Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sunken Russian warship may contain gold

The Caspian Hare

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/2155798/race-russian-warships-5500-boxes-gold-after-wreck-found-waters

Divers off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo have discovered the fabled wreck of the Dmitrii Donskoi, a Russian warship that was sunk in 1905 and is rumoured to still contain 5,500 boxes of gold bars and coins said to be worth US$133 billion.

The badly damaged Russian Imperial Navy cruiser was located by manned submersibles at a depth of 434 metres about 1.3km off Ulleungdo on Sunday morning.

The Seoul-based maritime salvage company Shinil Group has been searching for the precise site of the wreck for several years and put together a team of experts from South Korea, China, Britain and Canada for this year’s effort.

Video footage released by the company shows images of extensive damage to the 5,800-tonne warship, which was scuttled after an encounter with Japanese warships in May 1905.

Edited by The Caspian Hare
correct title
  • Like 5

I wonder if they'll treat the wreck with due respect.

Yes, I somehow doubt it too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder what the Salvage laws say about the finder's reward?

• Like 3

Am I the only one that thinks carrying 133 billion dollars of gold aboard a naval warship, to pay for wages and what not, that could be attacked at any moment...excessive? 

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I wonder if they'll treat the wreck with due respect.

Yes, I somehow doubt it too.  

nice of you to think of the dead. 

$130 Billion Worth Of Gold Found On Sunken Russian Warship

What’s better than finding the wreckage of a scuttled legendary warship? Finding one filled with $130 billion worth of gold. Sunday, a team of South Korean, British and Canadian divers discovered the wreck of a sunken Russian warship that is believed to contain 200 tons of gold bullion and coins, equivalent to $130 billion, according to The Daily Telegraph. The wreckage of the Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo, at more than 1,400 feet below sea level.

Read more: http://www.kitco.com/news/2018-07-18/-130-Billion-Worth-Of-Gold-Found-On-Sunken-Russian-Warship.html

• Like 6

''The Telegraph reported that half of the treasure found would be handed over to the Russian government ''

That should be a good news for Putin in these difficult economic times.

Edited by Brother_Spirit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Am I the only one that thinks carrying 133 billion dollars of gold aboard a naval warship, to pay for wages and what not, that could be attacked at any moment...excessive? 

They had to pay out the nose for port and refueling while sailing from the Baltic to Pacific. The fleet that was destroyed in 1905 was one of the most colossally incompetent missions in history. Someone even convinceed the tzar to  throw in obsolete coastal patrol boats under the theory that they could just overwhelm the Japanese with sheer numbers.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that amount is too high.   Probably allot less than that.   Still is allot though.  

• Like 2

The precious will be mine all mine...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

They had to pay out the nose for port and refueling while sailing from the Baltic to Pacific. The fleet that was destroyed in 1905 was one of the most colossally incompetent missions in history. Someone even convinceed the tzar to  throw in obsolete coastal patrol boats under the theory that they could just overwhelm the Japanese with sheer numbers.

You’re referring to the naval defeat of Russia by Japan. Sure it was absolute. but 133 billion dollars of gold, on one ship headed to the same environment is kinda negligent too.   nice if they can find the gold. 

• Like 2