Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump in the UK

jerry1234

13 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

he may be a good source of entertainment, but that's what people thought about Boris.

as you might have noticed I've gone off Boris due to his irresponsible warmongering towards Russia -
and the Salisbury fiasco -

but Moggy has not incurred my displeasure up to this point.... 

7 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I know that was to Vlad - but how he comes across is not as important as what he does or doesn't do.

His voting record in the house is available here basically more for the better off less for the others.

I will see if that's enough to incur my displeasure... :) 

But really in these times of change with Brexit and all... our choices are very limited and politics are not
as normal at the moment...  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

To be quite honest I wonder if Ruth Davidson might not be a good choice. The Scottish Conservatives were the only branch of the Party that increased it vote at Ms. May's disastrous 2016 election, she seems to be reasonably sane and rational, and she's in a same-sex relationship, which would shake up the blustering old fogey element no end! ^_^

she's against Brexit though..... I remember her speaking against it on a discussion panel with Sadiq Khan and the Union Woman (forgot her name)

anyway......

aren't we supposed to be ranting and raving and pulling our hair out over Trump in this thread..... :D

9 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

How is making our own trade deals not 'taking back control'?

Seeing as we can only make them if we manage brexit the way Trump wants, sounds like we've just swapped answering to the EU for answering to the US. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Seriously though

Is he not a strict catholic - when was the last time a catholic held the position of PM, are there constitutional issues I have read yes and I have read no - so I am not clear.

Would the DUP support a party led by a catholic if that was needed.

before going back on topic.... just wanted to say..... no idea about the DUP question but I think Tony Blair could have been a secret Catholic -
his wife Cherie was Catholic and as soon as Blair wasn't PM he officially '''''joined'''' and became one..
I've got a feeling he could have kept it quiet in the build up to becoming PM and when he WAS PM... because it would have interfered
with his politics.... especially maybe his involvement in helping to bring Peace to Northern Ireland.. ?

• Like 1

Here I think we can see the Emperor's Art of the Deal at its finest; if there's someone with whom you want to do business (say, a small, subordinate satellite state), watch as its leader gets herself in more and more difficulties, then proclaim what a disaster she's made of it and if she persists with this disastrous policy then he, the Emperor, will No Longer be her Best Friend, and then say "Oh no,I didn't say that at all, that is Fake News, I am the Bestest Friend Ever of your plucky little nation [note to minions: check the name], and I will be your protector just as long as you do what I tell you and promise that you will forever by subordinate to Me." Some might call it bullying, but that would be grossly unfair. :unsure2: 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, bee said:

as soon as Blair wasn't PM he officially '''''joined'''' and became one..

I am aware of that - I remember something at the time about potential constitutional issues, but personally I think like a few other things: standing up to Bush, Repealing the Tory internal health market, hunting etc.,  he hadn't the political courage.

To bring it back to Trump - he would have handled Trump more successfully than May - but he wouldn't have stood up to him either.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Here I think we can see the Emperor's Art of the Deal at its finest; if there's someone with whom you want to do business (say, a small, subordinate satellite state), watch as its leader gets herself in more and more difficulties, then proclaim what a disaster she's made of it and if she persists with this disastrous policy then he, the Emperor, will No Longer be her Best Friend, and then say "Oh no,I didn't say that at all, that is Fake News, I am the Bestest Friend Ever of your plucky little nation [note to minions: check the name], and I will be your protector just as long as you do what I tell you and promise that you will forever by subordinate to Me." Some might call it bullying, but that would be grossly unfair. :unsure2: 

re the infamous Sun Interview....

They say they have a recording of the interview and Trump says HE has a recording - and there seems to be disagreement
on what was said or meant... ?

dunno

it all gets very tedious and too time consuming so it's easy to skim over the details of these  things...

11 hours ago, stevewinn said:

How many people wear Hugo Boss clothing? Makers of SS uniforms. How many people use products by Siemens? Profits made via slave labour. Who drives a VW car, profits came from supporting the nazi party. How many people use medication by Bayer all collaborated with the Nazi party.

Valid points of course but it is obvious that there is a limited sensitivity to the issue especially in the US, and backed by public laws there btw, to the issue itself. The use of the term fake news (Lügenpresse) by a political scaramouch "leader" seems to be common and accepted in the same fashion as its common and accepted over there that some people are making millions with books etc. about the "Holocaust Denial" and where the public display of nazi symbols isnt prohibited because of the freedom of expression, which reaches a final level of absurdity as also people who lost relatives in Ausschwitz and other places, or fled from the Nazis in the 30s/40s to the US, have to accept the display in their presence because of the "freedom of expression".

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bee said:

re the infamous Sun Interview.

The only thing Trump is challenging is that they didn't print all the nice things he said about May.

Additionally I am told by  a friend (yes I have 1) who was traveling by car yesterday that relevant sections of the Sun tape were played on the Radio yesterday.

His comment was along the line "does Trump not realise that journalists routinely tape everything when doing interviews". He then added a few adjectives that I'll not type.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Seriously though

Is he not a strict catholic - when was the last time a catholic held the position of PM, are there constitutional issues I have read yes and I have read no - so I am not clear.

Would the DUP support a party led by a catholic if that was needed.

