Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump 'angry baby' blimp will fly over London

Still Waters

2 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You're arguing the case Khan can sanction and be involved in a political stunt regarding the visit of an American president regardless of others opinion, ie he calls the shot's, is it not your lack of understanding the meaning of 'represents' it isn't my opinion it's the one you've argued.

With regard to whether protests happen in the city where he's mayor, yes he calls the shots. That's his job. 

It doesn't mean he calls all the shots or represents the city on all stages. 

1 minute ago, Setton said:

It doesn't mean he calls all the shots or represents the city on all stages.

That's what we have a Queen for, who does it with immeasurably more dignity than the embarrassing parade of egomaniacs that put themselves forward as Mayor. :hmm: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So what is the point of electoring a Mayor? All he does is duplicate the existing MPs, doesn't he. The only thing he (every one there's been, Ken, Boris, Mayor Sadiq) seems to do is mess about with buses; Mayor Ken decided London had to have super-duper bendy buses, then Mayor Boris decided that these would never do and what London really needed was a super duper new doubled decker better than anything that had ever been seen before, and scrapped all of Mayor Ken's bendy buses (and swamp London with Boris Bikes that tourists can hire to risk their lives); while Mayor Sadiq's policy, so far as anyone can tell, is that he'd prefer to abolish buses altogether and force everyone to either walk or use the former Boris Bikes, which of course have now been rebranded Sadiq Cycles.

Weeeeellll... in THEORY..... an MP represents the individual voters in his/her constituency, and NOT a thing called "London". There are around seventy such parliamentary constituencies in London.... a rather breathtaking figure, I thought. 

A Mayor, on the other hand, is supposed to represent the interests of the city itself, rather than the constituent constituencies. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Torchwood said:

After a recent camping trip to Scotland I have decided to re-designate Australia as merely the second most dangerous place to live; I mean, it may have drop bears, sharks, crocs, swimming knives, and enormous bouncing mice, but it lacks what may be the most voracious creature on the planet.  The natives like to ironically refer to them  as "Mossies" and "Midgies", in an effort to lull tourists into a false sense of security, but which are actually better described by their scientific name which translates as "Flying Piranhas"...

ahh.. not quite correct

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/photos/mosquitoesofaustralia.htm

aussie_mossies_poster.jpg

In a healthy democracy free speech is for everyone. Trump has a right to express himself even if he offends some people. People have a right to their views and to protest, criticise and demonstrate.  In this context I am reminded of Spitting Image, Charlie Hebdo, The Life of Brian, etc ... If Trump could silence his critics he would. Thank God he can't.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So what is the point of electoring a Mayor? All he does is duplicate the existing MPs, doesn't he. The only thing he (every one there's been, Ken, Boris, Mayor Sadiq) seems to do is mess about with buses; Mayor Ken decided London had to have super-duper bendy buses, then Mayor Boris decided that these would never do and what London really needed was a super duper new doubled decker better than anything that had ever been seen before, and scrapped all of Mayor Ken's bendy buses (and swamp London with Boris Bikes that tourists can hire to risk their lives); while Mayor Sadiq's policy, so far as anyone can tell, is that he'd prefer to abolish buses altogether and force everyone to either walk or use the former Boris Bikes, which of course have now been rebranded Sadiq Cycles.

Yes the job is to bring all these things together and make sure they get carried through, not get involved in the affairs of state particularly when your reason to do so is personal and not in the interest of the country, he's a disgrace to Britain.

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

In a healthy democracy free speech is for everyone. Trump has a right to express himself even if he offends some people. People have a right to their views and to protest, criticise and demonstrate.  In this context I am reminded of Spitting Image, Charlie Hebdo, The Life of Brian, etc ... If Trump could silence his critics he would. Thank God he can't.

I agree, i don't think the Lord mayor of London should be involved in a stunt to ridicule the president of the USA and if they allow this where do you draw the line, 'Khan in a suicide vest'? i can think of a lot more that would upset a lot of people of cource individuals should be allowed but an elected official representing the capital is a childish stunt that effects us all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

I agree, i don't think the Lord mayor of London should be involved in a stunt to ridicule the president of the USA 

He's not involved in it and you know that. 

It was proposed in the city where he is mayor and as such, his office decides whether the protest is safe and legal etc to go ahead. It is so these people can exercise their right to protest. 

He's doing his job. Nothing more or less. 

Let me ask you a simple question: on what legal grounds should this protest not take place? 

