Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camel Domestication in Old Kingdom Egypt

Lord Harry

Since dromedaries have been included sporadically in burials since the Archaic Period, it can be infered that the animal had some importance in Dynastic Egypt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, atalante said:

The article wouldn't open for some reason.  But yes, the use of dromedaries in Pharaonic Egypt was the exception rather than the rule.  There is no question that donkeys were far more commonly used as pack animals and beasts of burden during dynastic times than were dromedaries.  The use of dromedaries would have been limited to desert mining operations, and potentially long distance over land trade.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An interesting possibility, which I have yet to delve into deeply, is that the dromedary may have been an aspect of Seth considering its association with foreign lands (Arabia) and the deserts.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:38 PM, John Bastien said:

Mabe this can give context to Batrawi's findings? Meat from a defeated God for the dead king?

Perhaps. Though I was thinking more within the context of the king as Ra, and Seth as his defender in the solar bark who harpoons Apophis.

Edited by Lord Harry

19 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Perhaps. Though I was thinking more in the line of the king as Ra, and Seth as his defender in the solar bark who harpoons Apophis.

This is prior to the hard formation of the Osiris cult doctrine being fully formed?

Just now, John Bastien said:

This is prior to the hard formation of the Osiris cult doctrine being fully formed?

Yes. There is no evidence from Egyptian mythological or mortuary texts that Osiris was even conceived of until the Fifth Dynasty.

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

Yes. There is no evidence from Egyptian mythological or mortuary texts that Osiris was even conceived of until the Fifth Dynasty.

When they needed to bolster the royal myths?

yal mythos?

1 minute ago, John Bastien said:

When they needed to bolster the royal myths?

yal mythos?

The earliest mention of Osiris that I can recall is in the Pyramid Texts of Unas. Last king of the Fifth Dynasty.

I seem to remember another text from slightly earlier in the Fifth Dynasty which may make mention of Osiris. But I can't seem to remember the name of the text or its overall context.

47 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

The earliest mention of Osiris that I can recall is in the Pyramid Texts of Unas. Last king of the Fifth Dynasty.

I seem to remember another text from slightly earlier in the Fifth Dynasty which may make mention of Osiris. But I can't seem to remember the name of the text or its overall context.

The earliest attestation on record comes from the reign of Djedkare Isesi, just before Unas. Can't remember the specifics (stela, lintel, architrave, holiday card?) but I'm certain of the king.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

The earliest attestation on record comes from the reign of Djedkare Isesi, just before Unas. Can't remember the specifics (stela, lintel, architrave, holiday card?) but I'm certain of the king.

Maybe from the mastaba of one of his high officials? He was buried at Abusir if I'm not mistaken?