Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

188 posts in this topic

Seti42

My guess is, runoff water leaked in, and couldn't escape. I don't think it was sewage...I think it was mummy stew. Ick. Outside the sarcophagus, it could drain and/or evaporate. Also, gold amulets have been found.

https://twitter.com/luxortimes

• Like 1

susieice
2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Have you ever done a time capsule? I did with my sisters as a kid, we got some stuff together and put it in a tin box then wrapped it all up in many layers of plastic bags, all taped together, we were sure it would be safe, when we dug it up and opened it, it was full of dirt and water, the contents had become mulch. Liquid is insidious, it doesn't take a large gap for a liquid to ingress.

Smell is just small particles moving with the air if there is no air movement you can't smell.

Wouldn't the dirt around it have smelled also?

susieice
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

My guess is, runoff water leaked in, and couldn't escape. I don't think it was sewage...I think it was mummy stew. Ick. Outside the sarcophagus, it could drain and/or evaporate. Also, gold amulets have been found.

https://twitter.com/luxortimes

Links I found said there were no amulets found.

https://www.************/tech/6819115/sarcophagus-egypt-opened-mummy-curse/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6075691/Egypt-reveals-details-skeletons-inside-sarcophagus.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/black-sarcophagus-egypt-archaeologists-age-mummies-alexandira-waziri-sultan-a8499696.html

Edited by susieice

justin3651
Posted (edited)

Edited by justin3651
Already covered

susieice
12 hours ago, seanjo said:

Two pics, one shows a pipe, the other shows what could be a sewer.

the-black-sacrophagus-pic-egypt-ministry-of-antiquities_895854.jpg

sarcophagus.jpg

Thinking about these pictures. If that's a sewer and some type of pipe, look how close they came to this sarcophagus when they installed them. They would have needed to dig that area out well. Weren't there things found outside, like a marble bust. Just a thought.

seanjo
14 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Maybe, but the initial dig pics showed only dry, compacted sand. This was before they had fully dug up the coffin so wet sand/soil around it would have been clearly visible. The only liquid we can see from all the pictures taken is inside the coffin.

What you saw was a pit that has dried out in the Egyptian Sun.

Egypt has seasons.

• Like 1

seanjo
13 hours ago, susieice said:

Wouldn't the dirt around it have smelled also?

Whose to say it didn't, or doesn't? Maybe that's why they never got a whiff until they opened it, because of the pervading smell.

• Like 1

seanjo
7 hours ago, susieice said:

Thinking about these pictures. If that's a sewer and some type of pipe, look how close they came to this sarcophagus when they installed them. They would have needed to dig that area out well. Weren't there things found outside, like a marble bust. Just a thought.

I'm wondering if the second picture is a Roman Sewer.

• Like 1

susieice
1 hour ago, Swede said:

This is interesting. The hole drilled in the skull of the male showed signs of having healed long before death. Since it was rarely done in Egypt, could that indicate travel or wealth? This is the first I've heard of the engravings. Interesting indeed!

susieice
8 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'm wondering if the second picture is a Roman Sewer.

If it was Roman, it would have been installed after the Ptolemy's. The sarcophagus is believe to have been buried between 304 BC to 30 BC, when Cleopatra died. Rome attained Egypt on her death.

susieice
8 hours ago, seanjo said:

Whose to say it didn't, or doesn't? Maybe that's why they never got a whiff until they opened it, because of the pervading smell.

No masks until after the sarcophagus was opened. There was no mention of an odor until then although it was uncovered 2 weeks before it was opened.

• Like 1

susieice
9 hours ago, seanjo said:

What you saw was a pit that has dried out in the Egyptian Sun.

Egypt has seasons.

I see your points seanjo, but the pit wasn't opened that long and deep enough to be out of direct sunlight. Just still have questions about the sewage.