Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climate change!!!!

trevor borocz johnson

I do think this is a first for me, seeing this. Like another poster pointed out, it’s usually literal bible readers that tend to ignore climate change and using bible passages to explain their reasoning. Well, from what I have observed and noticed. (Well, what would I know, as someone who has never read the Bible, as they quote it to explain thier reasoning, I see them doing this, and figure ‘if they say so’. ). *shrugs* 

So, reading a religious person (from what I think this poster is) actually be concerned about climate change, I’m applauding that. :yes:  And I’m hoping, this is not unique. 

Now, using it as well to explain that it’s going to happen with the Bible, again, I’m like ‘if you say so’) *shrugs again* 

So, how is it that one can do this, and yet others use it on the other end of the spectrum of their backup here?

I reflect this while I have noticed that objectively the Bible is considered something that doesn’t have objective proof to it’s contents. I think it is observed how climate change is recorded of having provable reasons (natural and man made.) Reading the ‘bible quotes’ here to prove the point, why does it have to be interpreted that is that case? Isn’t the Bible pretty much need to be interpreted? Couldn’t it be interpreted that it doesn’t predict climate change? I reflect on this, because I am aware of various bibles being availed under various interpretations and types of sub-religions. Which one would be right? 

If the Bible has ‘old science’, how is it considered ‘old science’? And, in the manner of it being explained in the scientific way.  

I think it’s good one can be concerned about climate change. I think using the Bible for that concern is not very logical. (Remember, I mentioned this in my thoughts, what I think of it.) I consider it’s ambiguity priorities science and observations to be the reasons of concern and not an ancient book. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:19 PM, jmccr8 said:

Hi Trevor

If you want to measure climate change fart in a crowded elevator.

jmccr8

Best stress relieving post, ever!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Had to watch myself drinking my decaf!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

haha! You guys are my best friends!!!!

On 7/8/2018 at 6:50 AM, trevor borocz johnson said:

I think it's really dangerous how there isn't any information on the internet linking climate change and the prophecy of the bible, which directly talks about events of extinction and trying to protect the green grass with a Bottomless pit. The religious people I've talked to think the bible is a story or just there job. And climate change people are almost violent in there resistance of the 'Old Science' that is the bible and they need something new all the time. Needing the next new thing is blinding people from the urgency of the prophecy of end times, which isn't confusing to a logical person. The illogical should be last in the food line which is inevitably coming in the NEXT DECADE!!!!

According to our current Administration, climate change is a Chinese Hoax.  The Bible must be wrong, or fake news.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

According to our current Administration, climate change is a Chinese Hoax.  The Bible must be wrong, or fake news.

Good point. :P

• Like 5

To the original poster, speaking as a Christian, I would say attempting to study prophecy is a waste of time and I would be much more concerned about the disastrous effects of climate change...and actually doing something about it. Your time would be much more well spent there. For centuries, Christian's have made horrific errors in their interpretation of the Book of Genesis and the creation accounts resulting in a barbaric idea of anthropocentrism; that human beings are all that matter to God, and thus all of creation was meant to be exploited for our own gain. Human beings were meant to be stewards of creation....caring for and protecting what God has made...not ransacking it and destroying it. We are being called to action here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

To the original poster, speaking as a Christian, I would say attempting to study prophecy is a waste of time and I would be much more concerned about the disastrous effects of climate change...and actually doing something about it. Your time would be much more well spent there. For centuries, Christian's have made horrific errors in their interpretation of the Book of Genesis and the creation accounts resulting in a barbaric idea of anthropocentrism; that human beings are all that matter to God, and thus all of creation was meant to be exploited for our own gain. Human beings were meant to be stewards of creation....caring for and protecting what God has made...not ransacking it and destroying it. We are being called to action here.

This is completely off topic, I might start a thread about it, but do you think that thread Book of Revelation is relevant anymore or should it even be considered Gospel, or should it even be apart of the Bible?

Edited by danydandan

17 minutes ago, danydandan said:

This is completely off topic, I might start a thread about it, but do you think that thread Book of Revelation is relevant anymore or should it even be considered Gospel, or should it even be apart of the Bible?

Not in the sense that I see most people posting about it on here. In my opinion speculating about supposed end times events is worse than useless. It's nothing more than an attempt to read tea leaves out of the Bible.

We've been living in the 'end times' ever since Jesus ascended into heaven, thus the whole progression of time has taken on an eschatological character as the whole of creation is in the process of being made New and all things are being reconciled to God's self. That is my one paragraph summary of Revelation. 

