Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Amita

Noble Ethics as a Key to Happiness

30 posts in this topic

XenoFish

Every time I come across or hear about positive thinking. I can't help but be bias against it. I dealt with too many wishful thinkers in the occult who literal believed that "Thinking positive things" would bring effortless success. I blame that crap on The Secret. 

• Like 2

Hammerclaw
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

My besties son is a Positive Psychologist, I have had conversations with him and it is to soon to know the effectiveness of this style. 

I am like you it might be to unrealistic for me. :P

To be fair, I am keeping my eye on the movement. We shall see. 

Alan Watts the philosopher Is the "go to," usually-- at least here in Cali. 

Alan Watts--excellent pull! Pertaining to religion or philosophy, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just take only what you need and leave the rest. There's no point in trying to make something work for you that, simply, doesn't. Don't be a convert to a religion or philosophy, convert what you take away from it to serve your own needs. Don't follow in someone else's footsteps--make your own. Be it's master not it's servant.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sherapy
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Alan Watts--excellent pull! Pertaining to religion or philosophy, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just take only what you need and leave the rest. There's no point in trying to make something work for you that, simply, doesn't. Don't be a convert to a religion or philosophy, convert what you take away from it to serve your own needs. Don't follow in someone else's footsteps--make your own. Be it's master not it's servant.

Exactly, these are my sentiments exactly, I take what I want, try it out, if it works great, if it doesn't I let it go. 

I don't dogmatize, I personalize. Lol 

The best two words as a conversation starter for building bridges are "for me".

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Walker
On 17/07/2018 at 1:48 AM, XenoFish said:

serotonin-and-dopamine-300x178.gif

They come in many shapes and forms.

Happiness is a state of mind and intellect, not a chemically induced state of body,  We can simply choose happiness by learning what neural patterns create it,  and then learning how to shape those patterns of energy discharge in our brain. 

Mr Walker
On 17/07/2018 at 3:03 AM, Amita said:

Here is Buddha outlining the stages of ethical progress leading to Liberation - Bhikkhu Bodhi translationi:

aṅguttara nikāya

the book of the tens

1. What Purpose?

Thus have i heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Park. Then the Venerable Ānanda approached the Blessed One, paid homage to him, sat down to one side, and said to him:

(1) “Bhante, what is the purpose and benefit of wholesome virtuous behavior?”

(2) “Ānanda, the purpose and benefit of wholesome virtuous behavior is non-regret.”

(3) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of non-regret?”

“The purpose and benefit of non-regret is joy.”

(4) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of joy?”

“The purpose and benefit of joy is rapture.”

(5) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of rapture?”

“The purpose and benefit of rapture is tranquility.”

(6) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of tranquility?”

“The purpose and benefit of tranquility is pleasure.”

(7) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of pleasure?”

“The purpose and benefit of pleasure is concentration.”

(8) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of concentration?”

“The purpose and benefit of concentration is the knowledge and vision of things as they really are.”

(9) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of the knowledge and vision of things as they really are?”

“The purpose and benefit of the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is disenchantment and dispassion.”

(10) “And what, Bhante, is the purpose and benefit of disenchantment and dispassion?”

“The purpose and benefit of disenchantment and dispassion is the knowledge and vision of liberation.

“Thus, Ānanda, (1)–(2) the purpose and benefit of wholesome virtuous behavior is non-regret; (3) the purpose and benefit of non-regret is joy; (4) the purpose and benefit of joy is rapture; (5) the purpose and benefit of rapture is tranquility; (6) the purpose and benefit of tranquility is pleasure; (7) the purpose and benefit of pleasure is concentration; (8) the purpose and benefit of concentration is the knowledge and vision of things as they really are; (9) the purpose and benefit of the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is disenchantment and dispassion; and (10) the purpose and benefit of disenchantment and dispassion is the knowledge and vision of liberation. Thus, Ānanda, wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.”

Sounds complex, yet it is so simple.