Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump Meets the Queen

Minimalists

12 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I think she does, but actually Trump did bow. Now the deep, long type of bow Obama tended to do, but it was considered a proper bow.

Thanks for that Michelle, I didn't see it.

Where we differ however is the entire "Royal" business is foreign to me, I will never understand it.

If I was to be of equal taunting like I read here every day against Americans I would say they are just <snipped for civility>. :)

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not saying that he did it intentionally but he shouldn't have been in front of her. Protocol as I understand it is as the POTUS, he is a nation's leader and can walk beside her. Melania, no. She must walk behind with Prince Phillip. I'm not sure about the Commonwealth countries as they view the Queen as a figurehead. Maybe Likely can answer that as Canada is part of the British Commonwealth. I'm not sure about the bow. I did not see that either ZZ.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

What did the Queen do to deserve a bow?

Oh that's right, she was born.

FLOTUS and POTUS don't bow to anyone.

With all due respect, she's old enough to be Donald's mother and Melania's grandmother.

Visiting heads of state are not required to bow or curtsy but by her age alone she deserves respect.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

With all due respect, she's old enough to be Donald's mother and Melania's grandmother.

Visiting heads of state are not required to bow or curtsy but by her age alone she deserves respect.

That works for me LG.

I respect age.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

I don't know if it was deliberate or not...And I am aware that the Royals do not get involved in politics...As far Trump goes does he even know what protocol is? Sorry but the pic just struck me the wrong way...

Everyone is instructed on protocol before meeting the Queen. It is standard procedure. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Everyone is instructed on protocol before meeting the Queen. It is standard procedure. 

Though the protocol is fairly loose. Engage when asked; a simple "Ma'am" will do.

Don't reach for her hand, she will extend it (and remember, it's not a power grab).

When and if you are invited to walk, walk beside or slightly behind if you're not conversing (that's just simple common sense manners).

I'll give Donald a 2 out of 3. It wasn't a disaster.

• Like 4

The more I look at the picture, the more I'm convinced Donald was just a bit overly impressed with the honor guard and wasn't thinking. They do put on a fine appearance. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, susieice said:

Not saying that he did it intentionally but he shouldn't have been in front of her. Protocol as I understand it is as the POTUS, he is a nation's leader and can walk beside her. Melania, no. She must walk behind with Prince Phillip. I'm not sure about the Commonwealth countries as they view the Queen as a figurehead. Maybe Likely can answer that as Canada is part of the British Commonwealth. I'm not sure about the bow. I did not see that either ZZ.

i also don't think he did it intentionally. its his nature to be at the forefront of everything. the problem with Trump is that he really only has one gear in his life and thats forward. Obama and others on the other hand have a few more. as politicians they would be really good at identifying different people and situations and thus meeting these challenges individually. Trump has again shown why he's not a politician. i wonder if he wins a second term if his self restraint and people skills evolve. 

6 hours ago, Kismit said:

True....But it depends on the definition of protocol..Ours and Trump's. Obviously his as its own definition. Anyway I digress...

13 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Does this President have respect for anyone he meets?

6c29e41efa0c93377b9c4bd459d004a1

Look at this..Just totally disrespecting the Queen by walking in front of her...Man I swear the gall of this guy escapes even me.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-uk-visit-president-shocks-181325179.html

And yet when Michelle Obama disrepected the Queen by placing her hand on her, and thus breaking royal protocol, it was all just treated as a bit of a laugh; just a bit of innocent fun.

article-1166490-043AFE8B000005DC-562_634

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kismit said:

The royals are not allowed to get involved in politics. They are kept out of it and they keep out of it. I should hope that Donald Trump showed courtesy and respect on that fact alone.

How can Mr Trump and Her Majesty meet for tea and a chat and not talk about politics?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Look at this..Just totally disrespecting the Queen by walking in front of her...Man I swear the gall of this guy escapes even me.

He must know it since he grew up in rich circles and was part of the New York high society and there are rules to certain events. Also as busienss man tehre are always ruels protocoll (I woprk in business). So it has to be intentional.

Edited by jerry1234

Just now, Black Monk said:

And yet when Michelle Obama disrepected the Queen by placing her hand on her, and thus breaking royal protocol, it was all just treated as a bit of a laugh; just a bit of innocent fun.

Don't know I did not see that...I have not paid much attention to the Royals until Prince Harry and Markle married.... 

9 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Don't know I did not see that...I have not paid much attention to the Royals until Prince Harry and Markle married.... 

Yeah. Best to ignore a breakage of royal protocal when it's a saintly Obama perpetrating it.

In 2011, Obama showed disrespect during a banquet with the Queen and other guests by speaking and making a toast to the Queen when God Save the Queen was being played. He suddenly stopped speaking and sat down when he noticed the Queen looking a bit bemused.

Let's face it, American presidents and their wives have a bit of history when it comes to breaking royal protocol when meeting the Queen - usually involving placing their hands on her. It's nothing new and unusual that Mr Trump is doing it. The only thing that is new and unusual is the sudden rise in outrage from people who normally wouldn't care about US presidents breaking British royal protocol, just because it's Mr Trump.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

Who the hell cares about Obama? As far as that goes who the hell cares about Trump? You seem to have an issue with the Obamas. If thats the case take it up with them.

6 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Who the hell cares about Obama? As far as that goes who the hell cares about Trump? You seem to have an issue with the Obamas. If thats the case take it up with them.

The point was media hypocrisy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

What did the Queen do to deserve a bow?

Oh that's right, she was born.

FLOTUS and POTUS don't bow to anyone.

Not even the Japanese? 

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Not even the Japanese? 

Only when overfeeding the fish.

9 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

That works for me LG.

I respect age.

That's a small list of people for you :ph34r::lol:

Just now, .ZZ. said:

Only when overfeeding the fish.

Refusing to bow to the Japanese is like refusing to shake a westerner's hand.

In some cultures it's just the norm. It doesn't imply servitude or anything.

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

That's a small list of people for you :ph34r::lol:

Touché

Trump looked incredibly uncomfortable to me....he's actually a very insecure person, that's why he overcompensates with his swaggering blowhardness. 

16 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

I like the use of the still image. But much prefer the video which shows "Trumps walking in front of the Queen" was more by accident than intent. The Queen gestured to Trump to walk and he did. 

It's funny how hate and the desire for hate can drive people into looking for something to criticise even when it doesn't exist.  

Because I'm not a hater, I can see Trump holds a straight line the Queen is the one who changes direction. No. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1