Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

The Caspian Hare

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Why not? There is a picture that shows a broken pipe in the pit out there, and remember, Egypt's sewerage system is not exactly renowned. It's not just sewerage though, it's rotten bindings and probably remains.

Mmmm..all that raw sewage and liquefied human remains poured on to the street...delicious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

They have learned:
"The skeletons belong to a woman who was in her mid 20s, a man who was in his late 30s and a second man who was in his early 40s.

Of particular interest was the discovery of a circular hole in one of the skulls which experts believe is evidence of trepanning - an ancient surgical procedure used to relieve pressure on the brain.

The disgusting liquid they were found in was determined to be a combination of sewage that had leaked in to the coffin and the decomposing remains of the wrappings the bodies were buried in."

Why not? There is a picture that shows a broken pipe in the pit out there, and remember, Egypt's sewerage system is not exactly renowned. It's not just sewerage though, it's rotten bindings and probably remains.

1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

Mmmm..all that raw sewage and liquefied human remains poured on to the street...delicious

I still don't understand why there was no smell until they opened the sarcophagus. If there was an opening for sewage to get in, there was an opening for air to get out. The soil around it would have smelled also. They wore masks after it was opened, the odor was so bad, but not to go down to open it. They should have been able to smell it before they found it. 

I was thinking the same thing Dark_Grey. If they poured that stuff down the middle of my street, I'd be furious. It must have really stunk to the high heavens! Not a real bright idea!

Here's a link to what seanjo was referring to regarding the mummies. It was released 2 days ago. The circular hole was healed and indicates the man survived for a long time after (surgery ?). It's not what killed him. 

Why no amulets if they were mummified. I would think they'd find some. Egyptians wrapped them into mummy linens. Even the Ptolemy's. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/black-granite-sarcophagus-skeletons-age-and-sex-determined

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, susieice said:

I still don't understand why there was no smell until they opened the sarcophagus. If there was an opening for sewage to get in, there was an opening for air to get out. The soil around it would have smelled also. They wore masks after it was opened, the odor was so bad, but not to go down to open it. They should have been able to smell it before they found it. 

I'm guessing that it is a pipe that is no longer active.   If some would have been in the sarcophagus, it could stay there for years.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, susieice said:

Here's a link to what seanjo was referring to regarding the mummies. It was released 2 days ago. The circular hole was healed and indicates the man survived for a long time after (surgery ?). It's not what killed him. 

That clears things up, in a way.     My guess is still that these 3 were found doing something thought of as horrible and were buried in a way to stop them from going anywhere.   It wouldn't have made sense if just one of them was killed with a hole in the head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, susieice said:

I was thinking the same thing Dark_Grey. If they poured that stuff down the middle of my street, I'd be furious. It must have really stunk to the high heavens! Not a real bright idea!

If there was no smell, the sarcophagus was air tight. If it was air tight, there could not be sewage inside. Something still doesn't add up here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Have you ever done a time capsule? I did with my sisters as a kid, we got some stuff together and put it in a tin box then wrapped it all up in many layers of plastic bags, all taped together, we were sure it would be safe, when we dug it up and opened it, it was full of dirt and water, the contents had become mulch. Liquid is insidious, it doesn't take a large gap for a liquid to ingress.

Maybe, but the initial dig pics showed only dry, compacted sand. This was before they had fully dug up the coffin so wet sand/soil around it would have been clearly visible. The only liquid we can see from all the pictures taken is inside the coffin.

• Like 1

This still leaves a lot of questions. Maybe they did have amulets but they were made of wood, and therefore rotted. I'm guessing these people aren't embalmed, which is pretty unusual for that time period. I'm also thinking it's likely that they repurposed that sarcophogus from somewhere else. I have to wonder how many instances you see of multiple people buried in one sarcophogus. Another question I have is... If that broken pipe is a sewage line... How did no one discover this before? I seem to remember them saying that it was in an open cavity.

• Like 1

My guess is, runoff water leaked in, and couldn't escape. I don't think it was sewage...I think it was mummy stew. Ick. Outside the sarcophagus, it could drain and/or evaporate. Also, gold amulets have been found.

https://twitter.com/luxortimes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Have you ever done a time capsule? I did with my sisters as a kid, we got some stuff together and put it in a tin box then wrapped it all up in many layers of plastic bags, all taped together, we were sure it would be safe, when we dug it up and opened it, it was full of dirt and water, the contents had become mulch. Liquid is insidious, it doesn't take a large gap for a liquid to ingress.

Smell is just small particles moving with the air if there is no air movement you can't smell.

Wouldn't the dirt around it have smelled also?

10 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

My guess is, runoff water leaked in, and couldn't escape. I don't think it was sewage...I think it was mummy stew. Ick. Outside the sarcophagus, it could drain and/or evaporate. Also, gold amulets have been found.

https://twitter.com/luxortimes

Links I found said there were no amulets found.

https://www.************/tech/6819115/sarcophagus-egypt-opened-mummy-curse/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6075691/Egypt-reveals-details-skeletons-inside-sarcophagus.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/black-sarcophagus-egypt-archaeologists-age-mummies-alexandira-waziri-sultan-a8499696.html

Edited by susieice

Edited by justin3651
Already covered

12 hours ago, seanjo said:

Two pics, one shows a pipe, the other shows what could be a sewer.

the-black-sacrophagus-pic-egypt-ministry-of-antiquities_895854.jpg

sarcophagus.jpg

Thinking about these pictures. If that's a sewer and some type of pipe, look how close they came to this sarcophagus when they installed them. They would have needed to dig that area out well. Weren't there things found outside, like a marble bust. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

This is interesting. The hole drilled in the skull of the male showed signs of having healed long before death. Since it was rarely done in Egypt, could that indicate travel or wealth? This is the first I've heard of the engravings. Interesting indeed!

8 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'm wondering if the second picture is a Roman Sewer.

If it was Roman, it would have been installed after the Ptolemy's. The sarcophagus is believe to have been buried between 304 BC to 30 BC, when Cleopatra died. Rome attained Egypt on her death.

8 hours ago, seanjo said:

Whose to say it didn't, or doesn't? Maybe that's why they never got a whiff until they opened it, because of the pervading smell.

No masks until after the sarcophagus was opened. There was no mention of an odor until then although it was uncovered 2 weeks before it was opened.

9 hours ago, seanjo said:

What you saw was a pit that has dried out in the Egyptian Sun.

Egypt has seasons.

I see your points seanjo, but the pit wasn't opened that long and deep enough to be out of direct sunlight. Just still have questions about the sewage.