Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Granite Sarcophagus Discovered in Egypt

The Caspian Hare

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

It's best to take this step by step so as to clearly think it over. A lot going on here! Good way to spend a rainy day!

Agreed...this is a great mystery. I have to say, there is a lot of distrust online for the Ministry of Antiquities. Many are claiming they could have easily taken out the body(s) inside the box, thrown some skeletal remains inside and snapped a few pictures for the press. People like you and I would be none the wiser...

I choose not to believe that because the thought alone is really disheartening

• Like 1

I bet after all that is said and done, and the test results are released, Truth may in fact, be stranger than fiction.

~

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Agreed...this is a great mystery. I have to say, there is a lot of distrust online for the Ministry of Antiquities. Many are claiming they could have easily taken out the body(s) inside the box, thrown some skeletal remains inside and snapped a few pictures for the press. People like you and I would be none the wiser...

I choose not to believe that because the thought alone is really disheartening

I don't think that's what happened because of the staining of the bones found. This was big news and I'm sure there were people standing around watching the opening. Someone would have seen them bringing in packages.  Also, because the skulls of all three were so cleanly separated. I really wonder about that!

I don't blame anyone for distrusting the Ministry of Antiquities. They have a bit of a shady history. But I don't think they planted these remains.

• Like 1

I will remain open to the idea that someone did something so bad that the whole family was punished. That was known to happen. I don't see anything that would make me think of a child, but I suppose a female could be a possibility.

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Where was the ground level when this was buried?

That's an unknown, but the site looks more like it's rock than just sand.

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Looks like compacted sand to me which is maybe why they would have to dig so deep, for good foundations. But I doubt the ground level there today is the same it was 2000 odd years ago, that's why we have to 'dig' ancient ruins.

Sand becomes very hard when exposed to constant sunlight and heat. Don't know right off hand what the average rainfall is in Alexandria but I wouldn't think it would be much. I also doubt the ground level now is the same as the ground level then. There just doesn't seem to be room to look around and see if anything else is there and at what level.

6 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Looks like compacted sand to me which is maybe why they would have to dig so deep, for good foundations. But I doubt the ground level there today is the same as it was 2000 odd years ago, that's why we have to 'dig' ancient ruins.

That would make sense. Literally "building a house on sand" requires special considerations

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Sand becomes sand stone.

Yes. The site looks pretty solid in spite of having been dug into. I see no signs of the rock crumbling. I guess the question would be, how much more sand covered the site in the last 2,000 yrs. ? I'm thinking maybe that could vary on how open the site was at the time of burial.

Edited by susieice

39 minutes ago, susieice said:

I will remain open to the idea that someone did something so bad that the whole family was punished. That was known to happen. I don't see anything that would make me think of a child, but I suppose a female could be a possibility.

The lack of clothing especially makes me think this was done out of spite. Combined with potential arrow wounds and a very elaborate burial procedure means this execution/burial was publicly known. If they were plague victims as some suggest, would clothing have been removed prior to burial? And if they were disease carriers, why only these 3 in such an expensive coffin? Surely they didn't bury every victim of disease in such an elaborate way. 

Nah, these 3 were locked away for eternity. Perhaps they were necromancers or practitioners of dark arts....maybe they were blamed for bringing a catastrophe they had nothing to do with. This could have been the result of a "witch hunt". Stripped naked, tortured, shot through the head and sealed in a giant stone coffin forever. Whatever they did, the people of their time did not appreciate it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Any clothing has probably rotted away in the gloop. They could have been fully wrapped mummies for all we know.

Do you think so? I suppose if it was organic material, there is no reason it couldn't have dissolved after thousands of years

3 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I'd like to know what the water table is around there, has water seeped in?

The authorities originally said that the "sewage" had seeped in through a crack on the right side of the coffin. Looking at the close ups of the excavation, it doesn't appear very wet down there.

1066519723.jpg the-black-sacrophagus-pic-egypt-ministry

God this thing is massive..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

The lack of clothing especially makes me think this was done out of spite. Combined with potential arrow wounds and a very elaborate burial procedure means this execution/burial was publicly known. If they were plague victims as some suggest, would clothing have been removed prior to burial? And if they were disease carriers, why only these 3 in such an expensive coffin? Surely they didn't bury every victim of disease in such an elaborate way. 

Nah, these 3 were locked away for eternity. Perhaps they were necromancers or practitioners of dark arts....maybe they were blamed for bringing a catastrophe they had nothing to do with. This could have been the result of a "witch hunt". Stripped naked, tortured, shot through the head and sealed in a giant stone coffin forever. Whatever they did, the people of their time did not appreciate it.

If this water was present for any length of time, it is possible that any cloth disintegrated over the years. But if these were mummies, stone and metal amulets would not. Egyptians put them in the wrappings of their mummies. This funeral was expensive, non-ceremonial and deep for sure!

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

The authorities originally said that the "sewage" had seeped in through a crack on the right side of the coffin. Looking at the close ups of the excavation, it doesn't appear very wet down there.

1066519723.jpg the-black-sacrophagus-pic-egypt-ministry

God this thing is massive..

No. The surroundings don't look wet at all.

21 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I think it would be less sand covering it and they wouldn't have had to dig so deep then.

Any clothing has probably rotted away in the gloop. They could have been fully wrapped mummies for all we know.

Yes. It doesn't seem as if wind blown sand would have as much of an impact here as it did in the Valley of the Kings. The Egyptians must have liked to dig since they went pretty deep there also.

2 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Protection from thieves.

But it still didn't work. People seem to have stayed away from this one.

Drink the festering liquid from the sarcophagus?  That can not be serious.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Aye, looks dry, but it is Summer and very hot there. Water/sewerage has come from somewhere though. Mind 2000 years is a long time and there must have been floods.

When did this leakage start and stop? Like I said before, if sewage could get in, why couldn't foul air get out by the same means?

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

When did this leakage start and stop? Like I said before, if sewage could get in, why couldn't foul air get out by the same means?

If it was able to leak in during a rainy/wet period, it should have been able to air out during a dry period. I mean, if the crack is big enough to let liquid in...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If it was able to leak in during a rainy/wet period, it should have been able to air out during a dry period. I mean, if the crack is big enough to let liquid in...

Over time I guess, but more water can accumulate faster than evaporation can occur.   An empty bucket with a cracked lid can sit in the rain for an hour and have an inch of water in it.   It can then sit for 2 months in the sun and will still have some water in it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Over time I guess, but more water can accumulate faster than evaporation can occur.   An empty bucket with a cracked lid can sit in the rain for an hour and have an inch of water in it.   It can then sit for 2 months in the sun and will still have some water in it. 

I meant the odor. If the liquid got in, why couldn't the smell get out? They should have been able to smell it before they cracked it open.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Hm. Point taken. The climate over there was so different thousands of years ago. Coupled with all the construction that's taken place over the years....there are a million things to consider here

• Like 2

2 shots of your 2000 year old "s**t water" please.

Let them drink it, I want to giggle at how ill their stupidity makes them.

Edited by Talion78
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

I say let them. Let's see who actually does it, lol.

Imagine if someone near the coffin just scooped some up in their hand and drank it then floated up and over the crowd like grandpa in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory lol suddenly 20 more people rush the coffin to get a sip :lol:

• Haha 1

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to drink that stinky slim. I'm surprised they weren't complaining about it being thrown out in the street. I wouldn't want whatever was in it laying around my neighborhood either. I realize it likely evaporated quickly, but what did it leave behind? I don't understand some people at all.

• Like 1