Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFC and WWE getting too close?

Myles

Maybe the publicity and marketing money are too much to pass up, but I don't think it is a good long term thing for the 2 to be intertwined.   I think this was a total staged gimmick.  

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/09/brock-lesnar-confronts-ufc-champion-in-octagon-dana-white-vows-big-title-fight.html

Brock Lesnar made a surprise return to the UFC octagon Saturday night, confronting newly crowned heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and prompting UFC president Dana White to speak out about the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Maybe the publicity and marketing money are too much to pass up, but I don't think it is a good long term thing for the 2 to be intertwined.   I think this was a total staged gimmick.  

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/07/09/brock-lesnar-confronts-ufc-champion-in-octagon-dana-white-vows-big-title-fight.html

Brock Lesnar made a surprise return to the UFC octagon Saturday night, confronting newly crowned heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and prompting UFC president Dana White to speak out about the moment.

Yeah I think the whole thing was staged to sell tickets, Lesnar has been a huge disappointment in the ring but he draws customers and CM Punk was a joke.

• Like 2

I haven't watched wresting for a few decades.   I have watched some UFC.   I don't think it has been scripted, however blurring UFC and WWE is not something that will attract me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It'll be a big draw, they're both doing it for the money.

• Like 2

Where to begin...

I HATE this!!!

"As real as it gets" is what used to be the slogan for UFC,but since the UFC was bought out 2-3 years back it has become garbage!

Dana has turned that promotion into nothing but a commercial for everyone from the horrible Reebok deal to now WWE's faux "rival"...

MMA is a legit sports competition,WWE is athleticism meets soaps...

Dana White used to brag about the UFC taking over boxing because they made fights happen between those who EARNED the chance to proclaim themselves the best in the world,instead of shady deals between even shadier promoters...Not anymore!

The rise of the "super star" Rousey,Lesnar,McGregor and the leeway White is allowing will ruin them eventually...I mean look at the CM Punk fiasco,dude had absolutely ZERO credentials to be fighting on the biggest stage in MMA yet there he was getting his ass handed to him twice just because he was famous for fake fighting!

The UFC was almost completely banned and shutdown in the early days for being TOO REAL and evolved rules and regulations to become a respected sport,this kind of clowning around will cost them dearly if no end is in sight.

Boxing was once Americas biggest past times and almost EVERYONE in the country could tell you the name of the World Heavyweight Champion at the time...I bet i could ask everyone on this entire site "who is the current heavyweight boxing champion?" without them looking it up and MAYBE 5 people could answer me correctly :mellow:

@Bama13 might know half the answer,since 1 is from Tuscaloser :whistle: :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been watching MMA well before it was a brand, in all honesty I think you need to take the good with the bad. Dana is a clown sometimes, sometimes he's ok. That Lesner DC fiasco is a joke but it will help keep the company relevant, it will generate a massive ppv which might have some good young up and comers and that ppv will give them a great platform to their career.

I just hope DC annihilates him in the first round using his wrestling, but man you forget how big Lesner really is. DC looked tiny compared to him.

But Lesner will be filled up with PED's so regardless of what happens it will be a joke fight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Where to begin...

I HATE this!!!

"As real as it gets" is what used to be the slogan for UFC,but since the UFC was bought out 2-3 years back it has become garbage!

Dana has turned that promotion into nothing but a commercial for everyone from the horrible Reebok deal to now WWE's faux "rival"...

Dana White used to brag about the UFC taking over boxing because they made fights happen between those who EARNED the chance to proclaim themselves the best in the world,instead of shady deals between even shadier promoters...Not anymore!

The rise of the "super star" Rousey,Lesnar,McGregor and the leeway White is allowing will ruin them eventually...I mean look at the CM Punk fiasco,dude had absolutely ZERO credentials to be fighting on the biggest stage in MMA yet there he was getting his ass handed to him twice just because he was famous for fake fighting!

The UFC was almost completely banned and shutdown in the early days for being TOO REAL and evolved rules and regulations to become a respected sport,this kind of clowning around will cost them dearly if no end is in sight.

Boxing was once Americas biggest past times and almost EVERYONE in the country could tell you the name of the World Heavyweight Champion at the time...I bet i could ask everyone on this entire site "who is the current heavyweight boxing champion?" without them looking it up and MAYBE 5 people could answer me correctly :mellow:

@Bama13 might know half the answer,since 1 is from Tuscaloser :whistle: :lol:

Deontay Wilder from Title Town FTW

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

I HATE this!!!

