Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can Spirits Decide Who Sees Them?

ApollosRobin

Me and my boyfriend pulled up to an old, abandoned church. Around the main building was a small graveyard. I hadn't been there since I was a little girl so he took me. I didn't tell him it was apparently haunted and being from near London, he had never heard of its history. 

He later told me he felt uneasy the moment he entered the grounds, like someone was following us and watching. He doesn't believe in ghosts, keep that in mind. 

Well, I blissfully walked around looking at the graves. He just turned and walked away. I shouted after him but he just walked away. Later on he told me he saw a figure standing by some graves. From the corner of his eye he saw a black figure but only a shoulder, body and what he described as a trench coat. I was stood right there and saw nothing. My boyfriend said it looked like it was hiding behind a tree. 

It was enough to make him apparently run back to the gate of the church, stay silent the whole way home and when talking to me about it, almost break down into tears. He says he has never seen anything like it. 

My question is, why would the spirit show itself to my boyfriend if he was hiding? Can they decide if they are seen or not and who by? Just wondering. He is really shaken up. 

Yes, and they can also decide what they look like. 

23 hours ago, ApollosRobin said:

My question is, why would the spirit show itself to my boyfriend if he was hiding? Can they decide if they are seen or not and who by? Just wondering. He is really shaken up. 

A couple possibilities spring to mind. 

#1 Your boyfriend did not perceive the ghost through physical vision (so not all other people around him will perceive the ghost)

#2 I think a ghost can 'target' the perception of a certain individual

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

#2 I think a ghost can 'target' the perception of a certain individual

:tu:

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

:tu:

thanks for the thumbs-up but, do you think the ghost in such cases is targeting the person's physical or psychic vision-like senses?

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

thanks for the thumbs-up but, do you think the ghost in such cases is targeting the person's physical or psychic vision-like senses?

Psychic. Some are sensitive some aren't.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Piney said:

Yes, and they can also decide what they look like. 

That shadow thing seemed surprised that I could see it. 

• Like 3

Just now, ChaosRose said:

That shadow thing seemed surprised that I could see it. 

They are always surprised when I know exactly what they really are even though they know what I am. 

38 minutes ago, Piney said:

They are always surprised when I know exactly what they really are even though they know what I am. 

After both me and my partner had seen the thing, he had this weird experience where something unseen blew in his face and sort of whispered, "Hessicus."

I looked this up trying to figure out what it meant.

I thought it was some derivative of Hessian, and both of us have some German descent. 

Also, I thought it might be a variation of the name Jessica...which means something like one who sees.

Creepy thing made like a double entendre out of several languages ? 

Edited by ChaosRose

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Creepy thing made like a double entendre out of several languages ? 

My experiences are whether Thought Form or Earthbound they pull directly from the person being haunted's mind. 

Sees strange figure. Doesn't say anything, and leaves. :hmm:

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm call it a figment of the imagination. 

Or fragments of Imaginationism?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 12:32 PM, ApollosRobin said:

My question is, why would the spirit show itself to my boyfriend if he was hiding?

Why a ghost? Why not a homeless person hiding? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

My experiences are whether Thought Form or Earthbound they pull directly from the person being haunted's mind. 

I had enough peripheral knowledge to figure out a Latin ending.

• Like 2

I have experienced some strange things and was not under the influence of any alcohol or medication, drugs neither was i suffering from sleep deprivation  etc...you know what i mean, So yeah i do believe they can choose who sees them cause they're mostly created in our own minds. I once knew a girl who told me she saw gnomes on her windowsill but she was high as a kite.

Edited by Avalanche