Much of the so called prophetic writers and ministers are hacks, if you want me to be perfectly honest. Some of them lack any formal credentialing at all. 

I always say if anyone wants a serious understanding of the nature of Christian eschatology, they should study the work of Jurgen Moltmann, one of the greatest theologians of the modern era.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Not in the sense that I see most people posting about it on here. In my opinion speculating about supposed end times events is worse than useless. It's nothing more than an attempt to read tea leaves out of the Bible.

We've been living in the 'end times' ever since Jesus ascended into heaven, thus the whole progression of time has taken on an eschatological character as the whole of creation is in the process of being made New and all things are being reconciled to God's self. That is my one paragraph summary of Revelation. 

Much of the so called prophetic writers and ministers are hacks, if you want me to be perfectly honest. Some of them lack any formal credentialing at all. 

I always say if anyone wants a serious understanding of the nature of Christian eschatology, they should study the work of Jurgen Moltmann, one of the greatest theologians of the modern era.

I agree, it seems to be a fear tactic for coercion for either monatary purposes or obedience. I think through whole book has no authority and shouldn't be considered Gospel.

Jurgen Moltmann is a great resource, I especially like the Gifford Lectures. I think Father James Martin has a great outlook on things.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 3:50 PM, trevor borocz johnson said:

And climate change people are almost violent in there resistance of the 'Old Science' that is the bible and they need something new all the time.

What bible are you talking about? I dont know any bible that contains something related to science, "old" or new.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I agree, it seems to be a fear tactic for coercion for either monatary purposes or obedience. I think through whole book has no authority and shouldn't be considered Gospel.

Jurgen Moltmann is a great resource, I especially like the Gifford Lectures. I think Father James Martin has a great outlook on things.

I completely agree on the first part...the second part I'm not so sure. My biggest fault with it is not the Book itself, but so much of the bad interpretations of it. Throwing out the proverbial baby with the bath water so to speak.

Father James Martin is awesome. I love his book the Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I completely agree on the first part...the second part I'm not so sure. My biggest fault with it is not the Book itself, but so much of the bad interpretations of it. Throwing out the proverbial baby with the bath water so to speak.

Father James Martin is awesome. I love his book the Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything!

Yeah your right about the baby and the water anology. But I fear that book has caused so much hurt and pain for people it should be seriously considered to be withdrawn.

It's snowing awesome book. I'm by no stretch of the imagination Religious, however he speaks with such clarity and reason you have to respect his opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Yeah your right about the baby and the water anology. But I fear that book has caused so much hurt and pain for people it should be seriously considered to be withdrawn.

It's snowing awesome book. I'm by no stretch of the imagination Religious, however he speaks with such clarity and reason you have to respect his opinion.

For not being religious you certainly know some great religious thinkers and their work!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

For not being religious you certainly know some great religious thinkers and their work!

I have a great interest in Religion, I'm a physicist, but love reading history in particular on Religion and the history of science.

Probably being Irish and being brought up Catholic has something to do with it? Who knows.

I really like Marilyin Adams, Borg and Juilian of Norwich. Their approach to theological arguments are interesting. There's a lot more but I'd rather focus on the good things and being pragmatic with Religion.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I have a great interest in Religion, I'm a physicist, but love reading history in particular on Religion and the history of science.

Probably being Irish and being brought up Catholic has something to do with it? Who knows.

I really like Marilyin Adams, Borg and Juilian of Norwich. Their approach to theological arguments are interesting. There's a lot more but I'd rather focus on the good things and being pragmatic with Religion.

Very nice...and what an amazing field to be in. Once again you cite some great thinkers. Borg has had considerable influence on me and I'd cite Julian of Norwich's Showings as one of the best mystical books I've ever read.

I think that's a good and healthy approach...and perhaps focusing on the mystics and contemplative, ironically, is arguably more common sense in that it revolves around practice and the disciplines...rather than say, speculating about the meaning of Revelation lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Very nice...and what an amazing field to be in. Once again you cite some great thinkers. Borg has had considerable influence on me and I'd cite Julian of Norwich's Showings as one of the best mystical books I've ever read.

I think that's a good and healthy approach...and perhaps focusing on the mystics and contemplative, ironically, is arguably more common sense in that it revolves around practice and the disciplines...rather than say, speculating about the meaning of Revelation lol

Ah I'm a glorified lab technician, currently researching silicon photonics and virtual particle. I think I'd rather have studied Theology to be honest, sometimes.

I really like Borg he thinks like a scientist if that makes sense.