@Bama13

You have good cause to "HATE this".  It doesn't take much for a sport (especially a fairly new one as far as popularity goes) to get dealt a death blow.   Being aligned with a soap opera and making people wonder if stuff is scripted is a bad move towards ruin.

The past year, the popularity of the UFC went down a little and I think this is a drastic move to get it to spike up by drawing from the WWE fans.   They should have gone another route.   More promoting of their best fighters is the way to go.   I'm just a casual fan.   Maybe even less than that.   I couldn't name 3 of the top fighters they currently have.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

I've been watching MMA well before it was a brand, in all honesty I think you need to take the good with the bad. Dana is a clown sometimes, sometimes he's ok. That Lesner DC fiasco is a joke but it will help keep the company relevant, it will generate a massive ppv which might have some good young up and comers and that ppv will give them a great platform to their career.

I just hope DC annihilates him in the first round using his wrestling, but man you forget how big Lesner really is. DC looked tiny compared to him.

But Lesner will be filled up with PED's so regardless of what happens it will be a joke fight.

Yeah man,i've been a fan and a fighter since the early 90's when i first got into boxing around 9 years old...i've seen what shady promotions,managers,and "theatrics" can do to a legit sport.

Dana was the "mastermind" behind the rise of the UFC after the Gracie days and the "reality" show The Ultimate Fighter put MMA back on the map!...but since Zuffa and the Fertita's moved on,Dana doesn't seem to have anyone to reign him in anymore and is making bad decisions for short term gains.

UFC bought out all the competition years back and tried to monopolize the sport,i'm glad Bellator has the cash backing to give fighters who aren't Dana's golden boys a chance for money and fame...

Dana's Reebok deal screwed over so many low/mid tier fighters it was disgusting!...that took a LOT of sponsorship money away from a lotta people <_<

I remember the days when Ken Shamrock,Josh Barnett,Dan Severn,Tank Abbot,ect. joined into pro "wrasslin"...but that was a different time and it still did very little for the UFC,it moreso than anything made pro wrestling more "legit"

Don't get me wrong,i see your point that it will be a big ppv but it won't help the smaller fighters on the card...they will be put on free tv for the prelims...

One thing is Lesnar is a very real threat,he has a very legit college wrestling background as an NCAA champion,a freak athlete,and is massive...but being on a 2 year roid suspension,1 fight in almost 5 years,worthy contenders,theatrics,ect...i just can't find good coming outta all of this...

It's closing in on time for a fighters union! ;)

• Like 5

On 7/10/2018 at 12:57 AM, CrimsonKing said:

look at the CM Punk fiasco,dude had absolutely ZERO credentials to be fighting

I imagine this drives actual fighters up the wall. 

UFC definitely been moving in the entertainment direction for a while. Before you know it ATT will have a promo coach. Sad thing is I've been kidding about that for years but I bet that's not too far away. Also it seems like they want to prop up certain fighters so they have a face they want *cough Sage Northcutt *cough. 

I think part of the problem is people actually don't want high level MMA. I roll my eyes when folks rip on the ground game or how fights are boring. Everyone just wants to see the slugfest. I get it, I love watching that too, but that's like watching a football game expecting every play to be a hail mary. Just not realistic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2018 at 11:22 PM, internetperson said:

I imagine this drives actual fighters up the wall. 

UFC definitely been moving in the entertainment direction for a while. Before you know it ATT will have a promo coach. Sad thing is I've been kidding about that for years but I bet that's not too far away. Also it seems like they want to prop up certain fighters so they have a face they want *cough Sage Northcutt *cough. 

I think part of the problem is people actually don't want high level MMA. I roll my eyes when folks rip on the ground game or how fights are boring. Everyone just wants to see the slugfest. I get it, I love watching that too, but that's like watching a football game expecting every play to be a hail mary. Just not realistic. 

Yes sir it does!

The bad thing about it is the UFC is doing it for a 1 night profit generator,with a company (WWE) That is going through a horrendous downfall in viewership in their own right...this won't gain them long term fans/viewers!

I read how the WWE is already building this up for their own gain :wacko:

I did find it funny when Dana wouldn't even let the guy who beat Punk fight in the UFC anymore lol

I enjoy technical fights,standing or on the ground!...one thing i could never stand is how the crowd pops for and how the judges score takedowns in the UFC,even if the guy pops right back up!grrrrrr

Smaller cards and shows usually only make a takedown a big scorer if one follows up with damage done or sub attempts afterward.