Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New wasp species with a giant stinger

Still Waters

Researchers from the University of Turku, Finland, have discovered a new wasp species in the Amazon with an exceptionally large stinger that surprised even the scientists. The new insect, which is found in the extremely diverse transitional zone between the Andes and the Amazonian lowland rainforest, uses its stinger both for laying eggs and injecting venom.

"The stinger of the new parasitoid wasp called Clistopyga crassicaudata is not only long but also very wide, in comparison with the size of the species. I have studied tropical parasitoid wasps for a long time but I have never seen anything like it. The stinger looks like a fierce weapon," says Professor in Biodiversity Research Ilari E. Sääksjärvi from the University of Turku.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-wasp-species-giant-stinger-amazonia.html

• Like 3

Some entrepreneur in OZ should import THAT little piece of joy, immediately.  It will find it has "come home" to be among friends :w00t:

• Haha 2

First thing I did was compare its stinger to that of other wasp species, and OMG, it's huge!

Keep it away from me. UGH!

• Haha 1

I wonder if they discovered it by getting stung.

*shudders*

• Like 1

"The wasps seek out spiders living in nests and paralyse them with a quick venom injection. Then the female wasp lays its eggs on the spider and the hatching larva eats the paralysed spider as well as the possible spider eggs or hatchlings."

Nature is just seriously brutal. I thought people were bad but at least no one is going to inject me with paralysis and suffer till some eggs eat me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, and then said:

Some entrepreneur in OZ should import THAT little piece of joy, immediately.  It will find it has "come home" to be among friends :w00t:

Last summer I got stung on the back of the neck by a paper wasp,stung a bit but nothing too bad,by the time I walked back to the house was vomiting and covered head to toe in itchy lumps.Spent half a day in hospital and now have to carry an epi pen.We def have enough deadly stuff here.I now hate wasps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have some wasps that keep trying to build their nest between and storm door and entry door.  Persistent , too.  I kept knocking the nest down, they kept rebuilding it.  I finally had to get the exterminator. They finally took the hint until next year as this is a yearly thing with them.

Why is this terrifying? It lays its larvae into spiders, not humans...

Now the human bot fly, that's scary.

• Like 1