Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Latest hunt for Thylacine

Ozfactor

8 hours ago, oldrover said:

There were no thylacines released on the mainland. 

Good to know, if someone would have done it when they were identified like a pest... he would have been seen like a fool anyway.

1 hour ago, openozy said:

The locals weren't educated but they knew their animals,it wasn't a dog they were naming when asked.I'm familiar with the singing dog as have been a dog enthusiast since young.Looks nothing like a thylacine anyway.Can't see it derailing the thread when discussing sightings of the animal subject.

But how do you know it wasn’t a dog they were naming? 

To you it might make sense, so what’s the full story? Me looking in from the outside with no facts and very little detail, you must see how it seems much more likely a misidentification or language barrier/translation issue. 

What photo were they shown? Where was their tribe? What language did they speak? Did they also speak any English? What was the word they used? And how was it communicated that the word was for something other than a known species?

(Also, if you hit the ‘quote’ button immediately under my post, or use @Timothy, I’ll get a notification when you reply)

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

But how do you know it wasn’t a dog they were naming? 

To you it might make sense, so what’s the full story? Me looking in from the outside with no facts and very little detail, you must see how it seems much more likely a misidentification or language barrier/translation issue. 

What photo were they shown? Where was their tribe? What language did they speak? Did they also speak any English? What was the word they used? And how was it communicated that the word was for something other than a known species?

(Also, if you hit the ‘quote’ button immediately under my post, or use @Timothy, I’ll get a notification when you reply)

Its a long time ago but I remember my friend saying this,they were shown pics of dogs and other animals and picked this animal as different and named it (cant remember the name)I think they spoke pigeon English,but he spent years working with these people in some mining enterprise and seemed convinced.He was a serious person so I never doubted him on this.

5 hours ago, openozy said:

Its a long time ago but I remember my friend saying this,they were shown pics of dogs and other animals and picked this animal as different and named it (cant remember the name)I think they spoke pigeon English,but he spent years working with these people in some mining enterprise and seemed convinced.He was a serious person so I never doubted him on this.

Any chance he recorded the encounter and what they named it? 

Yes sometimes you have friends you don’t doubt, but that really just leaves a nice story. 

On 14/07/2018 at 8:56 AM, Stiff said:

Well, fingers crossed and all that but I'm not holding my breath.

Whats you're thoughts @oldrover

Thanks to a comment elsewhere I've just clicked where I've heard of this guy before. He did a programme about them a couple of years ago, and I can say that without any doubt this was the worst one I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure among the lowlights of which was passing of a photo dated to May 1930 (in fact one of the best kniwn tiger photis in history) as being from much, much later. Agonising to watch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldrover said:

Thanks to a comment elsewhere I've just clicked where I've heard of this guy before. He did a programme about them a couple of years ago, and I can say that without any doubt this was the worst one I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure among the lowlights of which was passing of a photo dated to May 1930 (in fact one of the best kniwn tiger photis in history) as being from much, much later. Agonising to watch. 

It doesn't sound promising then. I'll uncross my fingers and keep breathing :mellow:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was in Papua New Guinea in the early 70’s and am highly amused at the suggestion there would nave been difficulty in obtaining Thylacine pics back then.  I built up an extensive library of the unusual and mysterious and and think there wrre far more pics of most things cryptozoological back then than there are today on google images and the like. 

Regarding mainland Thylacine study. There is currently an investigation of forest areas on the far south coast of NSw following a number of recent sigtings reported in that vast wild region (bordering Victoria)