Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britain's new polar research ship launched

Still Waters

The newly assembled hull of the RRS Sir David Attenborough is now standing on the slipway of the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead, awaiting launch day.

Weather and tide permitting, she should slide into the River Mersey on Saturday.

The £200m vessel will replace the James Clark Ross and the Shackleton, which between them have almost 50 years' service in support of UK polar science.

The Attenborough is the ship the public had wanted to call "Boaty McBoatface" in an online poll, before ministers stepped in to choose a more appropriate name.

She represents the largest commercial ship built in Britain in three decades.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44780708

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"When 100 years ago this country sent people down to the South Pole, we were the pioneers in exploring the Antarctic," Sir David said.

"When we did so, I expect the reason we did was the South Pole seemed as far away as it could possibly get to be on this planet.

"Now, 100 years later, we realise that remote place is, in fact, key to the whole understanding of the planet. What goes on down there effects the whole of the earth in which we live."

Article and a couple of videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44828136

"The Attenborough will be equipped with all the latest scientific gear. It will have a helipad, cranes and onboard labs, and have the ability to deploy subs and other ocean survey and sampling kit. One of its key features is an enclosed "moon pool".

This is essentially a huge hole running right through the middle of the hull. It will allow instruments to be lowered into - and recovered from - the sea when weather or dense sea-ice conditions would normally make such work very difficult.

The ship design, put together by Rolls-Royce, also enables near-silent running when required, meaning scientists can study sea creatures without disturbing them."

• Like 1

Cool. Shipbuilding in Britain will increase even more once Britain becomes independent.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Britain's new polar research ship launched

It's great news for Merseyside and cammell Laird. The first ship to launch down the slipway and into the River mersey since the launch of HMS Unicorn in 1992. The going to the launches of ships and submarines at Cammell lairds was a school day out. 

The history the ship builder has, HMS Ark Royal (1935) &  Ark Royal (1950) HMS Prince of Wales. (1939) 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cammell_Laird

I hope they get the contract for the new type 31 frigates or the orders for the RFA solid support ships. 

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

On 10/07/2018 at 9:22 PM, Still Waters said:

The Attenborough is the ship the public had wanted to call "Boaty McBoatface" in an online poll, before ministers stepped in to choose a more appropriate name.

A bit like the 2016 Referendum on Brexit. The popular 'people's choice' speaks volumes for their ignorant social disaffection and their need to protest, however inappropriately.

Edited by Ozymandias

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

A bit like the 2016 Referendum on Brexit. The popular 'people's choice' speaks volumes for their ignorant social disaffection and their need to protest, however inappropriately.

And just like the recent abortion referendum in Ireland, of course.

• Haha 2

I am pleased that one of the submersibles (built in Southampton) that will accompany the ship carries the name "Boaty McBoat Face" because in retrospect what better way to honour Sir David Attenborough than to name a Polar Research Vessel after him?

3 hours ago, keithisco said:

I am pleased that one of the submersibles (built in Southampton) that will accompany the ship carries the name "Boaty McBoat Face" because in retrospect what better way to honour Sir David Attenborough than to name a Polar Research Vessel after him?

But that wasn't the will of the British people, was it? They wanted the vessel to be called Boaty MacBoatface until the elite, represented by the Minister for Science and the Universities, Jo Johnson, weighed in with a more reasonable and sensible name, viz. RRS Sir David Attenborough.

So much for British democracy and its electorate!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

But that wasn't the will of the British people, was it? They wanted the vessel to be called Boaty MacBoatface until the elite, represented by the Minister for Science and the Universities, Jo Johnson, weighed in with a more reasonable and sensible name, viz. RRS Sir David Attenborough.

The whole naming thing was a publicity stunt for heavens sake, run by a online poll. No wonder politics in Ireland is in such a state and voting twice is acceptable if the highly educated citizens such as yourself think an online poll is comparable to a official vote sanctioned by Parliament such as a referendum or general election. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, Still Waters said:

The newly assembled hull of the RRS Sir David Attenborough is now standing on the slipway of the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead, awaiting launch day.

Weather and tide permitting, she should slide into the River Mersey on Saturday.

The £200m vessel will replace the James Clark Ross and the Shackleton, which between them have almost 50 years' service in support of UK polar science.

She represents the largest commercial ship built in Britain in three decades.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44780708

How long would someone get for spray painting Boaty McBoatface on it?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Aaahh... that explains why you were never picked for your school debating team

1 hour ago, keithisco said:

Aaahh... that explains why you were never picked for your school debating team

Rather unfortunate of you to say that. I was captain of my debating team!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

You know, on an "anonymous forum" where the only veracity of what you claim is your own "word" then, the inability to address the basic tenets of a Thread suggest that you are engaging in ·"porky pies", "Whopper Telling" and my favourite excessive use of "terminological inexactitudes". To-whit, I do not believe you.:whistle:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

But that wasn't the will of the British people, was it? They wanted the vessel to be called Boaty MacBoatface

That wasn't the will of the British people - it was a joke name and an example of how ignorant people will vote for anything if it appears trendy to do so on social.  Of course, almost everyone in Britain were unaware of the vote.

Unless you are saying that if you can get a few thousand Irish people to vote on Eire rejoining the UK in a social media poll, it means that's the will of the Irish people? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Really!

• Haha 2