Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of the Basel papyrus solved

Still Waters

Since the 16th century, Basel has been home to a mysterious papyrus. With mirror writing on both sides, it has puzzled generations of researchers. A research team from the University of Basel has now discovered that it is an unknown medical document from late antiquity. The text was likely written by the famous Roman physician Galen.

The Basel papyrus collection comprises 65 papers in five languages, which were purchased by the university in 1900 for the purpose of teaching classical studies—with the exception of two papyri. These arrived in Basel back in the 16th century, and likely formed part of Basilius Amerbach's art collection.

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-mystery-basel-papyrus.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great article, I imagine that 2000 years ago those medical texts would have been invaluable . If you knew the secrets of life, good health and medicine you must have been very important , and maybe idolised ?
Not so long ago, the 1980's, I can remember my Grandmother telling me that her doctor was never wrong , anything he said she believed.
Now I not only question my doctor I also ask doctor google 

• Like 2

I always keep in mind, people 2000 years ago had short life spans. While much my be cleaned from it from it, but I doubt there are any miracle cures.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I always keep in mind, people 2000 years ago had short life spans. While much my be cleaned from it from it, but I doubt there are any miracle cures.  

Not actually true. Infant mortality was significantly higher then, and that tends to skew how most people understand the data. If you made it to five years old, your life expectancy was pretty close to what it is now:

https://www.livescience.com/10569-human-lifespans-constant-2-000-years.html

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Better get out the mustard and pepper as sneezing is the only effective cure for hysterical apnea as reported by the Roman vaginal times.