Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Location of the Atlantean Hall of Records

Dark_Lord

Over the course of the 1930's, the American psychic Edgar Cayce popularized the concept of an Atlantean Hall of Records built as a repository of antediluvian knowledge. One stood in Egypt, under or near the Great Sphinx of Giza, while two more were built on Atlantis (Poseidonis) itself and in Yucatan. In a number of "readings", Cayce described the contents and location of these Halls of Records. 

In their 2000 book titled "The Lost Hall of Records", authors John Van Auken and Lora Little identified the site of Piedras Negras, in Guatemala, as the most likely location of Cayce's Yucatan Hall of Records.  
This identification seems to be corroborated by certain Maya legends of the Tzeltal people that speak of a "House of Darkness", an underground chamber built by the legendary cultural hero and civilizing god Votan, where the sacred records of his race were to be kept and preserved for posterity. Curiously, Votan was also said to have come from a land to the East, beyond the sea, that many have since identified with Atlantis. This "House of Darkness" was said to exist somewhere along the Usumacinta river, perhaps in the vicinity of Palenque, a city said to be founded by Votan himself. 

Piedras Negras is located along the Usumacinta River. Yet another site, Yaxchilan, also located along the same river a mere 35 kilometers from Piedras Negras, may be an equally suitable candidate for the location of Cayce's Yucatan Hall of Records. 

This article suggests that a labyrinthine system of tunnels and chambers on three different levels that exists under the ancient city of Yaxchilan could hide the entrance to the legendary Hall of Records. 

Here is a link to another video taken inside the mysterious labyrinth of Yaxchilan, where several blocked tunnels and passages may be seen that could provide communication with a vast network of caverns believed to exist under the ancient city. 
  • Thanks 1

Very intriguing there @Dark_Lord

What do you think would be in the Hall of Records? Books, engravings, what?

So there are still people who think Atlantis is real.

God, I hope people like that don't vote.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 5

The story of Atlantis was clearly a myth. But if it were based on something tangible, it was likely a vague memory of the Minoans. Both the mythical Atlantis and the Minoan Empre were formidable seapowers. And the eruption of Mount Thera likely wiped out the Minoan colony on the island of Santorini which perhaps gave rise to Plato's story of the destruction of Atlantis.

Edited by Lord Harry
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

I would have added “or breed” except my old man’s an amateur Atlantisologist.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The book The Sunken Kingdom by Peter James has an interesting take on this. Atlantis wasn't real. It definitely could have been based on an event, or several. An amalgam of events inspiring a fictional narrative. The Sunken Kingdom book primarily links some parallels between the Atlantis myth and Tantalus & Sypylus in Turkey. It is actually more interesting than it sounds at face value. I picked it up years back expecting a good nutty yarn, but some resear h did go into it. The veracity of its claims: no comment....or....who knows....or meh or something. However, it is only one of many possibilities concerning any one of many possible candidates for a historical benchmark the fictional work pulled from. The Thera theory is good, too. As well as a bunch of other known events of cities being swallowed by the sea. That can describe a large part of the Mediterranean! Elsewhere, too.

I love the research, but despise the idea it was 100%, unequivocally a true event happening to an actual place called Atlantis.

Edgar Cayce can p*** off.

Edited by Skulduggery
  • Thanks 1

Feeling talkative tonight, I will tell you about the Lost Hall of Records.  The Most Honorable Order of Ancient Engineers has closed that section of our library except for qualified research personnel.  Too many young engineers getting in there to look at the pictures of topless Greek and Cretan  goddesses.  If you think you have a legitimate reason to search the records, you may apply to the Registrar's clerk, Miss Auria Linda.  The Ric Ocasek records are on public display.  No more books or stone tablets.  We transferred all of the microfiche to liquid crystal storage 30 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Maybe the Emerald Tablet of Thoth is in there!!

