Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

The Caspian Hare

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/giant-black-sarcophagus-discovered-alexandria-egypt-180969551/

A black granite sarcophagus was recently uncovered in the Sidi Gaber district of Alexandria, Egypt, reports Rob Waugh at Yahoo News UK. The most exciting part? A layer of mortar between the lid and the rest of the tomb indicates that the coffin hasn’t been opened in 2,000 years, which is rare in Egypt where looters have picked through tombs and burials for millennia.

The ancient sarcophagus was found by local authorities during standard archaeological excavations conducted before the construction of a new building on Al-Karmili Street. It was found approximately 16 feet below ground. A rough alabaster bust of a man, likely a depiction of the body in the coffin, was also discovered in the tomb, which is believed to date from the era of the Ptolemies, the Greek royal family dynasty that ruled for roughly three centuries from 305 to 30 B.C.E.

According to the Ministry of Antiquities, the tomb is about 8.6 feet long and more than 5 feet wide. Mostafa Waziri, general secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, says it is the largest sarcophagus ever excavated in the city.

• Like 7

8.6 foot long sarcophagus is massive. 

• Like 1

Is the paperwork and permits extremely cumbersome or can we expect this to be opened soon. 

• Like 1

*Awaits the 'giant' theories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I don't understand the link to Alexander the great, if it's 2000 years old it is centuries after Alexander, in fact, it is Roman, Rome had conquered Egypt by then.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing

• Like 2

If there is a giant inside that coffin, I'm becoming a tin-foil hat conspiracy nut over night. Bigfoot, UFO's, all of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well...let's open the thing and see what's inside..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cathya said:

Well...let's open the thing and see what's inside..

To reveal an angry 8' tall animated mummy, with superhuman strength and armored skin ? 

You first :D 

• Like 2

Well if there is a giant in the sarcophagus you'll never hear another word about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Usually like a Russian doll thing goes on inside. So there'll be a coffin, then the body covered in stuff. Shouldn't think it will be an abnormally large person, But fascinated to know who it is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John Allanson said:

Usually like a Russian doll thing goes on inside. So there'll be a coffin, then the body covered in stuff. Shouldn't think it will be an abnormally large person, But fascinated to know who it is.

I wonder if the tomb of a "Shasu" the Egyptian equivalent of a giant race from the land of Canaan. They were described as being 4-5 cubits or 6'10" to 8'7". The Bible isn't the only text that describes large men in Canaan. The Craft of the Scribe(c. 1250 BC

• Like 2

The Nephilim. (Giants of the Christian Bible) Let's see!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

I wonder if the tomb of a "Shasu" the Egyptian equivalent of a giant race from the land of Canaan. They were described as being 4-5 cubits or 6'10" to 8'7". The Bible isn't the only text that describes large men in Canaan. The Craft of the Scribe(c. 1250 BC

Evolution for humans isn't much different than in other animals. There were many "spin offs" along the way, some of which didn't die out until relatively recently. I don't think it's that hard to believe there could have been a pocket of some kind of hominid "Giants" still living at that time. Or maybe a culture of taller humans like we find in the Icelandic nations. Back when people averaged 5'5" in height, even being 6'2" would make you "Goliath" when most people had never seen another human that size.

• Like 2

There is only a piece of papyros in it with the number 42 written on it.

:yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, John Allanson said:

Normally.... Normally there's not a 9 by 5 by 6 coffin. Nothing normal about this.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, RoofGardener said:

To reveal an angry 8' tall animated mummy, with superhuman strength and armored skin ? 

You first :D 

51b7a259713a51561c47cf52f098043f--the-py

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It's been opened. Normal sized dude.

No giants here. 

I did a quick search, but didn't see that it had been opened yet.

You teasing us?? :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I did a quick search, but didn't see that it had been opened yet.

You teasing us?? :P

I dunno. I just googled it and an article popped up, by now I cant find it.

Either way, it's not giants.

• Like 2

the article doesn't mention who the occupant of the coffin might be...strange that such an elaborate sarcophagus would hold no clues as to the owner. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

...strange that such an elaborate sarcophagus would hold no clues as to the owner. 

Maybe it is the same kind of person who today buys a luxury car with the brand and model name removed from the rear of the car, i.e. anonymous luxury.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Islamic hadith says Adam was 90 foot tall.

• Like 1