Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Telepathy’ or just coincidences? pls help?

Ideh

Okay, so basically this really weird ‘thing’ has been happening to me for a while now. It started with like this: WHENEVER I think of someone, they appear in my life, literally out of nowhere. Like a month ago I suddenly started thinking about a cousin of mine that I haven’t spoken to or thought of for years. She just randomly popped into my head and 2 minutes later she called me. Stuff like this would happen ALL the time. I’d would think of someone, and then they’d either text or call me, or walk into me at the grocery store or something like that a few minutes later. I thought nothing of it at first, it just happened bizarrely often.. Anyways, lately this ‘thing’ is becoming stronger and it’s sort of freaking me out? I used to just brush it off as weird coincidences, but idk anymore. It’s hard to explain, but it’s so much more ‘specific’ now, if that makes sense. Like the other day I was on my way home and OUT OF NOWHERE an old friend of mine popped into my head, (also haven’t spoken to this person for years) and idk why, but I just randomly imagined us going shopping together. My phone screen lights up 2 minutes later and when I saw her name I just felt my heart drop lol - I know it sounds dramatic, but as I mentioned this thing is starting to bug me. Then I read the text, and she’s like ‘I know this is so random and we haven’t seen each other for a while, but do you wanna go shopping with me today?’ Okay so at this point I was still ‘in denial’, I thought it was REALLYYYY WEIRD, but I managed to forget about it and just move along. But a few weeks ago it happened again. And it got even more ‘specific’. I was sitting in class and I got anxiety, so I told my teacher that I had to pee, and went to a random empty classroom on the other side of the school. I sat in there for about 20 minutes - and suddenly I started thinking about this guy that I sometimes see in the hallways. I know his name, but I don’t know him personally. Anyways, our school is huge, there are billions of classrooms and everyone had lectures at the time, the hallways were all empty. But yeah, as I mentioned I just sat in there for 20 minutes, thinking about random stuff. Then this guy popped into my head and for some reason, I imagined what it would be like if he walked into the room I was sitting in? Weirdest thing is that I don’t even have a crush on him or anything like that - I’ve never thought about him for one second before that. But for some reason, I randomly imagined him opening the door, and saying hi. What happens 5-6 minutes later? Exactly that. The door opens, the guy I was thinking about walks in, and he said something in the lines of ‘Hi! sorry, didn’t think anyone was in here’ and then he left. I think I looked like I had seen a ghost lol. it just creeped me out, cause what’s the chance? Or maybe it‘s all just coincidences, idk man. I honestly don’t believe in this psychic/paranormal whatever u wanna call it stuff. i don’t even know how I ended up on this website.. but these eerie occurrences are starting to put me on edge. am I overthinking it? what do you guys think? 

• Like 3

Hi Ideh. :st Welcome to UM.

I would say these were definitely not coincidences because they happen too often and are too specific. You are picking up other's thoughts about you, I think, rather than you thinking about someone, them picking that up and acting on it. This is different from the episode with the guy walking into the classroom, which is more like a premonition.

• Like 3

If this is something that happens often, and there is no conventional explanation for it, I would guess that you are psychically 'linking in' to people.

It's something I do regularly. Sometimes it's extremely useful, and at other times it's rather unhelpful, but you learn to live with it.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, acute said:

If this is something that happens often, and there is no conventional explanation for it, I would guess that you are psychically 'linking in' to people.

It's something I do regularly. Sometimes it's extremely useful, and at other times it's rather unhelpful, but you learn to live with it.

Or it's just the pattern recognition part of our brains doing its job.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like just another case of confirmation bias...

But the thing is, I don’t believe in that sort of stuff. I’ve never researched it or thought about it - how can I be biased in any way? If anything, it’s the other way around - I labeled every single ‘encounter’ a coincidence, because I didn’t want it to be more. Until it just became too strange and specific. I have sooo many other examples, but it would take me hours to write down here. I still don’t know what it means or how it happens. All I know these days is that it started with me somehow unconsciously ‘knowing’ when someone is about to pop up in my life - and now it seems like I somehow know what their intentions are or what they are going to say/do beforehand. Again, unconsciously. It’s not because I’m like “Jamie is gonna call me today and ask me if I wanna go on a roadtrip” .. But more me randomly thinking what if Jamie called me today.. what if we went on a roadtrip, then imagining how it would be - and boom, they hit me up minutes later asking if I wanna go on a roadtrip. See? I’m not saying I’m SURE that it’s more than coincidences, but sometimes it’s just.. too specific for me to believe it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Ideh
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Ideh said:

I honestly don’t believe in this psychic/paranormal whatever u wanna call it stuff. i don’t even know how I ended up on this website.. but these eerie occurrences are starting to put me on edge. am I overthinking it? what do you guys think? 

Hi,

This is a good group for you to share these experiences with. Most of the members here do not believe in this psychic stuff. A few of us do however. There is no way to truly understand how these things happen in a logical way.

In your case it may be best to not overthink it. Just kind of accept that it happens and be relaxed about it.

John

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Well, you know, some say there is no such thing as coincidence - that everything happens for a reason.  Part of me likes to believe this, but part of me doesn't.  I've had things like this happen, and I've had other experiences that synch up so perfectly it's hard to imagine they just "worked out" that way on their own.  These kind of things make life interesting.  It does sound like you're going through some anxiety, and maybe that's contributing a bit to your feelings.  I would take a deep breath and relax; try some yoga or something, and enjoy these experiences.  You could certainly be very sensitive to the energies around you, and this could be a big benefit to you in life!

Its not magic, it's psychology.

https://www.healthguidance.org/entry/18842/1/the-psychology-of-coincidence.html

4 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Then maybe the magic is in our brains recognizing the patterns? Either way, it still seems unusual to me.  I'm not buying the part (in your article) about just noticing something earlier in the day but not remembering....:blink:

Doesn't matter if you buy into or not. You've no idea how much stimuli we process during the day. 

It seems like confirmation bias, you need to document everytime you think of someone, how they are related to you, approximate distance from you and did they infact meet you. A spreadsheet could be useful for this.