Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jailed double murderer runs for US Senate

Still Waters

A man serving a life sentence without parole after being convicted of two murders is running for a US Senate seat.

Leonard Richards, 75, was convicted of killing his half-sister May Wilson in 1982, and of shooting dead his lawyer, Robert Stratton, in 1987.

He is serving a life term in Stillwater prison in Minnesota, where the law allows felons to run for federal office but bars them from vying for state-level office.

The sister of Mr Stratton told the Star Tribune newspaper that the Minnesota secretary of state's office could not keep Richards off the ballot.

https://news.sky.com/story/minnesota-man-serving-life-for-two-murders-runs-for-us-senate-11437681

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Only in America........

• Like 5

I have no problem with this guy being allowed to run.

I have problems with people actually voting for him.

• Like 3

Well, Roy Moore only lost by like 2 points. 

He's gotta be looking at that and saying to himself that he might stand a chance. 

Especially, with all the friggin' pardons floating around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find it more and more ironic that, almost on a daily basis, I say to myself "can we, as a species, REALLY be this stupid", and life just seems to almost instantly give me an answer. Pathetic.

Nothing wrong with him running. He is too old and won't win ... I'd equate it to the first woman running for office. I am a convicted felon(temporarily) I was told I could run for a city council position but I couldn't actually vote for myself nor would I had won, so I didn't waste the time nor energy. I will say some of the most intelligent people are felons, also the most ignorant. But that's anywhere =)