Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Branson MO. Duckboat capsizes

and-then

https://heavy.com/news/2018/07/branson-boat-accident-video-death-ducks/

Eleven tourists are dead in Branson, MO after a tourist "DuckBoat" they were riding, capsized in a lake after a sudden storm.

• Sad 5

These crap boxes were always getting into trouble in Philly. They were Marine transports during Vietnam. They're dangerous garbage. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

These crap boxes were always getting into trouble in Philly. They were Marine transports during Vietnam. They're dangerous garbage. :(

There might have been a few Ducks over there at the time but in large the military used AmTracs, usually 2nd generation designs. M113 APC's were used also. I joined the Marines in 1975 and I never saw a Duck on any military base. Just AmTracs and APCs. That doesn't mean they weren't around just that I didn't see any.

http://www.amtrac.org/2atmc/Tracs/gen2.asp

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

There might have been a few Ducks over there at the time but in large the military used AmTracs, usually 2nd generation designs. M113 APC's were used also. I joined the Marines in 1975 and I never saw a Duck on any military base. Just AmTracs and APCs. That doesn't mean they weren't around just that I didn't see any.

http://www.amtrac.org/2atmc/Tracs/gen2.asp

My boss was in the Marines in the 50s and 60s. That's when they used them. But they weren't armoured so it didn't work well in Nam. The brought some out during Gulf War 2 for the Nat Guard and were lining them with flak vests and trauma plates but a IED just shattered them. 

• Like 2

Everyone's quick to jump on the boats but it sounds like the idiots took it out in small craft advisory weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Piney said:

even older than nam, they are ww2 creations

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

even older than nam, they are ww2 creations

I just know they are aluminum beer cans with wheels and my boss rode in one. 

Just now, Piney said:

I just know they are aluminum beer cans with wheels and my boss rode in one. 

pretty much yes, and i'd love to have one.

• Haha 1

This seems to be a picture of one of the actual ones. It does appear to be a genuine WWII DUKW. 

Image result for duck boat capsize

Do they come under the jurisdiction of the Coast Guard? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oniomancer said:

Everyone's quick to jump on the boats but it sounds like the idiots took it out in small craft advisory weather.

have to agree here, water looks very rough for such craft

• Like 2

The death toll has risen to 17 as divers find the bodies of the last 4 people who were missing. Why aren't the boats videoing the sinking going to the rescue? It always upsets me when people are taping and don't seem to be trying to help. I know it's possible they did rescue some of the survivors. They were right on the scene.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-duck-boat-missouri-capsizes-dead-20180719-story.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Philly news aired a segment at noon today about their problems with duck boats. Be sure to watch the video.

http://6abc.com/lawyer-of-victims-in-deadly-philly-duck-boat-crashes-calls-for-shutdown/3793040/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

i have a feeling those things may have been modified to suite new purpose, and that could affect stability,  also weather contributed greatly

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

A coffin on wheels.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, susieice said:

Philly news aired a segment at noon today about their problems with duck boats. Be sure to watch the video.

http://6abc.com/lawyer-of-victims-in-deadly-philly-duck-boat-crashes-calls-for-shutdown/3793040/

Watched it at lunch. He said it perfect "Retire those trashcans". 

• Like 3

I suppose everyone is familiar with them, here's about them DUKW; . They do tend to float very low in the water and are prone to being swamped in heavy seas, but they weren't designed for open-water operation after all, which is why I asked whose jurisdiction they come under; does the Coast Guard licence vessels on inland waters, or do they come under some local authority? 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 2

The news mentioned the NTSB which is the National Transportation Safety Board. They investigate airplane crashes also and make recommendations on how to change the cause. It does look like the Coast Guard also has jurisdiction on inland waterways.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/013987.html

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=regContent

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I suppose everyone is familiar with them, here's about them DUKW; . They do tend to float very low in the water and are prone to being swamped in heavy seas, but they weren't designed for open-water operation after all, which is why I asked whose jurisdiction they come under; does the Coast Guard licence vessels on inland waters, or do they come under some local authority? 

The Coast Guard even on the Tennessee River. No, they weren't designed for open water. That is why the tours in town are never more than fifty yards from shore. They definitely don't go out when the water is rough or a storm is brewing.

It's surprising they're still in service. They weren't meant to last much longer than WWll to serve their purpose.

• Like 3

They were out in winds of 65 mph, too. The local ones don't go out in more than 23 mph or 20 knots. Their canopy would almost make them like a kite in that kind of wind.

• Sad 2

Nine members of one family perished.  I think this might hit Branson in the pocketbook pretty hard.  I assume this vendor was on contract to the resorts in some way... maybe not.  Such a tragic waste.  It could have been avoided.  One survivor of that same family where nine perished stated that the operator of the boat told them not to worry with putting on flotation devices :(   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The NTSB had warned people that using flotation devices could trap you under the canopy. It was heavily suggested that those canopies be removed because of that. It's in the Philly news link.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

The NTSB had warned people that using flotation devices could trap you under the canopy. It was heavily suggested that those canopies be removed because of that. It's in the Philly news link.

The canopy wouldn't have to be removed if the captain had followed basic safety regulations.

• Like 2