9 hours ago, Dark_Lord said:

Over the course of the 1930's, the American psychic Edgar Cayce popularized the concept of an Atlantean Hall of Records built as a repository of antediluvian knowledge. One stood in Egypt, under or near the Great Sphinx of Giza, while two more were built on Atlantis (Poseidonis) itself and in Yucatan. In a number of "readings", Cayce described the contents and location of these Halls of Records. 

According to Cayce since I am 6 Nations "aristocracy" ( on the Algonquian end of things), I am a mixture of Atlantean and one of the Lost Tribes of the Jews , and I can honestly say that Cayce is full of horse hockey because genetics say I came from Siberia and I'm related to those Spam and cabbage munching former nomads known as Koreans.

Cayce also states that the Adena-Middlesex people, ancestors of the Central Algonquians (my ancestors) came from the Yucatan Peninsula when we actually came down from the North (The Glacier Kame Culture) and were related to the Old Copper Culture and Meadowood Horizon. Which shows once again that Cayce was making this **** up....:tu:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

It should be pretty obvious by now that they do.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dark_Lord said:

In their 2000 book titled "The Lost Hall of Records", authors John Van Auken and Lora Little identified the site of Piedras Negras, in Guatemala, as the most likely location of Cayce's Yucatan Hall of Records. 

Shouldn't the "Yucatan Hall of Records" be in the Yucatan?

Piedras Negras is not really even close.

This identification seems to be corroborated by certain Maya legends of the Tzeltal people that speak of a "House of Darkness", an underground chamber built by the legendary cultural hero and civilizing god Votan, where the sacred records of his race were to be kept and preserved for posterity. Curiously, Votan was also said to have come from a land to the East, beyond the sea, that many have since identified with Atlantis. This "House of Darkness" was said to exist somewhere along the Usumacinta river, perhaps in the vicinity of Palenque, a city said to be founded by Votan himself. 

Votan coming from the East is a concept that originates with Spanish Missionary priests.

Votan, far from a civilizer, was a god of war.

Also, even the oldest dates (which are speculation) for settlement of the area date back only to 8,000 BCE (and that's contested - most think around 2000 BCE.)

A little late for Atlantean influence.

Harte

• Like 2

He was King of the Hawkmen.

F025BF23-5A28-4C05-AF43-18CA07836349.jpeg.4f8ff545f02b9e26a8d0a05a76fb1245.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

He was King of the Hawkmen.

F025BF23-5A28-4C05-AF43-18CA07836349.jpeg.4f8ff545f02b9e26a8d0a05a76fb1245.jpeg

Oh,........I thought maybe Richard IV  grew wings.........sorry......

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Feeling talkative tonight, I will tell you about the Lost Hall of Records.  The Most Honorable Order of Ancient Engineers has closed that section of our library except for qualified research personnel.  Too many young engineers getting in there to look at the pictures of topless Greek and Cretan  goddesses.  If you think you have a legitimate reason to search the records, you may apply to the Registrar's clerk, Miss Auria Linda.  The Ric Ocasek records are on public display.  No more books or stone tablets.  We transferred all of the microfiche to liquid crystal storage 30 years ago.

Artemis_of_Ephesus%252C+1st+c.+CE+Roman+

Fortunately, historians are immune to such failings.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Oh,........I thought maybe Richard IV  grew wings.........sorry......

He was Exeter in Kenneth Branaugh's Henry V. I had no idea you could make full-body armor that big.

mindwarp4.jpg

Here he is as a drag queen as a whistling alien samurai king from space in Doctor Who.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yet another poster who submits an OP and then scampers away. It's getting to be too much of a habit at UM.

Dark_Lord, do you have anything further to say? As you can see, your own thread has fast lost its traction.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

He was Exeter in Kenneth Branaugh's Henry V. I had no idea you could make full-body armor that big.

mindwarp4.jpg

Here he is as a drag queen as a whistling alien samurai king from space in Doctor Who.

--Jaylemurph

VAR-oo-NIK!

(I regret nothing).

• Haha 1