I'm sure Corbyn wouldn't mind, after all, he was a big supporter of Gerry Adams and the late Martin McGuinness.

The law was changed so Catholics could take top Government jobs but whether a Catholic could be PM is still a grey area although Blair regularly went to mass but didn't fully convert till after he left office. 

Iain Duncan Smith when he ran for PM was a Catholic.

The Queen still retains the right to choose a PM but would she ever use that?

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So the problem in the Tory party is that it just isn't outdated, regressive and backward thinking enough?

Corbyn and his red cabinet are still living in the 70'S can't get more regressive than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Just listened to trump Live. The joint press conference with May, in short this mornings headlines Fake News. Apparently trump records every interview because of fakes news. The question you allude to was asked by a reporter and trump answered.

You've been had by fake news. 

That interview was entirely accurate and the White House has refused to release the recording for this exact reason.

It's just more of Trump saying he didn't say something that he absolutely did say days or even hours before.

_________

Scots hate Trump with a passion, but our hatred goes back to long before he became President.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Setton said:

Seeing as we can only make them if we manage brexit the way Trump wants, sounds like we've just swapped answering to the EU for answering to the US. 

You think Trump will stop us negotiating trade deals with other countries?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You think Trump will stop us negotiating trade deals with other countries?

Trying to think as our single biggest trading partner and closest ally the USA ever made it a condition that in order to trade with them we had to pay them £19bn a year. Have 70% of our laws written by them, American courts supreme over UK courts. Made handing over our fish grounds, including policy areas on agriculture, industry etc... A condition to trade with them. No. Thought not, and people call the EU our friend. With a friend like that who needs enemies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That interview was entirely accurate and the White House has refused to release the recording for this exact reason.

It's just more of Trump saying he didn't say something that he absolutely did say days or even hours before.

_________

Scots hate Trump with a passion, but our hatred goes back to long before he became President.

Scots hate Trump, I didn't know you was still conducting your own polls. How long did it take you to open and count all the replies you sent to every Scot to draw that conclusion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Scots hate Trump, I didn't know you was still conducting your own polls. How long did it take you to open and count all the replies you sent to every Scot to draw that conclusion. 

Trump and Scotland

There's history there. I'm surprised you don't know about it.

Oh, I'm sure there are a fair few racists working on building sites who admire the man, but he's largely despised in this country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Trying to think as our single biggest trading partner and closest ally the USA ever made it a condition that in order to trade with them we had to pay them £19bn a year. Have 70% of our laws written by them, American courts supreme over UK courts. Made handing over our fish grounds, including policy areas on agriculture, industry etc... A condition to trade with them. No. Thought not, and people call the EU our friend. With a friend like that who needs enemies. 

We had a say in the EU. 

That's the difference. 

20 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Trump and Scotland

Oh, I'm sure there are a fair few racists working on building sites who admire the man, but he's largely despised in this country.

I was aware of the golf course issue. Is that why he's hated by the nation. 

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

We had a say in the EU. 

That's the difference. 

What part of the Rome Treaty did we have a say in. 

7 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Corbyn and his red cabinet are still living in the 70'S can't get more regressive than that.

:sleepy: Oh right, tired old left-versus-right name calling is the way forward then? So how would this Rees-Mogg buffoon guarantee a Brexit that's satisfactory to all and which would reinforce Britain's position as a modern, progressive nation?  

55 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

:sleepy: Oh right, tired old left-versus-right name calling is the way forward then? So how would this Rees-Mogg buffoon guarantee a Brexit that's satisfactory to all and which would reinforce Britain's position as a modern, progressive nation?  

Rees Mogg would have us leave the EU. And we'd deal with the EU in the same manner Japan, Australia, China, India, Brazil, USA and the other 130 odd countries do. I think its 12 countries who have a FTA with the EU. They haven't been asked by the EU to handover what the EU is asking of the UK. The EU is going backwards, empire building is old hat, nothing modern or progressive in that. And as for Labour where have you been for all your adult life. You really want that shower of ****. A new Politics thanks to Brexit is on the horizon. Tory and Labour are finished. Politics of the new age. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Hard Brexit is the only way.

37 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Rees Mogg would have us leave the EU. And we'd deal with the EU in the same manner Japan, Australia, China, India, Brazil, USA and the other 130 odd countries do. I think its 12 countries who have a FTA with the EU. They haven't been asked by the EU to handover what the EU is asking of the UK. The EU is going backwards, empire building is old hat, nothing modern or progressive in that. And as for Labour where have you been for all your adult life. You really want that shower of ****. A new Politics thanks to Brexit is on the horizon. Tory and Labour are finished. Politics of the new age. 

Couldn't have put it better 

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

well if neither Tory nor Labour are prepared to honour the referendum result then half the voting public are going to
be looking elsewhere to place their votes in future... ...  

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Trump and Scotland

Just a question...

How diverse is Scotland?...reckon it ranks somewhere in the top 10 most diverse countries in the world?...top 25?...50?...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stevewinn said:

What part of the Rome Treaty did we have a say in. 

Well seeing as that was agreed before we joined, we had the choice of whether we joined under those conditions or didn't join. You don't get a say if you're not on the inside. 

Just like our future.