Edited by Setton
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Setton said:

He's not involved in it and you know that. 

It was proposed in the city where he is mayor and as such, his office decides whether the protest is safe and legal etc to go ahead. It is so these people can exercise their right to protest. 

He's doing his job. Nothing more or less. 

Let me ask you a simple question: on what legal grounds should this protest not take place? 

Of course he's 'involved' he could have said no.

53 minutes ago, Setton said:

I think the protest should take place as i think the counter protest should, i don't think khan should have given permission for this giant blimp to fly over the capital during the presidents's visit and it's not in the interest of the country

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 2:44 PM, Still Waters said:

A giant balloon dubbed "Trump baby" has been given the green light to fly near parliament during the president's UK visit.

London mayor Sadiq Khan's Greater London Authority has approved a request for the flight after thousands signed a petition and a crowdfunding campaign raised more than £16,000 to get the six-metre inflatable off the ground.

Strict rules are in place for the flight from Parliament Square Gardens, with the balloon being tethered to the ground and restricted from floating higher than 30m (98ft).

https://news.sky.com/story/trump-angry-baby-blimp-gets-green-light-to-fly-over-london-during-presidents-visit-11426665

Do you think some Trump supporter will have the sense of humour to shoot it with an air rifle?

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Do you think some Trump supporter will have the sense of humour to shoot it with an air rifle?

Doubt it, given firearm laws in the UK. They'll probably just try to knife it to death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Doubt it, given firearm laws in the UK. They'll probably just try to knife it to death.

Assuming they get their knife license in time

• Haha 3

On 07/07/2018 at 4:03 PM, DingoLingo said:

hmmm... west coast?

nah, I'm talking east coast...gold coast canals are full of the little devils...they're a very aggressive shark. 

4 minutes ago, Astra. said:

nah, I'm talking east coast...gold coast canals are full of the little devils...they're a very aggressive shark. 

*laughing* I know.. was warned not to go swimming in them.. thought you might have been talking about Mandurah on the west coast.. has the same problem there.. 

so there are a few of us queenslanders on here.. never realised lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

I think the protest should take place as i think the counter protest should, i don't think khan should have given permission for this giant blimp to fly over the capital during the presidents's visit and it's not in the interest of the country

I didn't ask your personal opinion on the protest.

I asked what legal grounds there are for it not taking place. 

If you can't give any, all you're doing is suppressing these people's rights because you don't agree with them. 

And if there is no reason, the mayor's office can't stop the protest happening anyway. 

1 hour ago, Setton said:

I didn't ask your personal opinion on the protest.

I asked what legal grounds there are for it not taking place. 

If you can't give any, all you're doing is suppressing these people's rights because you don't agree with them. 

And if there is no reason, the mayor's office can't stop the protest happening anyway. 

You're making up you're own narrative, i did agree with their right to protest and i thought legally it was a foregone conclusion.

5 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You're making up you're own narrative, i did agree with their right to protest and i thought legally it was a foregone conclusion.

Then why should the mayor have stopped it? 

1 minute ago, Setton said:

Then why should the mayor have stopped it? 

Humiliating the president of America with him knowing it had to be sanctioned by an elected government official isn't in the interest of the UK, they can have their normal protest the children could wear their masks and fly their own bloons, by allowing this extraordinary event for a visiting leader of another country is disgraceful, lets see if he sanctions the Khan blimp.

Campaigners raised £35,000 for the Khan baby balloon.The only way it can be stopped is if Mr Khan blocks it. It comes as Mr Khan was accused of ignoring his day job because he's obsessed with "attacking" Donald Trump.

https://www.************/news/6725566/top-trump-ally-and-ex-nyc-mayor-calls-on-sadiq-khan-to-do-his-job-and-stop-sniping-at-president/

15 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Humiliating the president of America with him knowing it had to be sanctioned by an elected government official isn't in the interest of the UK, they can have their normal protest the children could wear their masks and fly their own bloons, by allowing this extraordinary event for a visiting leader of another country is disgraceful, lets see if he sanctions the Khan blimp.

If that's how they want to protest and its not dangerous or illegal, what grounds does the mayor have to stop it taking place? 

Just now, Setton said:

If that's how they want to protest and its not dangerous or illegal, what grounds does the mayor have to stop it taking place? 

It also is not being displayed anywhere where it could be viewed by the visiting president. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Setton said:

I've given you the reasons.

33 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It also is not being displayed anywhere where it could be viewed by the visiting president. 

Where does it say that, thanks.