What really annoy's me is when people emphatically state every word in thr Bible is literal and literally true. If one can't distinguish between the fables and the rest I believe the whole concept and teachings are lost to them.

• Like 1

It seems completely unawaken in man that as we speak the 7 year period before the rapture is happening now and winding down! 

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

Ah I'm a glorified lab technician, currently researching silicon photonics and virtual particle. I think I'd rather have studied Theology to be honest, sometimes.

I really like Borg he thinks like a scientist if that makes sense.

What really annoy's me is when people emphatically state every word in thr Bible is literal and literally true. If one can't distinguish between the fables and the rest I believe the whole concept and teachings are lost to them.

Well, as a theologian and pastor...what you do sounds pretty interesting to me...and I'm sure you have a whole wealth of knowledge there that would sadly be utterly lost on me. 

And I would just keep doing what you're doing! I was studying theology long before I ever set foot in a seminary or had any advanced degrees or titles. You're already on the path it sounds like to me...just keep walking. I wonder, have you ever read someone like John Polkinghorne? There are several key theologians who also have a professional scientific background. Teilhard De Chardin is another. Some of those thinkers might really speak to you if you haven't read them already. And  Borg IS great in that regard too.

And on the last point I quite agree. I've always been rather baffled by strict biblical literalism. It's amazing how prevalent it is, even in our day and age. I think this is why we have to reject the idiotic notion of 'Sola Scriptura' as if the Bible somehow speaks without an interpreter or interpretation. Those words themselves...are an interpretation of Scripture. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trevor borocz johnson said:

It seems completely unawaken in man that as we speak the 7 year period before the rapture is happening now and winding down! 

The rapture, as it is usually descibed, was only "invented" in the 19th century, so how could revelation refer to an idea that didn't even exist when it was written ?

• Like 1

looting

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

The rapture, as it is usually descibed, was only "invented" in the 19th century, so how could revelation refer to an idea that didn't even exist when it was written ?

This is correct. The whole idea of the Rapture is nonsensical and has no basis in fact. Furthermore, the (bad) theology around it has tragic consequences and implications. It divides people into "us and them" and it attempts to pick winners and losers, thus I see it as a blatant disregard of Christ's command...the greatest commandment...to love our neighbors as ourselves. All Christian's have a moral imperative to be active in the world, not fleeing from it. All Christian's have a moral imperative to love the stranger and to bring hope and justice to the afflicted...not speculating about who is saved or isn't...who is in or out. The whole idea of the Rapture is heresy...and I don't use that term lightly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Well, as a theologian and pastor...what you do sounds pretty interesting to me...and I'm sure you have a whole wealth of knowledge there that would sadly be utterly lost on me. 

And I would just keep doing what you're doing! I was studying theology long before I ever set foot in a seminary or had any advanced degrees or titles. You're already on the path it sounds like to me...just keep walking. I wonder, have you ever read someone like John Polkinghorne? There are several key theologians who also have a professional scientific background. Teilhard De Chardin is another. Some of those thinkers might really speak to you if you haven't read them already. And  Borg IS great in that regard too.

And on the last point I quite agree. I've always been rather baffled by strict biblical literalism. It's amazing how prevalent it is, even in our day and age. I think this is why we have to reject the idiotic notion of 'Sola Scriptura' as if the Bible somehow speaks without an interpreter or interpretation. Those words themselves...are an interpretation of Scripture. 

It is interesting and some of it is mind boggling and kinda reaffirms my belief in God. I think the same can be said about your knowledge on me too.

I have heard of them theologians, though only through citation not actually reading there material Ill certainly look them up.

Sola scripture is bafflingly ignorant in my opinion, also extremely dangerous. It is governed by hate, racism and bigotry.

My "falling out" from Religion started after my Confirmation, I asked our parish priest how can anyone know which sections of the Bible to take literally and which are fables. He couldn't answer, but being Catholic he stated the Popes interpretation is what he is meant to preach. The issue was he didn't ascribe to what Pope John Paul II thought, and I asked who tells him and does that mean once he dies his opinion is moot? That's when I started reading other Holy books. However my belief in God has never altered.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, trevor borocz johnson said:

Rabbi Ben Judah, prophet of the bible says 2024, I say 2023, this article says 2026 , a popular year in the science community http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/p/extinction.html

More like when the Sun becomes a red giant in 5 billion years. That will be the end of the Earth. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Truthseeker007 said:

More like when the Sun becomes a red giant in 5 billion years. That will be the end of the Earth. 

Well the sun will gradually grow hotter over next few hundreds of millions of years. I've heard this will probably kill the earth long before it burns out of fuel.