Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camping Experience [Really Creepy]

Drayven

**As a reminder, I’m still not sure what exactly happened during the night I am going to describe, and neither do my friends. We’re thinking of it as somebody who tried to play a joke on us, or just a single incident since nothing weird happened afterwards**

My buddies and I are horror fans. Last Friday, on Friday the 13th three of my buddies, one of their girlfriends  and I decided to go camping. It was around the area of Hardwick NJ since we live pretty close to there. On the campground were cabins spread with forest around them,   areas to put tents down and a pretty big lake down further. One of my three friends and his girlfriend slept in the cabin because his girlfriend wasn’t a fan of camping outside. The rest of us, only three of us, needed to bring only one tent (we have a tent that has two different rooms with the zipper in between them). We all stayed in the same room and brought some scary movies to watch. Usually we pull all-nighters but this time, at around 11pm, we all got tired and fell asleep while watching the movie. 

I’m not sure what time it was, but at a little after falling asleep, I woke up to see it was completely dark. The movie had finished and I thought both my friends were asleep. I realized why I woke up. I was hearing footsteps crunching on the ground somewhere around. At first I thought it was our friend who was in the cabin because maybe he had to go to the bathroom. But suddenly one of my friends who was sleeping in the tent too woke up. He heard the same thing I did. And with every second we were listening, it sounded like the footsteps were coming closer to the tent. We must’ve been half asleep because I don’t remember much of it. I do remember though that as the footsteps got closer it was accompanied by loud, deep, slow breathing. 

Our tent had windows in the form of small squares but when I lifted myself up to get a quick glance, I couldn’t see anything but darkness. Since others might’ve been camping around in the cabins and stuff, we brushed it off as an animal or another harmless camper. So we fell asleep.

The next morning, the creepiest thing I ever experienced happened. My two friends and I sleeping in the tent got up to go outside and wake up our friend and his girlfriend in the cabin. But when we unzipped the tent and got out, around the back of the tent, similar to the area where we heard the footsteps and breathing coming from, was a kitchen knife stuck into the dirt. 

I honestly don’t know what to say about this besides the fact that it was creepy as hell. :wacko::ph34r:

• Like 2

I would go with mmmmmm. But All that aside, glad u guys are okay!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m have an extreme case of deja vu. I swear I’ve heard this story before. Camping and watching movies...so familiar. Weird. 

• Like 2

One vote for one of your friends playing a practical joke on you. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

I’m have an extreme case of deja vu. I swear I’ve heard this story before. Camping and watching movies...so familiar. Weird. 

Probably because when camping, lots of people watch movies. 

27 minutes ago, Drayven said:

Sounds like a local's practical joke. When I was a teen we messed with campers and Boy Scouts all the time and if they acted like asses somewhere, we went full tilt with the Jersey Devil or inbred Piney routine. 

1 hour ago, Drayven said:

I never watched a single movie out camping. I usually spend the nights fishing or have a bonfire or just drinking. Watching a movie while camping just seems to make the point of camping pointless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drayven said:

I’ve never watched movies when camping, rarely have any electronics at all. 

Anyhow, I’ve read a very similar story by someone. They were even camping on a Friday the 13th and heard stuff and found stuff. Crazy!

• Like 1

@NightScreams and @SecretSanta, yeah I would take the more traditional outdoor camping any day over powered camping at a campground with people and cabins close by. These days the kids would probably all take their tablets and watch movies the whole time too.

No one around, a good fire, drinks, fishing, exploring and a deck of cards. No movies.

As for your Friday 13 story @Drayven, I think it’s a pretty big coincidence that Hardwick NJ is the home to:

https://g.co/kgs/hfZuN4

0948549C-0F4B-45F6-9B3A-B75BAE6EE904.jpeg

And then from http://fridaythe13th.wikia.com/wiki/Camp_Crystal_Lake : ‘Camp Crystal Lake, later known as Camp Forest Green for a time, and colloquially known as Camp Blood, is a fictional summer camp for kids in the Friday the 13th film series

So I vote creepy pasta type story, or practical joke. 

Edited by Timothy
Moved image.
  • Haha 1

Most likely your mates, then other campers or locals trying to scare you or the worst, a psycho rapist or killer.I'd take a dog with me next time to warn you, just in case.

• Like 1

One dog won't do it better take three, borrow your neighbors ... now this is spelled wrong ...Sheetzoo because there's one around here and he seriously thinks he's a general!

Oh yes, lastly if a couple dogs, its amazing what courage everyone has, simple, nothing special, just a dog, but -- a dog is better than going it alone day OR! Night!

uh-oh posted over oh wellzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MWoo7 said:

One dog won't do it better take three, borrow your neighbors ... now this is spelled wrong ...Sheetzoo because there's one around here and he seriously thinks he's a general!

Or,the mighty Jack Russell.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

Or,the mighty Jack Russell.

I'd forgot, yes the neighborhood ??? I think he's a Sheeetszoo, we've name it THE GENERAL, cats , squirrels our shepards THE GEESE aLL mind their manners when that little tyke is around.

THANKS!!!! forgot about the infamous rather-- FAMOUS JACK RUSSELL! oh yes, second to none for griz or blackbear tearing the squirrel and bird feeders down, too!!!! FAST! those little ones, after a minute the bear are like SCREW THIS! and head for the hills, toooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MWoo7
and typo ... now correct to ALL
  • Like 1

I've heard they use them in the states for treeing bears,we use them here for everything from catching rats and snakes to flushing wild boars out of scrub and keeping unruly campers at bay in this case.:D

13 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

I'd forgot, yes the neighborhood ??? I think he's a Sheeetszoo, we've name it THE GENERAL, cats , squirrels our shepards THE GEESE aLL mind their manners when that little tyke is around.

THANKS!!!! forgot about the infamous rather-- FAMOUS JACK RUSSELL! oh yes, second to none for griz or blackbear tearing the squirrel and bird feeders down, too!!!! FAST! those little ones, after a minute the bear are like SCREW THIS! and head for the hills, toooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1