Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Introducing rhinos to Australia ?

Unusual Tournament

The case for introducing rhinos to Australia

But why not introduce rhinos to Australia? Before you laugh out loud, consider this.

Australia has abundant savannas, woodlands and rainforests that the various species of rhinos need to survive. And rhinos are generalist grazers or browsers, meaning they are not especially picky about what they eat.

Australia has a strong rule of law and minimal wildlife poaching, with huge numbers of ecotourists who would surely be keen to see spectacular rhinos. One group, the Australian Rhino Project, is already trying to establish a white rhino population in Australasia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-20/the-case-for-introducing-rhinos-to-australia/10018118

• Like 4

I dunno...it seems like whenever anyone has gone...what could possibly go wrong...

something does.

• The title was changed to Introducing rhinos to Australia ?

On the surface, it is attractive, maybe some more research should be done.  There is a similar proposal to introduce mega fauna  to the central US prairie.  Big animals might be easier to keep an eye on than cane toads or rabbits, but they bring along baggage. Ticks and tape worms and bacteria and viruses  that might cause unforeseen problems.  Not to say we shouldn't do it, but we should learn from past experiments gone wrong, at least from our point of view.  Maybe the foxes, goats, camels, pigs, cane toads, and rabbits think it was a great idea.

• Like 2

Seems to be worth doing some research.   With such a small chance of populations getting out of control, it is already a better idea than the toads.  

• Like 1

It's hard to imagine any more precious or unique ecosystem than Australia though, or one that's getting more of a hiding. I'm no biologist, I just do the history of what's in my opinion the greatest loss that took place in it, but I think there must be better places. 

22 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Big animals might be easier to keep an eye on than cane toads or rabbits, but they bring along baggage. Ticks and tape worms and bacteria and viruses  that might cause unforeseen problems.

This is true and very worrying. Surely Australia's wildlife has had enough. 

• Like 1

My neighbour shoots 30 to 40 roos a day on his place,no permit or tags.Thats what most rural Australians think of native wildlife,so introduced animals have no chance.Bad idea.