one in the world with that 'condition', 

B:  Have a load of other conditions they were not aware of 

C:  Are a medical phenomenom 

D:  Believe it is paranormal so will disregard any similar symtoms anyway....because they are looking for an exact match to theirs...so unless they find it, they confirm in their own minds what they want it to be.

E:  Died weeks ago.

• Like 1