Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

NASA searches ocean floor fo fallen object

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

OverSword
Quote

On March 7, three National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather stations detected the fall of what they believed to be a meteorite around 16 miles off the coast of Washington. 

"The fall was widely seen around local areas and widely heard around local areas – it came with some loud sonic booms," Marc Fries, the cosmic dust curator for NASA, told Live Science.

Brittany Bryson, who was sitting in a fast-food drive-through when it happened revealed a bright flash filled the sky, followed by a boom so loud it rattled her car.

"We thought it was a spaceship," she admitted.

I wonder what they might really be looking for?  It doesn't seem likely that they would be searching the ocean floor for a meteor.

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Vlad the Mighty

:hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
Posted (edited)
On 06/07/2018 at 7:48 PM, OverSword said:

I wonder what they might really be looking for?  It doesn't seem likely that they would be searching the ocean floor for a meteor.

Link

:rolleyes:

The conspiracy theory mindset - "I have no proof they they're lying, or have ever lied, but lies exist, and I don't understand the subject, so they must be lying"

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

:rolleyes:

The conspiracy theory mindset - "I have no proof they they're lying, or have ever lied, but lies exist, and I don't understand the subject, so they must be lying"

Does it seem likely to you that they would be searching hundreds of feet under the ocean for rocks which there are already plenty of examples of in labs and museums the world over or is it at all possible that someone dropped a top secret piece of equipment or even something more mundane?  Please feel free to look up Project Azorian.  Now I'm perfectly aware this a stretch but we already have very many samples of meteorites so why go to the expense and also the inherent danger of bringing rocks up from the depths?

Edit to add, seriously make a counter argument because to mock a conspiracy theory just on the fact that it is a conspiracy theory is weak and not really an argument at all.

Edited by OverSword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MWoo7

And they're not sure who, but amazingly some in the group are making a killing as in Trillions overnight it seems selling meteorites and fossils. /sarc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman

Has NASA ever gone fishing for meterorites before? That's all we need to know to tell if this is suspicious or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961

The first mission designed to hunt a meteorite that crashed into the ocean has now discovered what may be tiny fragments of the meteorite's crust, researchers say.

"This is the largest meteorite fall I've seen in 20-plus years of radar data," .Marc Fries, the cosmic dust curator for NASA, told Live Science.

The details the scientists had regarding the fall suggested the meteorite was unusually strong, Fries said. This knowledge, in combination with the fact the meteorite landed on a soft seafloor as opposed to dry land, suggested this ocean fall might yield large, relatively intact meteorites for scientists to study.

Until now, scientists had never intentionally recovered a meteorite from the ocean.

 

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/traces-apos-sonic-boom-apos-015900938.html?guccounter=1

https://thenewsrecorder.com/news/science/signs-sonic-boom-meteorite-found-ocean-36401.html 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emma_Acid
Posted (edited)
On 11/07/2018 at 5:27 PM, moonman said:

Has NASA ever gone fishing for meterorites before? That's all we need to know to tell if this is suspicious or not.

Why is it? What expertise are you using here to surmise whether or not it is "suspicious" and what basis do you have in the first place to suspect it of being so? 

None.

On 11/07/2018 at 4:26 PM, OverSword said:

Does it seem likely to you that they would be searching hundreds of feet under the ocean for rocks which there are already plenty of examples of in labs and museums the world over or is it at all possible that someone dropped a top secret piece of equipment or even something more mundane?  Please feel free to look up Project Azorian.  Now I'm perfectly aware this a stretch but we already have very many samples of meteorites so why go to the expense and also the inherent danger of bringing rocks up from the depths?

Edit to add, seriously make a counter argument because to mock a conspiracy theory just on the fact that it is a conspiracy theory is weak and not really an argument at all.

But then why would they even publicise it? Why would Nasa even get involved?

There is no basis, politically, historically, scientifically, to be "suspicious" of this. A meteor landed in the ocean. Nasa want to find it. I'm sorry if this isn't exciting enough for you guys as it is.

Edited by Emma_Acid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Why is it? What expertise are you using here to surmise whether or not it is "suspicious" and what basis do you have in the first place to suspect it of being so? 

None.

But then why would they even publicise it? Why would Nasa even get involved?

There is no basis, politically, historically, scientifically, to be "suspicious" of this. A meteor landed in the ocean. Nasa want to find it. I'm sorry if this isn't exciting enough for you guys as it is.

They publicized Project Azorian as something mundane while it was underway as well. 

There is no basis politically, historically or scientifically?  I've already listed all three of those categories with Project Azorian.  It's not that it isn't exciting enough as it is, it just doesn't seem completely logical because  It's seems like a lot of risk and expense to discover, in all likelihood absolutely nothing new.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:27 AM, moonman said:

Has NASA ever gone fishing for meterorites before? That's all we need to know to tell if this is suspicious or not.

It seems this is the only time. Link

Now here is the funny thing.  It seems the search (right off the coast near me) is happening just a few weeks after this picture which was somehow lamely explained as a helicopter

jjjajadia9222.jpg?quality=85

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.