Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hidden cross reveals Christian-Muslim tension

The Caspian Hare

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Newly-discovered-Byzantine-era-cross-sheds-light-on-Muslim-Christian-ties-562247

A deliberately-concealed silver cross inlaid on the obverse of a Byzantine weight was discovered at Hippos (Sussita) in northern Israel during University of Haifa excavations at the site, the university announced Wednesday.

The brass weight weighs approximately 160 grams and archaeologists consider the find to be “groundbreaking evidence of the delicate relations between the Christian residents of the city and its new Muslim rulers,” beginning in the mid-seventh century CE.

“More or less by chance, we discovered a stain covering the cross on the obverse of the weight,” said Dr. Michael Eisenberg of the Zinman Institute of Archaeology at the University of Haifa, who is the head of the Hippos-Sussita excavations. “At first we were convinced that it was just dirt, but in fact the stain was made deliberately to conceal a cross, a Christian religious symbol used by the Christian population, so that they could continue to use the weight in their contacts with the new Muslim rulers. This is the first time that we have found a weight featuring this type of concealed element.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there's a lengthy history of how other religions, especially Judaism and Christianity, were treated in newly acquired Muslim lands.  Anyone who doubts its negativity need look no further than the M.E. and North Africa today.  Like they said in the movie HIGHLANDER... there can be only ONE!  :(

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, and then said:

Yes, there's a lengthy history of how other religions, especially Judaism and Christianity, were treated in newly acquired Muslim lands.  Anyone who doubts its negativity need look no further than the M.E. and North Africa today.  Like they said in the movie HIGHLANDER... there can be only ONE!  :(

...so I take it you know literally nothing about Christian/Jew/Muslim relations in al-Andalus in the Middle Ages. Imagine my surprise.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 6

Why, I don't get the abrahamic religions. Y'all worship one god and you can't get along. Pagans worship hundreds of gods, they can stand in big circle and hold hands as one people.  

Paganavebury.jpg?resize=300,237

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

...so I take it you know literally nothing about Christian/Jew/Muslim relations in al-Andalus in the Middle Ages. Imagine my surprise.

--Jaylemurph

That in what way disputes my statement?  I hear this kind of nonsense all the time and I'm not surprised to hear it here.  The great predominance of behavior with this religion in its early phase was NOT about coexistence at all - UNLESS you accepted it and decided to believe as they.  That there were periods of coexistence in no way disproves my statement.

39 minutes ago, and then said:

That in what way disputes my statement?  I hear this kind of nonsense all the time and I'm not surprised to hear it here.  The great predominance of behavior with this religion in its early phase was NOT about coexistence at all - UNLESS you accepted it and decided to believe as they.  That there were periods of coexistence in no way disproves my statement.

https://www.amazon.com/Arts-Intimacy-Christians-Muslims-Castilian/dp/0300106092/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531358508&sr=1-1&keywords=the+art+of+intimacy+spain

Actually, it does. Rhetorically, if you can prove your major thesis (I'm not really sure the specifics other than bigoted rabblerousing against Islam, so we're going to go with appropriately simple "Muslims are bad" coupled with following deduction "Muslims are bad to their neighbors") is wrong in part, it cannot be true as a whole. Islam literally has peaceful coexistence written in their Holy Text, the Quran.

By comparison, so does Christianity, but it's equally notorious for not just killing people opposed to it, but for killing members of its sect who don't agree with whatever made-up sectarian rules apply at any given date and place. I can't help but notice that you're not equally descrying Christianity from the eaves as evil and horrible.

Why, it's almost like people should be judged for the actions they take rather than making ignorantly uninformed blanket statements about entire religions.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

6 hours ago, and then said:

there can be only ONE!

.... And you wonder why there's a problem ...  It's actually ZERO.

Sadly, I doubt that we'll survive long enough to get to the point where religion is no longer a problem - but I can still hope that one day perhaps far in the future, all these false gods of the gaps will be relegated to the book of myths.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Why, it's almost like people should be judged for the actions they take rather than making ignorantly uninformed blanket statements about entire religions.

Considering the bloodbath that Europe delves into occasionally at the hands of Islamist FUNDAMENTALIST adherents, I'd say judging them by their actions is quite sufficient.  I get that you need the #not all Muslims disclaimer but no one else who knows me here or who actually reads my statements instead of editorializing based on parsing them, misunderstand my point.  Believe what you will and I will do the same.  Or does that not fit into your philosophy?  Either way, hound dog, this discussion between you and I is ovah...

9 hours ago, seanjo said:

You should check up on what you are defending.

http://www.faceofmalawi.com/2015/11/the-arabic-slave-trade-and-the-role-of-islam-in-african-slavery/

https://www.sikhnet.com/news/islamic-india-biggest-holocaust-world-history

Jews and Christians were allowed to live in the early Islamic caliphate and the Ottoman empire IF they paid a Dhimmi tax. If they didn't pay they risked being Murdered or enslaved. Islam is a murderous death cult that has no place in modern Western culture.

And let us get this straight here, Christianity has murdered people down the centuries, but it did it against the teachings of Christ and does not do it now, Islam STILL murders people in its own name AND it has teachings in the Quran that allow Muslims to carry out those murders.

Why you lefties defend a Patriarchal misogynistic murderous medieval religious ideal is beyond me...is it because you are racist and think that only Brown people can be Muslim? Is that the first picture in your head when someone says Islam or Muslim...a brown person?

If you're going to address the issues, you need to address the points made in the book.

My larger point is this: if you're not equally faulting Christians (where do you think all those African slaves were going to, anyway? Yep. The highly Christian USA, is where...), then you're being self-evidently hypocritical. Even after slavery was banned in the UK, there were still plenty of English slave-traders who acted as middle men.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 1:42 AM, and then said:

It's exactly the same today.