Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

The Caspian Hare

14 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Islamic hadith says Adam was 90 foot tall.

Islam didn't exist in 1250 BC.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Islam didn't exist in 1250 BC.

They say it did and Adam was the first Muslim, don't tell me, tell them i'm only the messenger.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 12:05 AM, DieChecker said:

I did a quick search, but didn't see that it had been opened yet.

You teasing us?? :P

The Express UK is the only article I can find that it was opened. Of course, the article is blocked.

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/world/988872/egypt-tomb-sarcophagus-Alexander-the-Great-Giza-Plateau

Found this in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/13/world/middleeast/egypt-black-sarcophagus.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

They say it did and Adam was the first Muslim, don't tell me, tell them i'm only the messenger.

i thought Mohammad was the messenger? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Mohammed was in it for the profit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

As long as Iggy is the passenger, we are on the safe side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The thing's hollow — it goes on forever — and — oh my God! — it's full of stars!"

• Like 2

I had to laugh at this one being compared to Tom Cruise's The Mummy. Don't open anything that looks like it was buried to remain hidden for all time! I don't know if anyone has read The Pharaoh Key, but it is a timely release.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/07/egypt-will-open-giant-black-mystery-sarcophagus-despite-warnings/

• Like 1

A 66,000lb black granite box, very similar to the one located near Memphis, Egypt. Both boxes are unusually void of inscriptions, both are incredibly heavy (the Memphis box is over 100 tons,) which begs a multitude of typical questions surrounding ancient Egypt: how did they cut black granite so precisely with copper tools? How did they move 10's of thousands of pounds up and down hills and valleys? How did they transport the materials needed to build these massive boxes from so far away? What exactly IS the purpose of these over sized boxes, given they are so different than the coffins we have uncovered?

The lack of obvious names or details on these mysterious giant boxes is what intrigues me the most. It reminds me of the "King's chamber" in the Great Pyramid...eerily bare compared to so many other (confirmed) tombs. Anyways, watch the video above if you have time. This guys raises some great questions and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

A 66,000lb black granite box, very similar to the one located near Memphis, Egypt. Both boxes are unusually void of inscriptions, both are incredibly heavy (the Memphis box is over 100 tons,) which begs a multitude of typical questions surrounding ancient Egypt: how did they cut black granite so precisely with copper tools? How did they move 10's of thousands of pounds up and down hills and valleys? How did they transport the materials needed to build these massive boxes from so far away? What exactly IS the purpose of these over sized boxes, given they are so different than the coffins we have uncovered?

The lack of obvious names or details on these mysterious giant boxes is what intrigues me the most. It reminds me of the "King's chamber" in the Great Pyramid...eerily bare compared to so many other (confirmed) tombs. Anyways, watch the video above if you have time. This guys raises some great questions and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Edit to add--

This is purely my own speculation but it seems like these boxes, the one in the king's chamber included, were meant to contain something dangerous. Maybe something that brought disease to the Egyptians or something radioactive? A meteorite? Look at the thickness of the box in the video thumbnails above: those boxes are WAY thicker than needed to simply to hold a corpse. The Egyptians don't strike me as a people that like wasting resources just for fun so these boxes must have had an important purpose. The sheer man hours put in to crafting them let alone transporting them assumes a high level of importance. There are no markings to tell us the story of a King or nobleman inside, no hieroglyphs to make a public statement for those that look at it...nothing at all to indicate to the public what's inside. To me, that means the purpose of these giant, multi-ton boxes was known internally to the Egyptians and wasn't something worth proclaiming to the public through ornate gold decorations. I think they served a practical purpose and they served that purpose away from the public, hence there was no need to write all over them. For example, I wouldn't spend time and energy decorating my water heater since it sits in the dark and quietly does a job. On the other hand, I would decorate my living room with family heirlooms, etc. You get the point. 

The size of the boxes, the thickness of the boxes and the weight of the boxes are all way more than required to hold a corpse. I mean, are other sarcophagus' made to be larger than the body inside? They seem to fit the bodies they are intended for fairly snugly. There is nothing snug about these unusually hard, blank boxes in remote places. I guess we will find out tomorrow, Zahi Hawass willing..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Continuing my solo quest for answers:

You can watch this on mute, if you prefer. It's footage from a guided tour of the Memphis black granite box. Apparently there ARE inscriptions on this box but as they point out in the video, the inscriptions are crude compared to the masterful construction of the box. Some of the inscriptions have wobbly lines, they were obviously done with a chisel...as the tour guide(?) points out, they are clearly done by technologically inferior workers to the ones who built the actual box. What does this mean?

I think the boxes (and their chambers,) were possibly discovered by the Egyptians who then used some of them as tombs. To find one undisturbed by grave robbers is incredible: this one box could solve the mystery of all the others once and for all. Again, Zahi Hawass willing. We will know tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

To find one undisturbed by grave robbers is incredible:

Maybe the grave robbers knew what was inside and that's why they were left untouched. Like you hint at earlier, something ominous could be a good reason it was not messed with perhaps?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Maybe the grave robbers knew what was inside and that's why they were left untouched. Like you hint at earlier, something ominous could be a good reason it was not messed with perhaps?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If it was meant to contain something ominous, there must have been a lot of the hazardous material because there are more than 20 of these boxes out there. That's a lot of...stuff. This latest find is still sealed with mortar which makes it just an incredible discovery.

I think the guy in the first video I posted is right - they should open it live on air or at least live on YouTube. For free. The world deserves to be a part of this instead of only getting the details second hand from corrupt, Government sponsored celebrity archaeologists.

