Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should hateful speech be illegal?

and-then

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

We've got so many potheads and other nonviolent offenders in prison, a violent felon on probation, who actually tries to shoot and kill another person again only gets a few months. What happened to getting tough on gun crime? No, that would make too much sense. Let's make a drunk idiot, spouting off his mouth a hate crime so he can spend more time in jail than a killer or child molester. :rolleyes:

Some fuzz-head will present some tortured reason why the drunk moron should get more time than a violent commie. "Well, speech can be a form of violence that causes more damage than a lead pipe, and hatred has historical underpinnings."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Some fuzz-head will present some tortured reason why the drunk moron should get more time than a violent commie. "Well, speech can be a form of violence that causes more damage than a lead pipe, and hatred has historical underpinnings."

I wont say he should get more time but considering the inevitable result of the man's actions I think that equal time is definitely appropriate. 

1 minute ago, Paranormal Panther said:

"Well, speech can be a form of violence that causes more damage than a lead pipe, and hatred has historical underpinnings."

Oh my...how my heart bleeds :cry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

I wont say he should get more time but considering the inevitable result of the man's actions I think that equal time is definitely appropriate. 

He shouldn't be in jail. It's past time to find alternatives to ridiculous imprisonment for minor crimes as if we're some Third World country. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

He shouldn't be in jail. It's past time to find alternatives to ridiculous imprisonment for minor crimes as if we're some Third World country. 

I actually agree with you on that. He should do a short weekend jail sentence, pay a ton of fines and be forced to do a ton of mandatory counseling. 

Edited by Farmer77

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Do you now how expensive, time consuming and traumatic it is to have your pocket picked or a purse snatched? All your I.D? Maybe they should get five to ten too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Do you now how expensive, time consuming and traumatic it is to have your pocket picked or a purse snatched? All your I.D? Maybe they should get five to ten too.

When purse snatching has the potential to devolve into group violence including flat out race wars then sure you may have a point. 

The problem is less the single act itself and more the aggregate effect of those kinds of acts happening unchallenged. 

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I actually agree with you on that. He should do a short weekend jail sentence, pay a ton of fines and be forced to do a ton of mandatory counseling. 

They should just leave him alone. Public shaming is more than enough, and this current trend is getting out of hand.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

When purse snatching has the potential to devolve into group violence including flat out race wars then sure you may have a point. 

It depends on if a certain race is preying on a different race in particular.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

"Well, speech can be a form of violence that causes more damage than a lead pipe, and hatred has historical underpinnings."

that's the problem right there!= the fact that people cause damage via words.

having said that; how would you or anyone else react to someone (no physical contact) screaming in your face for 5/10 minutes?

the rational response would be to knock em out 'before' it gets violent= the screaming imo would imply a possible violent resolve from the screamer

13 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

what has purse snatching got to do with race wars? i don't get the correlation 

8 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

that's the problem right there!= the fact that people cause damage via words.

having said that; how would you or anyone else react to someone (no physical contact) screaming in your face for 5/10 minutes?

the rational response would be to knock em out 'before' it gets violent= the screaming imo would imply a possible violent resolve from the screamer

Would you rather me call you a "hurtful name" or punch you in the throat? I'd rather you or anybody scream in my face than kick me in the crotch. It's faulty to equate actions with words because it leads to abrogations of free speech. That kind of censorship is unacceptable to citizens who love liberty, and we won't tolerate extremists who try to stop us from expressing our opinions in nonviolent ways.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Would you rather me call you a "hurtful name" or punch you in the throat? I'd rather you or anybody scream in my face than kick me in the crotch.

Considering what we now know about the permanent physical effect that psychological trauma has on the brain the two are one in the same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Would you rather me call you a "hurtful name" or punch you in the throat? I'd rather you or anybody scream in my face than kick me in the crotch. It's faulty to equate actions with words because it leads to abrogations of free speech. That kind of censorship is unacceptable to citizens who love liberty, and we won't tolerate extremists who try to stop us from expressing our opinions in nonviolent ways.

in the real world i live in:

if i feel (via words) that i'm threatened in any way then i will react physically= why wouldn't i?

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Considering what we now know about the permanent physical effect that psychological trauma has on the brain the two are one in the same. 

yep exactly.. good words, Sir;)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

If you want me to spell it out for you...our shop is in the hood. There is a a feud between blacks and Hispanic illegal immigrants. There are so many illegal immigrants that blacks prey on them because they don't trust the police and mostly won't report crimes against them. Illegal immigrants' houses are broken into, cars stolen and they are robbed at gunpoint regularly. As a result, Hispanics have formed their own gangs to combat black gangs and heaven help any innocents caught in the crossfire.

If the facts of life disturb you they should. I tried to be delicate, without calling out any certain group. If you aren't exposed to this you're better off. We've been exposed to it for thirty years and I'm looking forward to the day we can retire and get out of that atmosphere.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

If you want me to spell it out for you...our shop is in the hood. There is a a feud between blacks and Hispanic illegal immigrants. There are so many illegal immigrants that blacks prey on them because they don't trust the police and mostly won't report crimes against them. Illegal immigrants' houses are broken into, cars stolen and they are robbed at gunpoint regularly. As a result, Hispanics have formed their own gangs to combat black gangs and heaven help any innocents caught in the crossfire.

If the facts of life disturb you they should. I tried to be delicate, without calling out any certain group. If you aren't exposed to this you're better off. We've been exposed to it for thirty years and I'm looking forward to the day we can retire and get out of that atmosphere.

what has this got to do with hateful speech?

54 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what has this got to do with hateful speech?

Somehow I'm not surprised.

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Somehow I'm not surprised.

no i don't get ya-- what do you mean by that? i'm confused

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

no i don't get ya-- what do you mean by that? i'm confused

Maybe someone else can. I'm getting tired and won't be online for long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Maybe someone else can. I'm getting tired and won't be online for long.

you started it!!! i asked you what gang wars has to do with this topic!? it's a simple logical question.. why you seem to be all confrontational baffles me

ok, forget i asked.. have a nice sleep;)

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

you started it!!! i asked you what gang wars has to do with this topic!? it's a simple logical question.. why you seem to be all confrontational baffles me

ok, forget i asked.. have a nice sleep;)

Nothing confrontational about it. The crimes start small and then people form gangs to combat their being victimized. The thread started with a woman feeling victimized and the outrageous jail time this jerk may serve for a one time offenseIt's not as it he has a history of assault.

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Nothing confrontational about it. The crimes start small and then people form gangs to combat their being victimized. The thread started with a woman feeling victimized and the outrageous jail time this jerk may serve for a one time offenseIt's not as it he has a history of assault.

right ok but again;

what has this got to do with this topic?

i think you're right= you should go to bed

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

right ok but again;

i think you're right= you should go to bed

If I had read any of your posts before I responded to you, I never would have.

My mistake. It won't happen again. ;)

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

If I had read any of your posts before I responded to you, I never would have.

My mistake. It won't happen again. ;)

you've still failed to answer the question!! i'll repeat: