Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flesh Eating Virus Caught while Crabbing

Piney

Do I have to go to new jersey to get this or can I contract it through the comfort of my own home? 

Is there an amazon for deadly viruses and bacteria?

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Do I have to go to new jersey to get this or can I contract it through the comfort of my own home? 

In your case I would prefer the real limbs rather that prosthetic ones. You take care of yours. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Scary.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Piney said:

OMG Piney. My bff and I are heading to Wildwood/ Cape May in September. I'm gonna hear the theme from Jaws the whole time I'm down there. I don't go into the water anyway but...wow!

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, susieice said:

OMG Piney. My bff and I are heading to Wildwood/ Cape May in September. I'm gonna hear the theme from Jaws the whole time I'm down there. I don't go into the water anyway but...wow!

Wildwood.....the "Jersey Shore" trash just moved their trainwreck there. :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Wildwood.....the "Jersey Shore" trash just moved their trainwreck there. :blink:

I think we'll be off season. It may be Labor Day. Haven't gotten the dates yet. May end up at the Roar To The Shore again. Just decided to go down for three days because we haven't been there for a couple years. Looking forward to Cape May.

• Like 1

It's just been found in crabmeat from Venezuela. People in Maryland, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have been sickened. Also DC. Throw  out any fresh crab meat you may have bought if it came from Venezuela or you don't know where it came from.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vibrio-outbreak-linked-to-crab-meat-imported-from-venezuela/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=54347613

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

It's just been found in crabmeat from Venezuela. People in Maryland, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have been sickened. Also DC. Throw  out any fresh crab meat you may have bought if it came from Venezuela or you don't know where it came from.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vibrio-outbreak-linked-to-crab-meat-imported-from-venezuela/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=54347613

Maryland crabs suck so we have to import... I like the Alaskan meat it's cool didn't know any even came from venezuela.. prolly that cheap **** 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Nuke- said:

Maryland crabs suck so we have to import... I like the Alaskan meat it's cool didn't know any even came from venezuela.. prolly that cheap **** 

Best to be careful. Seems this bacteria is common along the Eastern Seaboard in the warmer months. I like King Crab from Alaska too!

• Like 1

Think I'll stick to our murky,cold,plastic, cotton bud and sanitary wear infested uk waters

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The man from NJ in the OP has now taken a turn for the worse. Amputation seems unavoidable. Since this link is from the Patch, people overseas may not be able to open it. Will look for another one.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceancity/south-jersey-man-flesh-eating-bacteria-takes-turn-worse?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=blasts&utm_content=national

• Sad 1

This link is dated July 12th before doctors made the decision to amputate. It seems the man was compromised due to his having Parkinson's.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-could-lose-limbs-after-contracting-flesh-eating-bacteria-new-jersey-waters/

• Sad 1

Sushi, anyone?

• Sad 2

I wouldn't be doing Oysters Rockefeller or Clams on a Half Shell either at the moment.

Not exactly on topic but do you see horseshoe crabs when you visit that area?  Nothing like them on the West Coast.  I just read up on horseshoe crab blue blood.  They have hemocyanin (copper based ) instead of hemoglobin (iron based) to carry oxygen.  It is uses in medicine to detect bacteria endotoxins in sterile medical equipment.   Their blood leucocytes coagulate around bacteria. Apparently living in bottom muck they need some strong bacteria protection.    As far as I know, it is only used for detection, not adapted to treatment.  And also, it has not been synthesized yet on a commercial level..  Anybody know more?  Wonder  if it could treat this type of infection? They are appealing in some kind of alien way.  Been around for 450 million years, got some staying power.

That sucks!