• Like 4

Three soldiers who were not mummified and sewerage water? Why sewerage water? This sarcophagus has been sealed for more than 2,000 years. Can't wait for the analysis. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, susieice said:

Three soldiers who were not mummified and sewerage water? Why sewerage water? This sarcophagus has been sealed for more than 2,000 years. Can't wait for the analysis. 

Maybe that is what remains after bodies have been hermetically sealed in a sarcophagus for 2000 years?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michelle said:
53 minutes ago, susieice said:

Why would the Egyptians stuff three bodies in one incredibly expensive box? No jewelry, nothing to indicate royalty...that "sewage water" looks like liquefied human. I would guess that three people were stuffed in there, possibly alive, and over time nature turned them in to soup. The box has not been opened in over 2000 years old - is it possible to keep liquid from evaporating for so long if everything was air tight? An analysis of the "sewage" will tell us a lot....

1532024520641.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Note the top skull has a giant hole at the back and the skull at the bottom has a small hole, almost looks like it's been drilled...
Surgery? Murder?

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Why would the Egyptians stuff three bodies in one incredibly expensive box? No jewelry, nothing to indicate royalty...that "sewage water" looks like liquefied human. I would guess that three people were stuffed in there, possibly alive, and over time nature turned them in to soup. The box has not been opened in over 2000 years old - is it possible to keep liquid from evaporating for so long if everything was air tight? An analysis of the "sewage" will tell us a lot....

Note the top skull has a giant hole at the back and the skull at the bottom has a small hole, almost looks like it's been drilled...
Surgery? Murder?

Good observation. Reminds me of the incan practice, didn't they drill holes in the back of the head for medical purposes?   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Surgery? Murder?

Interesting observation Dark_Grey! It just seems really weird that these would be soldiers who would be buried together in a big black box without a mummification process at all. No hope of an afterlife. Not very dignified for someone of some social standing. I wonder what they did. It remained undisturbed for thousands of years. Not even grave robbers, which is very rare. Could it have been a sickness? And why would they make this huge granite sarcophagus to put them in and isolate it? Seems that would take time that couldn't be wasted if these people were sick and had to be isolated in some way to prevent the spread of disease. Sounds like it could be more like a ritual murder to me. A punishment of some sort? We need kmt. I found this about how Egyptians dealt out punishment. Maybe these guys were deserters or plotted against the Pharaoh. This is just an unusual burial. I don't believe it's cursed although they may have been at the time of burial.

http://www.ancientfacts.net/how-ancient-egyptians-punished-their-criminals/

It would be possible nothing evaporated because the seal was tight and never disturbed to open a hole in the seam. I can't wait for the analysis and I hope there is a translation released of what those hieroglyphics say.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

Interesting observation Dark_Grey! It just seems really weird that these would be soldiers who would be buried together in a big black box without a mummification process at all. No hope of an afterlife. Not very dignified for someone of some social standing. I wonder what they did. It remained undisturbed for thousands of years. Not even grave robbers, which is very rare. Could it have been a sickness? And why would they make this huge granite sarcophagus to put them in and isolate it? Seems that would take time that couldn't be wasted if these people were sick and had to be isolated in some way to prevent the spread of disease. Sounds like it could be more like a ritual murder to me. A punishment of some sort? We need kmt. I found this about how Egyptians dealt out punishment. Maybe these guys were deserters or plotted against the Pharaoh. This is just an unusual burial. I don't believe it's cursed although they may have been at the time of burial.

It would be possible nothing evaporated because the seal was tight and never disturbed to open a hole in the seam. I can't wait for the analysis and I hope there is a translation released of what those hieroglyphics say.

We do need some experts to chime in. So many questions now that the box has been opened. Were all other 20+ granite boxes used like this one? Is this an isolated incident? The sheer weight of that lid means whatever is put inside the box is meant to stay there. How many pulleys and ropes would it take just to hoist that sucker in to place?

• Thanks 1

Found this also. Soldiers would have been given a dignified burial, sick or not. I was only joking about Imhotep :ph34r:

http://www.experience-ancient-egypt.com/ancient-egyptian-culture/ancient-egyptian-jobs/ancient-egyptian-soldiers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, susieice said:

My current guess is that these guys got caught doing something extremely bad.   They killed them and put them in this box to make an example of them.   Never being able to escape even after they died.   Kind of a shield to stop them from reaching an after-life. 

Just a guess though. 

• Like 1

I was looking for descriptions of law and punishment in Ancient Egypt and came up with a 56 page PDF if anyone wants to read it. It is divided into three sections: Pharaonic, Ptolemic and Roman. It seems the Ptolemies followed pretty much the same law, but only on Egyptian citizens. Greeks were treated under a different code of law. Impalement and drowning were two forms of capital punishment. Also cudgeling. Could explain the injuries to the skulls.

The two most serious that I could figure were a crime against the Pharaoh, including treason, or a crime against the gods, like robbing a temple. All Egyptian law was bound to the Goddess Ma'at. This type of a burial does seem to be more in the line of a punishment. I do hope they release the analysis of the "sewerage" and I would love to know what those hieroglyphics say. 

Here's the PDF:

https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/30196/Law and Order in Ancient Egypt.pdf?sequence=1

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

My current guess is that these guys got caught doing something extremely bad.   They killed them and put them in this box to make an example of them.   Never being able to escape even after they died.   Kind of a shield to stop them from reaching an after-life. 

Just a guess though. 

Religion can be just as strong a motivator as fear. I suppose they go hand in hand, in a way. I think you have a good theory going that would explain the very thick dimensions of the boxes. It may also explain the apparant damages to the skulls; these 3 souls could have been corrupt Politicians, or war criminals or who knows what. They probably didn't enjoy their last fews days on Earth by the looks of it...

• Like 2