Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tourist takes WW2 artillery shell to airport

The Caspian Hare

https://www.dw.com/en/american-tourist-takes-unexploded-wwii-munition-to-vienna-airport/a-44611194

A 24-year-old American tourist caused panic at Vienna Airport when she put an unexploded World War II artillery shell in front of Austrian customs officials and asked whether the "souvenir" could be taken onboard her flight home.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I am continually amazed at how stupid some people are. :no:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I am continually amazed at how stupid some people are. :no:

This one should get the gold star of stupid. At campgrounds in Austria I would turn on my Yorkshire accent because American yuppie tourists were embarrassing.

* So where are you from?*   "Bronte Country. North Yorkshire." :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

This one should get the gold star of stupid. At campgrounds in Austria I would turn on my Yorkshire accent because American yuppie tourists were embarrassing.

* So where are you from?*   "Bronte Country. North Yorkshire." :whistle:

We all know you wouldn't try to get a tank shell back home. You would take the whole tank ! :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

We all know you wouldn't try to get a tank shell back home. You would take the whole tank ! :P 

Naw, my company issued G-3 was good enough. 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Naw, my company issued G-3 was good enough. 

Are you talking about the H&K G3 automatic rifle ?

Didn't know they used them in the US. It was the standard rifle in our armed forces for decades, now replaced by the C7/C8. I imagine a few probably remains in the homeguard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Are you talking about the H&K G3 automatic rifle ?

Didn't know they used them in the US. It was the standard rifle in our armed forces for decades, now replaced by the C7/C8. I imagine a few probably remains in the homeguard.

Wasn't allowed to bring it into to the States.  It was "company" issue.

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

Wasn't allowed to bring it into to the States.  It was "company" issue.

Its a bloody big piece of kit isn't it ? I haven't fired one though.

The thought of lugging one of those around makes me glad I drew the "Get out of the army free card". Back in my day (Early 90's) we had a system that was basically a lottery to decide if you had to be conscripted or not. They asked me if I wanted to join anyway but I politely declined. In theory we still have consciption, but in practice the army gets enough volunteers so they don't really need to call up conscipts anymore.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Its a bloody big piece of kit isn't it ? I haven't fired one though.

I'm just glad I never had to use it. A 7.62 makes a mess.

Among my people it's more honorable not to kill people. 

There comes a time in life when a grasp of reality could be a good thing. Her idiocy could have killed people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One time I forgot a full clip of .22 in my backpack going to Jamaica.. They removed my multi tool pliers in the same bag at the airport but never saw the loaded clip, insane. Found it while unpacking in Jamaica and dropped the bullets in the bin before going back, lol. Not fool enough to testing the system a second time ! It was 20 years ago tho...

Edited by Jon the frog

Maybe she was busy and just not thinking as in had a lot on her plate or too many pokers in the fires so to speak.  One time a bunch of us where done from riding and all piled ( piled NOT PLOWED!!!! in a VW Bus) and headed across the border for a bit of fun. 
Right before we leave the mountie or what4ever! called there asked what's that ? pointing at the muzzle of a 30-30 rolled in a sleeping-bag but the tip was showing out by the side window glass pointing straight at him.  A couple winks and no no its not loaded and we're just done riding through the forests you know.

And we were on our way.

Yes, a few years ago, not now with the mighty trumpeting wall supposedly being built.

Edited by MWoo7
TYPOS! to be human. . . . . added a t TO!!!!! the now word [ not]...EDIT #2 . . . correced piled ( piled NOT PLOWED!!!! in a VW Bus)